** The General Election Thread **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:What substance are you on R2? :lol: Not much substance there...

No, just the lesser evil.

Al

Old man,I am on the tablet of Samsung that maketh the ache pain a rarety within this domain.A greater substance has thou to paint the blackest picture of our knight, I take it thou keepest a check on thy purse, for fearsome are they of great wealth of sword of truth when it be weilded....

I thought you Northerners were known for plain speaking? Is that all you can come up with? Anyway, I have to board a ship now :D ta ta...

Al

Saileth thou to yon far horizon,thou canst escape the sickly apple's effects on those that waves thee off, for thou hast to return
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

irc wrote:... Just being realistic I would say. Nobody, politician or not, is perfect. A choice often has to be made from options which are all flawed in some respect.

All very true, but that's not what I was getting at. Not so long ago, she was being portrayed on here as the best thing that could have happened to us. As good as it might get. The reality is turning out to be a little different. Let's remember, she got in as the Stop Boris choice. He could be in the repechage sooner than even he dared to hope.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:Corbyns policies would lead to a resurgence of proper inflation, not the faux inflation the media are currently getting their knickers in a twist over.

His spending plans, public sector pay rises, increased bargaining powers for unions, combined with Brexit and a weaker £ will be the fuel for the inflation fire. Interest rates will rise and we'll likely end up with collapsing house prices and a recession. The sharp rise in corporation tax will add to the shock as external investment collapses.

The scary thing is most under 30s don't know what a proper recession or inflation is so can be easily deduced by Corbyns promises of pay rises and money for everyone.

Even scarier is that a majority of voters now have no recollection of what things were like in the 1970's - the last time we had policies like the ones Corbyn supports. They don't recall, at least as an adult, the endless strikes and union bosses parked out at Number Ten, the exchange controls needed to prop up a constantly falling pound, the very high rates of income tax that drove many of the brightest to emigrate, and more than anything the feeling that the nation was in a terminal decline.

Corbyn (and indeed Abbott and McDonnell) have demonstrated a continued sympathy with terrorism against the UK and it's allies over a long period that reveal their natural inclinations. They opposed the Anglo Irish Agreement which brought peace to Northern Ireland. McDonnell has supported rioting in London. Corbyn called for NATO to be closed down. Abbott wished for the defeat of the UK state by the IRA. Suddenly we are supposed to believe their views have changed now they are seeking office.

Only one way to vote, lesser of the evils...

Al

Project fear is alive and well it would seem and now the tool of the political right.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Corbyns policies would lead to a resurgence of proper inflation, not the faux inflation the media are currently getting their knickers in a twist over.

His spending plans, public sector pay rises, increased bargaining powers for unions, combined with Brexit and a weaker £ will be the fuel for the inflation fire. Interest rates will rise and we'll likely end up with collapsing house prices and a recession. The sharp rise in corporation tax will add to the shock as external investment collapses.

The scary thing is most under 30s don't know what a proper recession or inflation is so can be easily deduced by Corbyns promises of pay rises and money for everyone.

Even scarier is that a majority of voters now have no recollection of what things were like in the 1970's - the last time we had policies like the ones Corbyn supports. They don't recall, at least as an adult, the endless strikes and union bosses parked out at Number Ten, the exchange controls needed to prop up a constantly falling pound, the very high rates of income tax that drove many of the brightest to emigrate, and more than anything the feeling that the nation was in a terminal decline.

Corbyn (and indeed Abbott and McDonnell) have demonstrated a continued sympathy with terrorism against the UK and it's allies over a long period that reveal their natural inclinations. They opposed the Anglo Irish Agreement which brought peace to Northern Ireland. McDonnell has supported rioting in London. Corbyn called for NATO to be closed down. Abbott wished for the defeat of the UK state by the IRA. Suddenly we are supposed to believe their views have changed now they are seeking office.

Only one way to vote, lesser of the evils...

Al

Project fear is alive and well it would seem and now the tool of the political right.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:
irc wrote:... Just being realistic I would say. Nobody, politician or not, is perfect. A choice often has to be made from options which are all flawed in some respect.

All very true, but that's not what I was getting at. Not so long ago, she was being portrayed on here as the best thing that could have happened to us. As good as it might get. The reality is turning out to be a little different. Let's remember, she got in as the Stop Boris choice. He could be in the repechage sooner than even he dared to hope.

Many a true word...........
W H Auden
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

al_yrpal wrote:Yeah, well you were obviously still in nappys.

Classy!

I wasn't in nappies. I know what was wrong with Britain, and I understand what was wrong with the unions. In short, I am not naive and I have no rose tinted spectacles. But look around you and see what we have lost since then. Your view of the 1970s only accounts for half the story.

I find it a bit odd that your voting intentions are affected by what happened nearly 50 years ago. Personally, I won't vote Tory because of their behaviour during the General Strike in 1926.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:

Classy!

I wasn't in nappies. I know what was wrong with Britain, and I understand what was wrong with the unions. In short, I am not naive and I have no rose tinted spectacles. But look around you and see what we have lost since then. Your view of the 1970s only accounts for half the story.

I find it a bit odd that your voting intentions are affected by what happened nearly 50 years ago. Personally, I won't vote Tory because of their behaviour during the General Strike in 1926.

Yer my kinda elephant,err I,I,mean man or woman,whichever applies :)
W H Auden
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

reohn2 wrote:Yer my kinda elephant,err I,I,mean man or woman,whichever applies :)

Elephants are famous for holding a grudge. I haven't used an Edison Screw bulb since he may or may not have electrocuted an elephant in 1903 (when Al was in nappies himself).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Yer my kinda elephant,err I,I,mean man or woman,whichever applies :)

Elephants are famous for holding a grudge. I haven't used an Edison Screw bulb since he may or may not have electrocuted an elephant in 1903 (when Al was in nappies himself).

I don't remember :wink:
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

bovlomov wrote:

Personally I won't vote for them because of the way the party treated Sir Robert Peel over the corn laws.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I won't vote for them after watching their leader on TV tonight,I think the term is 'fur coat and no knickers' or if you prefer 'lace curtains up at the windows and no sheets on the bed'
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:I won't vote for them after watching their leader on TV tonight,I think the term is 'fur coat and no knickers' or if you prefer 'lace curtains up at the windows and no sheets on the bed'

"The lath painted to look like iron is seen to be but a lath" to quote Somerset Maugham.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I won't vote for them after watching their leader on TV tonight,I think the term is 'fur coat and no knickers' or if you prefer 'lace curtains up at the windows and no sheets on the bed'

"The lath painted to look like iron is seen to be but a lath" to quote Somerset Maugham.

Oh,but we're I so cultured as some :roll: :wink:
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Oh,but we're I so cultured as some :roll: :wink:

Paxman summed her up best though " blowhard who collapses at the first sign of gunfire"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:Paxman summed her up best though " blowhard who collapses at the first sign of gunfire"

I'm forced to agree :)
W H Auden