FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Spinners

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by Spinners »

mercalia wrote:
I thought they escaped to the Uk? Why Norway gives London a Xmas tree every year since WW2?

That comes after the events depicted in the film.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Spinners wrote:Image

'The Kings Choice' (2016) starring Jesper Christensen and Anders Bassmo Christiansen.

Set in April 1940 this Norwegian film tells the story of how Norway was invaded by the Germans causing the Norwegian royal family to flee into the interior. With the official government in total collapse and a Quisling-led puppet government now in place the German envoy in Norway tries to negotiate peace with the popular {elected) King of Norway who must wrestle with his own conscience about the direction to take his country. A great history lesson and a really good film. 8/10.

I watched it but it never "clicked", not one I particularly enjoyed but I did watch it all.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Another good tv series - Warehouse 13. Inspired by the store where the Ark of the Covenant was hidden away in the Indiana Jones films.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'Let The Right One In' (2008) starring Kåre Hedebrant and Lina Leandersson.

Oskar is a troubled 12-year old boy living with his mother in the Stockholm suburbs. Bullied at school and a real loner he suddenly meets the mysterious Eli, seemingly a girl of his own age, who has moved into the flat next door. Their attraction soon develops but Eli slowly reveals to Oskar her very dark secret. This is the third time in about ten years now that I've watched this highly original dark and slightly twisted movie. I've absolutely no interest in watching the Hollywood remake as it couldn't possibly live up to this. 9/10.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Just watched 'Sorry we missed you' at our local cinema. It's a film by Ken Loach and tells a story of a family trying to make ends meet despite both having jobs.
Loach's films are often a bit bleak and this was no different.

The most telling thing for me was in the credits. Contributors from people working in the two sectors featured in the film wished to remain anonymous.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'Election' (1999) starring Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon.

I'm not sure how I've previously missed this film as Reese Witherspoon is one of my favourite modern actresses and she's in great form in this clever comedy playing Tracy Flick a preppy, swatty overachiever determined to win her high-school's election to become student body president. Matthew Broderick plays a teacher who intervenes when it appears that Tracy Flick will win unopposed by convincing a dim but popular high-school jock to campaign. There are some lovely spin-off character plotlines weaving around but overall this is quite watchable but far from a classic. BTW cover Grandma and the budgie as the C-word gets an unexpected singular outing. Now on BBC iPlayer. 6/10.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Bluemoons

Post by Bluemoons »

landsurfer wrote:Ghost in the Shell ... true to the Anime .... GITS SAC ...

I wish to watch horror movies these last couple of months of this year. I am starting with these movie recommendations.https://www.essentialhommemag.com/welcome-to-the-age-of-the-terror-film/ I have already watched "The Witch' and I love it. Two more to go on this list and i will be done with it this weekend. So please recommend me the ones you loved so i can have awsome horror spree.
Yup, I already watched Conjuring and Hereditaryand love both so, please leave these two out.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have tickets for the new Star Wars film on 18 December :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bluemoons wrote:..
I wish to watch horror movies these last couple of months of this year

I like to see strange new films but I am afraid of being scared out of my tiny mind by horror films :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Vorpal wrote:I have tickets for the new Star Wars film on 18 December :D

We're going to see it on Christmas Eve 8)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I should wait till later, dinnae like sitting in a full cinema surrounded by strangers
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I should wait till later, dinnae like sitting in a full cinema surrounded by strangers

and get the flu just before the holiday period
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I should wait till later, dinnae like sitting in a full cinema surrounded by strangers

I will be surrounded by friends :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

We go every Christmas Eve and have done since the the re-boot :D It's usually quite quiet despite the Cinema being in a large shopping centre 8)

mercalia wrote:and get the flu just before the holiday period

Never had Flu so not overly worried :wink: (I finish work on 17th so technically it's halfway through the Xmas period for me).
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'Melancholia' (2011) starring Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg.

Any film that opens with a huge blue rogue planet smashing the earth to smithereens with the stirring prelude to Richard Wagner's 'Tristan und Isolde' playing in the background will need to rewind to fill the remaining two hours and what follows is an arty mix of psychological drama and science fiction. In two distinct but coherent parts we meet Justine (Dunst) and her sister Claire (Gainsbourg). In Part One we see Justine as a beautiful bride on her wedding day at a lavish celebration planned by her sister. But we quickly see that Justine is damaged by a depression that is certainly not helped by her dysfunctional family and overbearing boss. In Part Two we now focus on her sister Claire but all amid the turmoil and threat of the rogue planet either hitting the earth or passing closely by. Well, we already know the outcome from the first ten minutes but it's all played out with a twist and if you've got a decent home cinema system the incessant rumbling sound of the incoming planet might just rattle the chandeliers. Claire starts Part Two as mentally the stronger sister (at this stage her sister Justine is almost catatonic) but the threat caused by the incoming rogue planet causes her to unravel whilst Justine recovers (to an extent) developing a resigned calmness. Written and directed by Lars von Trier this is a real 'marmite' film and on a second viewing I think my score will move to the right a touch more. For now. 7/10.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)