** The General Election Thread **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Post by Psamathe »

So May is not insisting she will be serving a full term. In which case why is she recruiting new Downing St staff on fixed 2 year term contracts!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-downing-street-fixed-term-quit-resign-departure-date-brexit-a7836551.html

But I did think it amusing the other day when a reporter pointed out her concern for the "Just About Managing" and now she is only "Just About Managing" (to hold on to her job and do do her job).

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

She's taking aim at her feet again. :roll:

Theresa May's employment adviser suggests people who pay workers in cash are not 'good citizens'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... y-workers/
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

I'm going to have to stop following this thread — I'm developing neck strain from constantly shaking my head in disbelief. :?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:She's taking aim at her feet again. :roll:

Theresa May's employment adviser suggests people who pay workers in cash are not 'good citizens'

Ain't that the truth.
The multinationals rob the exchequer of billions,and negotiate their own tax rates(Google @ 3%)yet this moron adviser complains about paying people for work done in coin of the realm! :?
One has to ask,would anyone trust the banks with their money these days?
Not so much taking aim at the fetlocks more like blowing the entire legs to smithereens :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:She's taking aim at her feet again. :roll:

Ain't that the truth.
The multinationals rob the exchequer of billions,and negotiate their own tax rates(Google @ 3%)yet this moron adviser complains about paying people for work done in coin of the realm! :?

Which is also the only legal tender people are obliged to accept as payment. What the advisor is saying goes against the whole concept of legal tender.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The multinationals rob the exchequer of billions,and negotiate their own tax rates(Google @ 3%)yet this moron adviser complains about paying people for work done in coin of the realm! :?
Which is also the only legal tender people are obliged to accept as payment. What the advisor is saying goes against the whole concept of legal tender.
No. I think the 'coin of the realm' clause was embodied in the old Truck Acts which were repealed in the 1960s onwards. One of those archaic laws with the same status as that "Kill a Scotsman in York" one, I reckon.....

Mind you, I recall a story many years ago, about one bright spark of an employer with the idea of paying his workforce in gold sovereigns. Because these are 'legal tender', he was able to get away with paying wages nominally of only "£2" per week - hence no Income Tax, no Nat Insurance. But of course gold sovs are worth a lot more than £1 each. I think the Treasury soon caught up with him.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The multinationals rob the exchequer of billions,and negotiate their own tax rates(Google @ 3%)yet this moron adviser complains about paying people for work done in coin of the realm! :?
No. I think the 'coin of the realm' clause was embodied in the old Truck Acts which were repealed in the 1960s onwards. One of those archaic laws with the same status as that "Kill a Scotsman in York" one, I reckon.....

Mind you, I recall a story many years ago, about one bright spark of an employer with the idea of paying his workforce in gold sovereigns. Because these are 'legal tender', he was able to get away with paying wages nominally of only "£2" per week - hence no Income Tax, no Nat Insurance. But of course gold sovs are worth a lot more than £1 each. I think the Treasury soon caught up with him.

No the concept of legal tender is alive and well under current UK law and must be accepted in payment for money owed eg in payment of a bill or invoice for goods already supplied or work already done. It does not apply to an invitation to treat which is why shops can refuse a £50 note even though it's legal tender.

The truck acts stated that employees must be paid in cash if they so desire. They were introduced in the 1840s( I think) because unscrupulous employers were paying their workers in company tokens which could only be use to buy overpriced and often adulterated or poor quality foodstuffs in company owned shops. It also led to the establishment of the Cooperative movement.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I think maybe we're at cross purposes - but no matter. I know all about certain denominations not being accepted by payees: usually for security or practicality - not legal - reasons. For my weekly bridge sessions I pay £2 'table money' at the door, and I've been careful to always have either two £1 coins, or a £2, in my pocket. On one occasion I tried to pay partly in coppers, and I got a right earful from the secretary ("how am I expected to bag those up?"). And someone else tried to get change from a £20, with similar results.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:No. I think the 'coin of the realm' clause was embodied in the old Truck Acts which were repealed in the 1960s onwards. One of those archaic laws with the same status as that "Kill a Scotsman in York" one, I reckon......

.????? :?
No idea what the"Truck Acts" were but I know that some retail establishments can refuse plastic cards and cheques below a certain amount if they so desire.
It's also neither illegal or immoral to ask to be paid in cash ie; money, legal tender,otherwise loosely(sorry)known as "coin of the realm"which also includes paper money or the new plastic fivers which say "I promise to pay the bearer" and that includes Scottish paper money :D

I listened to JV on Radio 2 the other day discussing the issue,the was a chap claiming he paid his window cleaner by bank transfer :shock:
He wouldn't have been able to see through them if he lived around here :mrgreen:
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

There's a difference here between the 'law' and what's acceptable practice. Only recently we had the row over the non-vegetarian plastic fivers, being refused in some shops. That refusal was, I believe, within the stated Law but may not have been very convenient to people trying their best to pay.

Anyway the Truck Acts, which were variously enacted between the 17th and 19th centuries, were basically a means of preventing unscrupulous employers from paying their workers in kind - in sackfuls of their own produce, for example. This practice fell not far short of slavery - which was still rampant in those days.

Actually, sadly there's still slavery around even today. Even in Western countries like the UK. Which political party is going to address that?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:.
Actually, sadly there's still slavery around even today. Even in Western countries like the UK. Which political party is going to address that?

Oh there's still slavery alright and if capitalism gets it's way there'll be even more,it's no wonder capitalism is against trade unions!
W H Auden