Terrorist vehicle attacks -Shoot the driver

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues
Posts: 6777
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Shoot the driver

Postby Bonefishblues » 22 Apr 2017, 10:09am

[XAP]Bob wrote:Or maybe we should get autonomous vehicles as fast as possible...

Shoot to kill is fine, but already too late. I presume this applies to speeding as well...

There's another potential positive of that technology, you're right.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9502
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Shoot the driver

Postby Cunobelin » 22 Apr 2017, 10:15am

thirdcrank wrote:Fings ain't wot thy used ter be.

Here's a well-executed Traffic Signal no 1 to stop traffic approaching from the front.

th1VQZ8BZG.jpg
Once the vehicle has stopped, if it turns out that the driver is armed "Just give me the gun, sonny, and nobody will get hurt" is the approved form of words.



... and "let him have it" will be the subject of debate for many years after?

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9502
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Shoot the driver

Postby Cunobelin » 22 Apr 2017, 10:16am

thirdcrank wrote:Fings ain't wot thy used ter be.

Here's a well-executed Traffic Signal no 1 to stop traffic approaching from the front.

th1VQZ8BZG.jpg
Once the vehicle has stopped, if it turns out that the driver is armed "Just give me the gun, sonny, and nobody will get hurt" is the approved form of words.



... and "let him have it" will be the subject of debate for many years after?

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9502
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Terrorist vehicle attacks -Shoot the driver

Postby Cunobelin » 22 Apr 2017, 10:17am

Part of the problem is the dodgy legal principle of having to actually commit an offence before you are shot.

landsurfer
Posts: 4962
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Shoot the driver

Postby landsurfer » 22 Apr 2017, 2:19pm

Bonefishblues wrote:There's another potential positive of that technology, you're right.


Until a hacker in Tehran causes all the automatic vehicles in London to suddenly turn sharp left plunging into pedestrians...... :(
Ulster will fight, and Ulster will be right ... Carson.
The Road Goes On Forever ...

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6777
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Shoot the driver

Postby Bonefishblues » 22 Apr 2017, 2:46pm

landsurfer wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:There's another potential positive of that technology, you're right.


Until a hacker in Tehran causes all the automatic vehicles in London to suddenly turn sharp left plunging into pedestrians...... :(

Let's hope really smart people are programming them, eh.

landsurfer
Posts: 4962
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Terrorist vehicle attacks -Shoot the driver

Postby landsurfer » 22 Apr 2017, 4:55pm

I'm a great believer in tech and automatic vehicles .... but if kids in Antrim can hack into Defence computers in America then it will take more than smart programmers to make automatic cars safe ...
Ulster will fight, and Ulster will be right ... Carson.
The Road Goes On Forever ...

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6777
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Terrorist vehicle attacks -Shoot the driver

Postby Bonefishblues » 22 Apr 2017, 5:52pm

Let's give up on it then, shall we? And anything else that might be similarly affected.

I think that your view is pessimistic and fearful in the extreme.

reohn2
Posts: 35909
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Terrorist vehicle attacks -Shoot the driver

Postby reohn2 » 22 Apr 2017, 6:09pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Let's give up on it then, shall we? And anything else that might be similarly affected.

I think that your view is pessimistic and fearful in the extreme.


Oh no he's an optimist,there's a few on here :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

brynpoeth
Posts: 11012
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Terrorist vehicle attacks -Shoot the driver

Postby brynpoeth » 22 Apr 2017, 6:12pm

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Let's give up on it then, shall we? And anything else that might be similarly affected.

I think that your view is pessimistic and fearful in the extreme.


Oh no he's an optimist,there's a few on here :?


There is nothing worse than a young pessimist
Except maybe an old optimist (me for example :))
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Ruadh495
Posts: 413
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:10am

Re: Terrorist vehicle attacks -Shoot the driver

Postby Ruadh495 » 24 Apr 2017, 1:28pm

How about banning driver steered motor vehicles from areas where there are likely to be concentrations of pedestrians (ie urban centres)?

With the road space released, a simple safe technology could take up the need for short range transport; it's called cycling...

Mike Sales
Posts: 3345
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Terrorist vehicle attacks -Shoot the driver

Postby Mike Sales » 24 Apr 2017, 2:54pm

Ruadh495 wrote:How about banning driver steered motor vehicles from areas where there are likely to be concentrations of pedestrians (ie urban centres)?

With the road space released, a simple safe technology could take up the need for short range transport; it's called cycling...



Good idea. After all, if you leave a locked, bare, bike in Whitehall it is liable to confiscation on the grounds it might explode. This even though a bicycle/pipe bomb has never been known. Whereas motor vehicles are a popular terrorist weapon.

For details see john-adams.co.uk/category/bicyclebombs

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16896
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: Shoot the driver

Postby [XAP]Bob » 24 Apr 2017, 4:26pm

landsurfer wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:There's another potential positive of that technology, you're right.


Until a hacker in Tehran causes all the automatic vehicles in London to suddenly turn sharp left plunging into pedestrians...... :(


Yes, because that couldn't happen with the current generation of vehicles...

Oh wait - it can...
When probed by security researchers there have been many instances of 'car hacking' possible - including things like locking the throttle to full, or applying the handbrake....
When the Tesla was probed they could apply the handbrake *if* the car was doing <5mph, but that was the limit of their actions.

Believe it or not the people building these systems do have hackers in mind - and you *can* build secure systems - The edge army systems are about as secure as any corporate network (not very) because they have similar requirements (wide ranging general access from inside, and fairly wide access from outside as well).
A car doesn't need either of those things - the attack surface can be massively reduced.

Although I suppose those same hackers are those who keep taking over airliners and crashing them into buildings...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

landsurfer
Posts: 4962
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Terrorist vehicle attacks -Shoot the driver

Postby landsurfer » 24 Apr 2017, 5:50pm

Your sarcasm drips like venom off the hollow tooth ......
It's hard to get a decent discussion or debate going some days on here ...... :(
Ulster will fight, and Ulster will be right ... Carson.
The Road Goes On Forever ...

peetee
Posts: 1368
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm

Re: Terrorist vehicle attacks -Shoot the driver

Postby peetee » 26 Apr 2017, 12:35am

There is nothing worse than a young pessimist


Pessimism is seen as negativity.
In truth, it's quite the reverse.
Optimists are proven right or dissappointed. That's win/loose.
Pessimists are proven right or pleasantly surprised. That's win/win.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.