Racial Profiling

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
landsurfer

Racial Profiling

Post by landsurfer »

I have just watched a party political broadcast .... I know .... silly.
I also watch adverts, .... banks, building societies, power companies .....

When did it become illegal for couples to both be the same colour?

In these adverts all couples are of mixed colour, and the children of these fictious couples are always of mixed colour.

I am not a racist and yet i still find it strange that as a nation, in advertising, we are all portrayed as couples of mixed colour.
I do know 3 couples here in South Yorkshire, who are of different colours, and dozens of couples that are the same colour.

I wonder why couples in the UK seem to be always portrayed as of mixed colour by the advertising / political industry .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
hondated

Re: Racial Profiling

Post by hondated »

This is one thread I know that will grow and grow for a while. I take your point and like you do not have an answer as we no longer live in the 70s.
Its probably time for the advertising industry to start producing advertisements which do not include white people to give some sense of balance.
The bigger issue for me though is why celebrities are paid millions to advertise products as I for one could not care less when it comes to buying anything.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Have you seen the adverts for " V I POO" .... Beyond horror !!!
Be more Mike.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

whether it's politics, a savings account, somewhere to shop, a new car.... anybody that's trying to sell you something will want to appear as inclusive as possible.

don't worry too much about the world of advertising. they see the world in algorithms and charts.

a lot of the time this supposed pandering is actually quite offensive in the assumption of target audience.

also what hondated said about celebrities.

advertising maaaan, OP is merely scratching the surface of that evil :lol:

a clash song because why not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUzMdKWEouE

also slighty OT, but whenever i'm presented with a form that demands my ethnicity, nationality and sexual preference for the sake of equality, i actually write "if you have to ask, the damage is already done". i can't help it... and it's to my detriment as i'd probably get bumped up the list. i find it offensive though.
Last edited by ChrisOntLancs on 20 Apr 2017, 7:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

There is no event that cannot be assisted by a Clash song ...
Be more Mike.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Completely representative of our household, thanks.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

And .... Depeche Mode. ... ...sorry .....
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:also slighty OT, but whenever i'm presented with a form that demands my ethnicity, nationality and sexual preference for the sake of equality, i actually write "if you have to ask, the damage is already done". i can't help it... and it's to my detriment as i'd probably get bumped up the list. i find it offensive though.

I answer honestly ... Jedi ... Ginger Faction.
Be more Mike.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

well the jedi have had enough problems. i've never been purged... well actually there was that one thing....

it annoys me because people assume it's for me. people feel like because somebody is a minority, they're getting special treatment, when it really isn't the case. it's about making somebody look good, statistics to prove that somebody isn't racist, sexist, homophobic, like we're only there to make the numbers up.

and the sacrifices people have to make to ensure these quotas are met put minorities in a really bad light, validate jealousy, and set the acceptance of minorities back by years.

it's not so bad for us gays, something happened... it's like we gave up on acceptance and instead demanded ambivalence, then things started moving!
Last edited by ChrisOntLancs on 20 Apr 2017, 8:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:There is no event that cannot be assisted by a Clash song ...

+1
Prescience:
If we stay there will be trouble
If we go there will be double

Or the Jam
There's a row going on down near Slough
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 20 Apr 2017, 8:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

landsurfer wrote:
ChrisOntLancs wrote:also slighty OT, but whenever i'm presented with a form that demands my ethnicity, nationality and sexual preference for the sake of equality, i actually write "if you have to ask, the damage is already done". i can't help it... and it's to my detriment as i'd probably get bumped up the list. i find it offensive though.

I answer honestly ... Jedi ... Ginger Faction.

Be careful with the Jedi one.

There was a case at a job centre where a young man claimed that he was being discriminated against his Jedi beliefs, making a formal complaint

Unfortunately one of the managers was a Star Wars Geek

He pointed out that amongst the many requirements was that he had to have made his own light sabre...... if he did not produce, then he was not a true Jedi and hence there was no discrimination
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

Cunobelin wrote:
He pointed out that amongst the many requirements was that he had to have made his own light sabre...... if he did not produce, then he was not a true Jedi and hence there was no discrimination

not enough of a geek, or he'd respect the fact that the surviving jedi had to hide their identity. honestly, your generation, it's like the prequels never happened! :P

Cyril Haearn wrote:
+1
Prescience:
If we stay there will be trouble
If we go there will be double

if adolf hitler flew in today.... also from the same track "this indecision bugging me"

this thread is three different threads and they're all brilliant.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote: ........When did it become illegal for couples to both be the same colour? .....

Who said it ever was?

PS,before you know where we are they'll be allowing those Irish people to marry our English women :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

It's been many years since I watched either 'Casualty' or 'Holby City'. I used to see it more often when my wife, who is a nurse, worked on a ward and I think enjoyed pointing out all the things that were wrong, but one thing she used to note was that though it often had characters with a wide spread of ethnicity these were all still British i.e. there was a lack of characters who were foreign-born or trained staff - there was never a character with a strong Nigerian or Portuguese or Singaporean accent.

This was years ago - maybe ten or twelve - so maybe both programmes have changed, but I think the ridiculousness of a city hospital with no foreign staff was pretty plain. My wife is still a nurse but not in a city hospital - and not on a ward - she works almost exclusively with white, British staff.
windysmithy

Post by windysmithy »

On those forms, i think i have to put "mixed race"

Anglo Saxon innit.