FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
landsurfer

FILUMS ..to see.

Post by landsurfer »

Ghost in the Shell ... true to the Anime .... GITS SAC ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
rjb

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by rjb »

Dr. Strangelove,
a foretaste of things to come before Donald Trump and Kim Jong-Un loose it. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Zoomania / Zootopia 2016
The best part is when Judy Hopps, a little rabbit, gets the train into town. There is a cable car too
Judy joins the cops and Bogo the chief (a wildebeest) puts her on parking duty, he expects her to issue 100 tickets in a day
One hundred? says Judy. I will issue 200. Before lunch. She does
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I only ever watch films a few years after they show on the flicks when I can download them...

Hot Fuzz
Tucker and Dale vs.Evil
Zombieland
windysmithy

Post by windysmithy »

Chiraq

wasnt too sure about it at first, but awesom!
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

mercalia wrote:I only ever watch films a few years after they show on the flicks when I can download them...

Hot Fuzz

i watched "worlds end" the other day, i was a bit cynical after "paul" but have to say it was nick frost's finest hour. love that guy.

and if you're reading this j.j. it's ok to put your fat friend in all your films if your fat friend has the natural talent of nick frost. he's not "just simon pegg's fat mate". so you can stop letting your fat friend ruin otherwise excellent films.

i think i already made this point in the rant thread. soz if so.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi (but NOT Naqoyqatsi).

Bust films ever made. Different but get their message across very effectively. Unbelievable photography and music.

If you've never seem them you really must.

Ian
pwa

Post by pwa »

Psamathe wrote:Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi (but NOT Naqoyqatsi).

Bust films ever made. Different but get their message across very effectively. Unbelievable photography and music.

If you've never seem them you really must.

Ian

The box set is facing me on the book shelves. Very thought provoking stuff. Koyaanisqatsi is the one for me. Mesmerising, epic and profound.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just watched Happy Feet.
Abso-blooming-marvelous. :D :D

We've got Happy Feet 2 to watch as well as I bought the boxed set in Plymouth yesterday. £3 well spent.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Oh Brother Where art thou - George Clooney, Dapper Dan, Baby Face Nelson and the Cyclops. Our favourite film. We watched it last night with a bottle of red. Iconic soundtrack of Country Music that started the revival in the US. The Soggy Bottom Boys...

Al

"We wuz banned from Woolworths, wuz it all of 'em Everett?"
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

pwa wrote:Very thought provoking stuff. Koyaanisqatsi is the one for me

Pwa and Psmathe..... yes we may have differing views but this reccommendation has shocked me. Thought I was the only person to have seen it :lol: . I first saw this on C4 in 1986, very late at night, C4 was good for ground breaking films. I mentioned it to a friend who said "koyanis what?", it was lost on him. I was only thinking of this a couple of hours ago as BBC4 is having an astronomy night and the program about the sun had hopi indians on it....
The sequels didn't affect me in the same way as koyannisquatsi.( I never spell it correctly!)

It's a great film( I have it on video :( , but may have dvd copy ), stunning time lapse, and fantastic phillip glass soundtrack. I have the soundtrack CD and several other glass CD's solo piano, glassworks etc.

An excellent suggestion.

Another film that is different to above but with haunting glass soundtrack is "the thin blue line", very sad story. Clearly not the rowan atkinson comedy!

If anyone wants to depress themselves to suicide try watching "Eraserhead" by david lynch...... if you can fathom out what its about send him a postcard , he probably didn't :) .
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Watched ' The Imitation Game ' last night and really enjoyed it .
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

old_windbag wrote:
pwa wrote:Very thought provoking stuff. Koyaanisqatsi is the one for me

Pwa and Psmathe..... yes we may have differing views but this reccommendation has shocked me. Thought I was the only person to have seen it :lol: . I first saw this on C4 in 1986, very late at night, C4 was good for ground breaking films. I mentioned it to a friend who said "koyanis what?", it was lost on him. I was only thinking of this a couple of hours ago as BBC4 is having an astronomy night and the program about the sun had hopi indians on it....
The sequels didn't affect me in the same way as koyannisquatsi.( I never spell it correctly!)

It's a great film( I have it on video :( , but may have dvd copy ), stunning time lapse, and fantastic phillip glass soundtrack. I have the soundtrack CD and several other glass CD's solo piano, glassworks etc.

An excellent suggestion.

I also 1st saw it on C4 back in the days before they realised how cheaply they could fill airtime getting a few members of the public cook diner for a few others and add some silly voiced commentary.

I waiver between Powaqqatsi and Koyaanisqatsi. To me they both explore different aspects of the same underlying issue.

Ian
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Psamathe wrote:I also 1st saw it on C4 back in the days before they realised how cheaply they could fill airtime getting a few members of the public cook diner for a few others and add some silly voiced commentary.

C4 started out doing many good things...... even the soap opera brookside had relevant storylines raising serious issues, it's early years not being unlike boys from the blackstuff. I remember watching the opening day of C4 with 10 minutes of imagery then... countdown. Later that night was the hard hitting film "Walter" with Ian McKellen. The other program they had which I enjoyed watching was "After Dark" where you only saw the people discussing issues and the camera men were dressed in black. Yes C4 was very progressive in a good way, I only hope BBC4 does not get dumbed down by media types in the Beeb.

Some other films I've enjoyed( well film documentaries ) were shown by the BBC around 20yrs+ ago. They were all by Ken Burns and I was hoping BBC4 would reshow them but nothing so far.

They are:- The Brooklyn Bridge
The West ( the story of many of the people who forged a path from east to west coast in America )
The American Civil War( about 11hrs or so, very moving as with so many Ken Burns work it uses first hand diary entries and letters )
Frank Lloyd Wright

All high quality productions, and factual, but they've not been repeated in about 20yrs or so, great shame.

On a cycling theme I enjoyed the BBC4 showing of Alan Bennetts "A day out" about a edwardian CTC group...... with a sad closing scene.

Light heartedly the film "Breaking Away" is a good cycling themed film..... and won't bring anyone to tears as with a few of the above.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.