FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
100%JR

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by 100%JR »

Ex Machina dark?
Personally I thought it was just formulatic stuff.
OK but predictable.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

HACKERS with the very young Angelina Jolie is a very very funny film these days. About young hackers, hilarious hearing them talk compuuutors :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[youtube]Bmz67ErIRa4[/youtube]
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

MAN OF STEEL is the best Superman film?

good soundtrack

[youtube]T6DJcgm3wNY[/youtube]
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Profondo Rosso by Dario Argento.

I can recommend the pretty recent disc which has two versions on it.

Yes it's italian but it stars david hemmings.

Yes it's a horror film but in my opinion a masterpiece.

There's even a (credible) theory that underneath the horror and style it is about the italian buried memory of fascism.

Might change syrupy views about italian families.
Sweep
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:MAN OF STEEL is the best Superman film?

Right up until the stupid fight at the end.

CGI has a lot to answer for...
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

good soundtrack

I find myself wondering how he shaves - Gilette Kryptonite blades?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Audax67 wrote:

good soundtrack

I find myself wondering how he shaves - Gilette Kryptonite blades?

hmm you must watch The Big Bang Theory as thats the sort of thing they discuss there :wink:

since he aint human maybe he dont grow whiskers. What about hair cut? angle grinder each strand?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

You can see his 5 o'clock shadow in the trailer.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'Allied' (2016) starring Marion Cotillard and Brad Pitt.

I did want to see this when it was in the cinema but just didn't get around to it. Anyway, It popped up on the box this week and I was quite surprised by this WW2 spy yarn and it's easily the best film I've seen Brad Pitt in as lead actor and so much better than 'Fury' and the violent 'Inglourious Basterds' (yes, that's the way they spell it). Marion Cotillard is superb as the French Resistance fighter turned docile suburban wife but will her past catch up with her? 8/10.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Spinners.
Yes a good film with an unusual story.Brad Pitt is a fine actor IMO,the mark of a good actor is to see the character and not the actor and I see this in most if not all BP films.
BTW a great film IMO is The American starring George Clunney,minimal acting and an inevitable story.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'A Boy, A Girl And A Bike' (1949) starring John McCallum, Honor Blackman, Patrick Holt and Diana Dors.

The whirl of wheels on the open road! I spotted this on Talking Pictures during last week and recorded it to watch over the weekend. It's a very simple film and IMBd's categorisation of "Comedy, Romance, Drama" is all spot-on but in a very gentle way. I've always been jealous of the older members of my cycling club who enjoyed cycling in the days of there being far fewer cars on the road (and no Sunday shopping!!) and this film gives a wonderful window into that world, in fact it probably goes back a bit further than my oldest clubmates can remember. To be honest, there's not much plot but it's a delightful film spoilt only with some horrible back projection. But with the Yorkshire scenery plus both Honor Blackman and Diana Dors in shorts, what's not to like? 7/10.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Spinners wrote:Image

'A Boy, A Girl And A Bike' (1949) starring John McCallum, Honor Blackman, Patrick Holt and Diana Dors.

The whirl of wheels on the open road! I spotted this on Talking Pictures during last week and recorded it to watch over the weekend. It's a very simple film and IMBd's categorisation of "Comedy, Romance, Drama" is all spot-on but in a very gentle way. I've always been jealous of the older members of my cycling club who enjoyed cycling in the days of there being far fewer cars on the road (and no Sunday shopping!!) and this film gives a wonderful window into that world, in fact it probably goes back a bit further than my oldest clubmates can remember. To be honest, there's not much plot but it's a delightful film spoilt only with some horrible back projection. But with the Yorkshire scenery plus both Honor Blackman and Diana Dors in shorts, what's not to like? 7/10.

Yes it is good. Yes a bit of back projection but not too bad/doesn't spoil things - and even the master Hitchcock was wont to use some awful back projection at times. And as for the back projection in that mess The Wicked Lady - that is truly beyond bad. On horses! And as you say there is a lot of genuine location work/shooting in that film.

There is also some genuine social commentary and realism in the thing. In an age when most Brit films were still stuck in the drawing room with folk with strangled accents.

I thought Honor Blackman very good. Dors? - still at the puppyfat stage.

Couldn't help but wonder what BSA thought of one of their apparent dealers being involved in bike stealing and illegal betting rackets. Unless I got something wrong.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vice starring Bale from Wales looks interesting
The Grauniad reviewer was unsure whether it was very good or very bad, that is reason enough to see it, for me :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tim Burtons "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"

[youtube]tV_IhWE4LP0[/youtube]

about children with special talents who live safely in daily time loops

I bet many here would like at the moment to escape to a moment in time other than the present
Cyril Haearn

Re: FILUMS ..to see

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Pet Semetary looks interesting, but could seeing a horror film be psychologically harmful? Anyone here like horror films?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies