FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
profpointy

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by profpointy »

mercalia wrote:I picked up a blu ray from Poundlander ( can be a good place ) for just £1 called IRON SKY

I am a bit surprised it was ever made as it is about Nazis after WW2 escaping to the dark side of the moon who come back to earth to pick up where they left off. It is a comedy with German actors made in Europe I think. One fun aspect is that the tech of the Germans is very much 1945s so large and mechanical ( they laugh when told that a smartphone is a computer - pointing to the mass of machinery the size of an elephant the mad scientist says "now thats a computer", the black man they have captured retorts " no thats just ancient history" ) - is almost steam punk in vision. There are lots of Heil Hitlers which the current feurer keeps on complaining about. One funny moment is when the attacke begins and the assembly of powers ask who is responsible for it, they all say in turn not me, then North Korea stands up with chest puffed out and say we did . Kim built them all personally, there is a pause then the assembly breaks out into uncontrolable laughter and he sinks into his chair humiliated. A good fun film

[youtube]Py_IndUbcxc[/youtube]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034314/

Agree: a brilliant film. Much much cleverer and better done than you'd expect and full of little details. President Sarah Palin (albeit not so named), the Hitler bunker parody and lots more
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Went to see Swimming with Men, they took second place in the mens synchronised swimming world championships

Reminded me a bit of our WIMPs LeJoging :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How perverse! The local "arthouse" cinema that has interesting foreign films is closed for August, just the time when it is too hot to go cycling and one wants to retreat into the cool darkness
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am getting interested in westerns, fortunately many of them are not so violent now and even have prominent female characters, the First Nation people speak their own languages, +1

Planning to see "Woman Walks Ahead", anyone seen it, any opinions?

Diolch
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Not a film but a tv series. Sherlock. ( I always see these things long after ) A nice retelling of the Sherlock Holmes stories in 12 x 90 minute episodes over 4 series. Nice how some of the cases are turned into situation features, like the Sign of Three is John Watson getting married and his wife being pregnant, the hound of the baskerville due to a hallucinogenic drug. Fast paced and fine performances. For me Sherlocks brother, Mycroft, is a delight
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Psamathe wrote:Another excellent film "Sir Henry at Rawlinson End". different and maybe takes a particular sense of humour. But the film, and associated media (CD, etc.). Stanshall reading a bit come on my random order play in the car and the language quite amazing

A few classics "Jeremy Sphincter has sailed for Australia after the poultry scare. (We won't mention HIM again.)" or "Maureen was struggling furiously, headfirst in a barrel of dill pickels. I knew she always carried a snorkel in her handbag, but ... would she use it?" or "During the summer I throw myself naked onto the lawn in a northerly direction parallel to the earthly axis. With a bluey roman clock face tattoo'd about my private parts, I think about Jean Harlow and from the shadow cast tell the time with remarkable accuracy.". And the sight of Trevor Howard wearing a tutu and riding a unicycle ...

Fabulous performance by Tervor Howard, but I think the radio/audio version works really well. A sample from Bonzo's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3sTKtvclmc (musical introduction for 1st minute before the background explanation starts, then the story itself starts at 2:30) but gives an excellent impression what the story is about. You'll soon get a feel for it and the use of language. Certainly shows what a great talent Stanshall was.

Lunacy at its best. some would love it, others probably not manage fore than the 1st few minutes.

Ian

Cripes.

I love the Bonzos to bits.

But eventually saw this "cult" film (I remember it coming out when I was a student) at a south London film festival. Gawd. To be frank I am afraid I thought it bloody awful and self indulgent. And positively angry at my wasted time - even though the show was free.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Haven't yet trawled through this thread, but just a plug (not paid for) for Talking Pictures TV on Freeview.

They show some really interesting films.

Films I remember seeing once when I was young and have stuck in bits of my brain.

And films which were somewhat ignored/have been long forgotten.

They clearly have a very enlightened and clever programmer.

It may have been that channel where I strayed upon "A Summer Story".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096189/

IMDB is great for checking up on its mysterious films you've never heard of.

I can recommend that film. It maybe goes a bit too far at the end but is very good.

And I should in all honesty caution that it is a serious serious weepy and that the male members of this forum may fall in love with Trevor Nunn's ex.
Sweep
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Took Mrs. Spinners to see 'Mamma Mia! Here we go again!' yesterday. Fair play, it is the feelgood movie of the decade and the DVD should be offered as an alternative to pills to all people suffering from depression. Best of all, Pierce Brosnan only got to sing for about twenty seconds...
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We watched "The King's Speech" the other evening, followed by "Village of the Damned".
Strange sort of double-header, buy enjoyable nonetheless.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One of the cashiers at my second-favourite cinema constantly licks his fingers while selling tickets, drinks, popcorn, revolting
I would like to give him a verbal rocket, what words might be suitable?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We watched "The Day After Tomorrow" the other evening on DVD we'd picked up for a quid in a charity shop some time back.

Absolute rubbish. :lol: :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After_Tomorrow
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I recorded and watched Angels 15 (one five) transmitted on BBC 2 which was about a Kent fighter station ops room in 1940. It featured Jack Hawkins, John Gregson and Michael Dennison. A typical stiff upper lip drama where a new pilot tries to fit in.

The last time I saw this film I was 10 years old and it made a huge impression on me and I always remembered it.

When we were in California many years ago quite by chance we stumbled onto the set of Village of the Damned (basically The Midwich Cuckoos). We met the director, who was between takes and spent a very pleasant half hour with him showing us round and introducing us to some of the stars. He seemed intrigued by us being British and in that nick of the woods north of the Golden Gate bridge.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Village of the Damned ................. Hollywood?
Don't be daft! :lol:

It's an iconic British film from the 50's in B+W.

You'll be telling me next that Whistle Down the Wind was made in Hollywood! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

No Mick, not Hollywood, Universal Studios I think… a remake of the 1960s film with Christopher Reeve.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114852/ a 1995 film, I was there in 94 I think.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

BlacKkKlansman got some good reviews, anyone seen it?