Make Your choice of Political leader

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

if you had to choose, which of the following 2 politicians would you want as leader?

Margaret Thatcher
42%
Tony Blair
58%

Total votes: 26

broadway

Re: Make Your choice of Political leader

Post by broadway »

Ben@Forest wrote:Whatever you think of her l think Thatcher was sincere in what she believed and lived her life, including after leaving office to that code. Blair is far more of a chancer, far more out for 'what he could get' both in political terms and after leaving the political arena.

It is interesting that both were/are convinced Christians, as is Tim Farron. Makes you wonder if that type of belief helps you justify, in your own mind, the rightness of your cause.

Aren't you forgetting May?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:.....The lesser of two weevils.

The lesser of two weasels.....

I'm with Gaz.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

Too shoot or vote for ?

Vote, I'd vote for any living creature before Thatcher so Blair by default.

Shoot, Blair because the witch is already dead.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Would sir prefer plague or cholera with his brandy?

Having watched both from afar with a disinterested eye I'd take Blair - he may have been a lying brown-nosed poodle wrt Dubya but he did less anti-EU whining than Maggie.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Lesser evil ...Blair. At least he, unlike Thatcher, was intent on destroying those who lived elsewhere. Thatcher was simply a vicious Tory who, unlike e.g. May, didn't even try to hide her hatred of the poor and disabled and disadvantaged.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Paulatic wrote:At least I was happy when we had Blair
Life was so bitter and divided, created huge turmoil to family life as we knew it under The evil Thatcher.
Or maybe it's always like that under a Tory gov?

I understand that for many people who lived in Mining towns etc, Thatcher was and is still seen as the devil. I grew up in a family whose parents were self employed and struggled to keep going when the power went out during the endless strikes of the 70's and 80's. Its a tough job trying to balance the books after a left wing party leaves the office...... :roll:

Thatcher any day over Blair! :evil: What is it they say never talk about politics or religion.....
Last edited by hjd10 on 20 Apr 2017, 6:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bob the Builder?

you are lucky I am not in the list
you are lucky I am not in the list
Last edited by mercalia on 20 Apr 2017, 4:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

hjd10 wrote:What is they say never talk about politics or religion.....

i dunno, i don't think it's fair to think less of somebody because of their perspective. that's my biggest gripe about politics, people do.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:Bob the Builder?

you are lucky I am not in the list.JPG

No, Fireman Sam is the one for me, he can resist any storm

Pontypandy for capital city! Looks very like Penmaenmawr :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

hjd10 wrote:
Life was so bitter and divided, created huge turmoil to family life as we knew it under The evil Thatcher.

I understand that for many people who lived in Mining towns etc, Thatcher was and is still seen as the devil. I grew up in a family whose parents were self employed and struggled to keep going when the power went out during the endless strikes of the 70's and 80's. Its a tough job trying to balance the books after a left wing party leaves the office...... :roll:

Thatcher any day over Blair! :evil: What is it they say never talk about politics or religion.....

We all had power cuts not just the self employed.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hjd10 wrote:I understand that for many people who lived in Mining towns etc, Thatcher was and is still seen as the devil. I grew up in a family whose parents were self employed and struggled to keep going when the power went out during the endless strikes of the 70's and 80's. Its a tough job trying to balance the books after a left wing party leaves the office...... :roll:

I was a miner for 16 years,then I was self employed for the remainder of my working life.
Thatcher was evil,so was Blair.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hjd10 wrote:I understand that for many people who lived in Mining towns etc, Thatcher was and is still seen as the devil. I grew up in a family whose parents were self employed and struggled to keep going when the power went out during the endless strikes of the 70's and 80's. Its a tough job trying to balance the books after a left wing party leaves the office...... :roll:

I was a miner for 16 years,then I was self employed for the remainder of my working life.
Thatcher was evil,so was Blair,but if I had to choose it wouldn't be Thatcher not by a long shot,a wicked,wicked,woman.
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote:...
Thatcher was evil,so was Blair,but if I had to choose it wouldn't be Thatcher not by a long shot,a wicked,wicked,woman.

I would agree. Weird thing is, given Thatchers legacy, the hate she still inspires, etc. how Ms May seems to be modelling herself on Thatcher! I can only think it is an indication how May is only interested in her own party and being a "Thatcher" appeals to many of her backbenchers and they keep May in power (rest of us are irrelevant).

Ian
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Paulatic wrote:
hjd10 wrote:

We all had power cuts not just the self employed.

Correct only if you need electric to turn the wheels of your business your stuck. Trying to hold the Country to ransom was never going to work and in the end it didn't matter.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:...

I would agree. Weird thing is, given Thatchers legacy, the hate she still inspires, etc. how Ms May seems to be modelling herself on Thatcher! I can only think it is an indication how May is only interested in her own party and being a "Thatcher" appeals to many of her backbenchers and they keep May in power (rest of us are irrelevant).

Ian

Spot on!
W H Auden