FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Spinners

Re: FILUMS ..to see

Post by Spinners »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Anyone here like horror films?

Not really although I did enjoy 'Orphan' (2009). I certainly don't like the 'slasher' franchise films like 'Saw' and much prefer 'suspense' films like 'The Innocents' (1961) and the rarely shown 'The Night Walker' (1964). 'The Woman in Black' (2012) was surprisingly good for a 12A and had the cinema audience jumping good and proper.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
100%JR

Re: FILUMS ..to see

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Pet Semetary looks interesting, but could seeing a horror film be psychologically harmful? Anyone here like horror films?

Can't be any worse than the 1989 original with Fred Gwynne(Herman Munster).
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by Mick F »

We watched "About Time" the other evening on Netflix.
Very good indeed, though I'm doubtful regarding the physics of time travel backwards. Good story though and well worth watching.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/About_Time_(2013_film)
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Mick F wrote:We watched "About Time" the other evening on Netflix.
Very good indeed, though I'm doubtful regarding the physics of time travel backwards. Good story though and well worth watching.

Indeed. Never mind temporal displacement, the Earth spins at ~0.44 km/sec, it goes round the Sun at ~30 km/sec and the Sun goes around the galactic centre at ~220 km/sec. Unless your time traveller was fitted with humongous rocket motors controlled by a complex computer programme, moving just a second into the past or future could embed him in a wall halfway across Europe, under kilometres of crust and magma or put him into low Earth orbit. An hour would put him either 100,000-odd km ahead or behind the Earth, not that the direction would matter any more if he lacked a vacuum suit.

That's the kind of past (or future) that could definitely take some improvement.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what about TV series?

ANy one here rate Marvels Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
seems a fun series I downloaded
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Eye In The Sky.

Was on TV late last year. With Helen Mirren, Arron Paul, Alan Rickman.

Actually more of a stage play than a film (I wondered if it was originally a stage play they decided to film). Good acting, engaging. Now on cheap DVD. Not one of my "best films ever" but well made, intersting and in my opinion worth watching (or worth £3 from e.g. Amazon).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Audax67 wrote:

Indeed. Never mind temporal displacement, the Earth spins at ~0.44 km/sec, it goes round the Sun at ~30 km/sec and the Sun goes around the galactic centre at ~220 km/sec. Unless your time traveller was fitted with humongous rocket motors controlled by a complex computer programme, moving just a second into the past or future could embed him in a wall halfway across Europe, under kilometres of crust and magma or put him into low Earth orbit. An hour would put him either 100,000-odd km ahead or behind the Earth, not that the direction would matter any more if he lacked a vacuum suit.

That's the kind of past (or future) that could definitely take some improvement.
:lol: :lol:

I know that time has an arrow, and only points forwards.
Spacetime. The faster you go, the slower time goes for you ......... compared to everyone not moving. Therefore, if you shot off into space at some terrific speed close to light speed and then came back to where you left ........... taking into account that Earth will have rotated and moved .............. you will come back further forward in time compared to the people you left behind. The faster you go and the longer you're away at that speed, the further forward in time you will have appeared to have gone. As far as they are concerned, you'd gone into the future.

You cannot go backwards in time as you can't go at a speed less than zero.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:
Audax67 wrote:

I know that time has an arrow, and only points forwards.
Spacetime. The faster you go, the slower time goes for you ......... compared to everyone not moving. Therefore, if you shot off into space at some terrific speed close to light speed and then came back to where you left ........... taking into account that Earth will have rotated and moved .............. you will come back further forward in time compared to the people you left behind. The faster you go and the longer you're away at that speed, the further forward in time you will have appeared to have gone. As far as they are concerned, you'd gone into the future.

You cannot go backwards in time as you can't go at a speed less than zero.

But you can look back in time (i.e. look and see what was happening some time ago, photograph it, etc.)

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, but not actually be there, just visualise it.

If I rocketed away and accelerated up to nigh-on light speed for a year, then turned round and came back at the same speed for a year, I would have aged two years.
You would have aged decades or even centuries depending on how fast I was going.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol:
Yes, but not actually be there, just visualise it.

If I rocketed away and accelerated up to nigh-on light speed for a year, then turned round and came back at the same speed for a year, I would have aged two years.
You would have aged decades or even centuries depending on how fast I was going.

My point was about looking back in time (which you can do), not about travelling back in time (which you can't currently do).

Ian
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

If you subscribe to the many worlds theory then About Time might be less about time travel and more about hopping universes.
Quantum physics is time agnostic, it doesn't care about time so as far as it's concerned it can run in any direction it likes.

Here's something else to consider. At the speed of light time doesn't move forward, so if you're a photon by the time the universe ends you'll have been pretty much everywhere.
Perhaps there's actually only one photon?

For time travel; I quite enjoyed Russian Doll on Netflix.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

With Russian Doll I'm glad the episodes are short. Nadia is great but half an hour (N.B. allowing for non-Einsteinian US TV time dilation aka adverts) is as much as I can take.

Meanwhile, we just watched a reach-me-down UK TV series on Netflix, Traitors. My usual gripes with such stuff apply: people in the 1940s did not chuck around the procreative expletive with such gay abandon as they do now. Where well-brought-up ladies might have allowed the odd damn! to escape their delicate lips, the foul-mouthed tirade that R.S. comes out with in the last episode would have been pointless - those on the receiving end would have been too shocked at the language to hear the rest of what she was saying.

Of course, the Word has lost so much of its shock value these days that its impact is now no greater than that of damn would have been back then. Maybe that's what the producers had in mind: they didn't want to present our tiny minds with anything we might not comprehend.

I'd post a link to an Ngram of the Word's appearance in literature, but the forum's Grundy engine changes it in the URL. Here's the Ngram viewer: https://books.google.com/ngrams, you can type it in yourself. If you don't know the one I mean you can ask any 5-year-old.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Audax67 wrote:With Russian Doll I'm glad the episodes are short. Nadia is great but half an hour (N.B. allowing for non-Einsteinian US TV time dilation aka adverts) is as much as I can take.

Yeah, I couldn't decide if the 'Jewish Mom' thing was overplayed or not (I felt it was). Nice and short though, easy to fit into a quiet sit down but I enjoyed the story, bit Groundhog Day but nicely done.

Some other time travel series I've enjoyed:

'Travellers' (Netflix) was excellent imo.
'Timeless' (Netflix) somewhat lighter but an enjoyable romp through history.
'Outlander' (Amazon) one to watch with the missus but enjoyable.
'Dark' (Netflix) interesting foreign language take.
'The Man in the High Castle' (Amazon) really enjoyed this although I've never read the book.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Travellers is a bit too mechanical for me. I do dip into the odd episode every now & then but it's rare that I can bear more that 10 minutes at a time. You know in advance that their core people are never going to get killed and all estrangements can be fixed by looking into this here flashy thing when I put my sunglasses on (or equivalent) so every clutch of episodes resolves into "put them into a situation; fuss about a bit; get them out of it; redo from start".

It's tired and needs to die.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Audax67 wrote:"put them into a situation; fuss about a bit; get them out of it; redo from start".

I think you've just described the plot line of 90% of everything out there. :lol:

Anyway I think it is dead, the last season seemed fairly conclusive in its ending.