Racial Profiling

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ChrisOntLancs

Re: Racial Profiling

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

windysmithy wrote:Anglo Saxon innit.

thank you for providing me with a less self-destructive method of venting my frustration! :lol:
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Completely representative of our household, thanks.

Mine too.

I noticed the phenomenon in a BBC article on heterosexual couples seeking civil partnership rather than marriage (which the law does not currently allow). All the illustrations in the article were of mixed race couples and it looked like they were implying that mixed race couples shouldn't / couldn't have conventional marriages. As half of a married interracial couple, I was wondering if I could get highly offended and sue for loads of money... then decided I couldn't be bothered. My wife couldn't be bothered either.

I think it's just "two for the price of one" on their inclusivity stats.

I don't complete "ethnic origin" forms anymore either. Wife was brought up under Apartheid and resents being asked, so I refuse to complete them in solidarity.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Ruadh495 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Completely representative of our household, thanks.

I don't complete "ethnic origin" forms anymore either. Wife was brought up under Apartheid and resents being asked, so I refuse to complete them in solidarity.

I've never completed these forms either as I resent the fact that if you are white you can be categorised as white or white British but if you are non-white you must break down your non-whiteness (blackness in my case) into Black Caribbean/African/mixed/other. I've never seen one of these forms where I can just be "black British".

No wonder we keep having conversations in this country about integration when it is not even accepted at an official level.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

On race forms can I tick "other" and in the line to describe race I'll put "European"? Why only white British? I'm a mongrel blend of European stock if you go far enough back. 3 generations back I'm English, Welsh, Swedish, German and American that I can remember. There's a story Spanish comes in a little further back. However there's only white British.

BTW I put Jedi for religion on the last census. I didn't see any option that fitted and TBH I resent the state monitoring religion even more than I resent ethnicity being monitored for whatever reason they claim it's for.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

My brother is white his wife is black, it is quite normal. To suggest there is something wrong with that makes your views a bit iffy. A bit like the black man who dragged a black women of a tube train because she had child of mixed race. Broke the child's collar bone or was it the women's?
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Tangled Metal wrote: TBH I resent the state monitoring religion even more than I resent ethnicity being monitored for whatever reason they claim it's for.

How can they check that the races and religions are represented equally in all jobs. Particularly in well paid ones. For instance are those of Indians and Pakistani origin fairly represented in all ranks of the medical profession? How can you shout racism without some evidence?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

landsurfer wrote:
In these adverts all couples are of mixed colour, and the children of these fictious couples are always of mixed colour.

If they had nothing but adverts with mixed race families for the next 20 years, it still wouldn't make up for all the years when minority and mixed race children had to look at television and wonder why there was nobody but white people on it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Why should it be a case of making up for the past?

It should be a case of doing the right thing and moving forward.

They being a Jewish male, when even the diversity cuddling Labour Party institutionally perpetuates discrimination and hatred against them.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Then lets reflect current society, let every 1 in 6 adverts show non white actors and the other 5 white.
Diversity requires equality.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

landsurfer wrote:Then lets reflect current society, let every 1 in 6 adverts show non white actors and the other 5 white.

Diversity does not require equality. It requires equity.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Then let's have some !
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

Boyd wrote:How can they check that the races and religions are represented equally in all jobs

haha i guess you're right. personally i prefer when potential employers speculate on my religion and sexual orientation :mrgreen:
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Vorpal wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Then lets reflect current society, let every 1 in 6 adverts show non white actors and the other 5 white.

How can you have equity without equality?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Ben@Forest wrote:It's been many years since I watched either 'Casualty' or 'Holby City'. I used to see it more often when my wife, who is a nurse, worked on a ward and I think enjoyed pointing out all the things that were wrong, but one thing she used to note was that though it often had characters with a wide spread of ethnicity these were all still British i.e. there was a lack of characters who were foreign-born or trained staff - there was never a character with a strong Nigerian or Portuguese or Singaporean accent.

This was years ago - maybe ten or twelve - so maybe both programmes have changed, but I think the ridiculousness of a city hospital with no foreign staff was pretty plain. My wife is still a nurse but not in a city hospital - and not on a ward - she works almost exclusively with white, British staff.

I often wonder what the CQC would make of it all
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Boyd wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

How can you have equity without equality?

If we take the example of access, it's easy to explain. A shop with steps going up to the entrance treats everyone equally; that is, all users need to go up the steps. If they replace the steps with a ramp, they still treat everyone equally, only now, they are also treating people equitably. Wheelchair and zimmer frame users can get up the ramp, as well as more able-bodied customers.

What if, however, there is no room for a ramp? They can leave the steps in place, but offer an alternative. People who can't manage the steps can go round to the delivery enterance, where there is a small lift.

Now, the customers who cannot manage the steps are treated unequally, but equitably.