FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Green Book about apartheid in the US looks interesting, is it worth seeing?

Roma was cited as one of the best films, is it good?
Did not look so interesting to me, so I really want to see it so I may form an opinion
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, One classic that had an unusual showing in Liverpool was "Some Like It Hot"? Yep, great film but showing in St. Luke's Church on February 14th was a bit brave. The church is still a bombed ruin from WW2! "Ice Station Zebra" would have been more fitting. TTFN MM
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just seen Green Book, one of the best films for a while, music, laughing, crying, lots of humour, violence, a happy end

Oh no, I just enjoyed a film about motoring depicting many driving offences :?

'Hands at ten to two!" barks Don Shirley several times when Tony is talking too much or eating kfc while driving
Hope to see the film again next week
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'1984' (1984) starring John Hurt, Richard Burton, Suzanna Hamilton and Gregor Fisher.

Both '1984' and 'Animal Farm' By George Orwell were curriculum books in English class (we're talking 1970's here) and I re-read the former last year. As this film rarely gets shown on TV I asked Santa for the DVD and we finally got around to watching it last night (that's Mrs. Spinners and me, not Santa and me). John Hurt is outstanding and Richard Burton is spot-on as the sinister O'Brien. However, for me, this film paints a far grimmer picture than the book but without being as compelling. 6/10.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is 'Stan + Ollie' worth seeing? Is it better than the original?
al_yrpal

Re: FILUMS ..to see.- Roma

Post by al_yrpal »

Roma

Watched it last night, tempted to turn it off halfway. Pretty boring sweet story line, no real drama but it did convey family love. Its easy to make any picture look Arty in B/W, so I'd give it a 4. Baffled by the award. Suppose it must be the best in a sea of mediocracy, seems to have been a bad year for films.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

al_yrpal wrote:Roma

Watched it last night, tempted to turn it off halfway. Pretty boring sweet story line, no real drama but it did convey family love. Its easy to make any picture look Arty in B/W, so I'd give it a 4. Baffled by the award. Suppose it must be the best in a sea of mediocracy, seems to have been a bad year for films.

Al

At least you didn't see Black Panther - saw it two nights ago - bleedin awful - I did turn it off/or rather walked from the cinema half way through - haven't done that for decades.

Also totally mystified by its awards - best motion picture - Golden Globes and Oscar - what were they thinking?

I do hope, with the industry's current sensitivities next years gongs don't go to a dodgy film just because it's an all women production.

Checked out imdb

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683/?ref_=ttawd_awd_tt

At least rather a lot of folk seem to agree with me and I have no reason to think they are racist.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Roma

Al

At least you didn't see Black Panther - saw it two nights ago - bleedin awful - I did turn it off/or rather walked from the cinema half way through - haven't done that for decades.

Also totally mystified by its awards - best motion picture - Golden Globes and Oscar - what were they thinking?

I do hope, with the industry's current sensitivities next years gongs don't go to a dodgy film just because it's an all women production.

Checked out imdb

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683/?ref_=ttawd_awd_tt

At least rather a lot of folk seem to agree with me and I have no reason to think they are racist.

well what about other Marvel/DC Comics film? Not to every ones taste the Marvel/DC Comics universe of Batman, Superman, Justice League, Wonder Woman, Captain America, AVENGERS ASSEMBLE, Thor etc have you seen any of these and what did you make of them?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Read many of the comics as a kid, saw a couple of the early relaunched batman flms and liked.

That's it.
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The one I remember was Team America World Police, it was a hilarious spoof. They waded in with good intentions and caused death and chaos accidentally and didnt realise what mahem they had caused - just like real life when W went with Bliar in tow on Rednecks Revenge.

Not superhero films but comment on the consequences of American influence and ignorance - Idiocracy and Mars Attacks two of my favourite films.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

al_yrpal wrote:The one I remember was Team America World Police, it was a hilarious spoof. They waded in with good intentions and caused death and chaos accidentally and didnt realise what mahem they had caused - just like real life when W went with Bliar in tow on Rednecks Revenge.

Not superhero films but comment on the consequences of American influence and ignorance - Idiocracy and Mars Attacks two of my favourite films.

Al

!

seems I am destined to be the grump on here.

Me and a mate saw the trailer for Mars Attacks - both fans of the director and thought it looked brilliant so trotted off to see it as soon as it was released. Both thought it absolutely awful and as the lights came up I think each of us had a feeling of guilt that we had over-encouraged the other. So both kind of releived to find that we both thought it truly terrible.
Sweep
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Sweep wrote:seems I am destined to be the grump on here.

Me and a mate saw the trailer for Mars Attacks - both fans of the director and thought it looked brilliant so trotted off to see it as soon as it was released. Both thought it absolutely awful and as the lights came up I think each of us had a feeling of guilt that we had over-encouraged the other. So both kind of releived to find that we both thought it truly terrible.

Mars Attacks was an odd film.

I saw it twice, watched in a cinema somewhere 'darn sooth' and thought it was great - audience loved it too.
Came back and raved about it to friends so we all went together to watch it and it went down with the audience like a lead balloon, even saw folk walking out.

Then again The Rocky Horror Picture Show had some of the biggest walk outs in cinema history, make of that what you will...
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mars attacks is a hilarious comment on the human race and America in particular. The country that thinks it runs the planet is exposed as corrupt, facile, disorganised and debagged by an old ladys favourite record. *cant we just get along* says president Jack Nicholson and promptly gets skewered bg the Martians. Love it... :lol:

Al
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:The one I remember was Team America World Police, it was a hilarious spoof. They waded in with good intentions and caused death and chaos accidentally and didnt realise what mahem they had caused - just like real life when W went with Bliar in tow on Rednecks Revenge.

Al

!

seems I am destined to be the grump on here.

well you have spiked my interest. What films or type do you rate? I liked Mars Attacks
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Idiocracy is a masterpiece, thinking of Trump and his followers, if they prevail this is what the human race could become!

Another favourite of mine is Dark Star, a low budget movie with a totally annoying and dangerous computer (those who lust after driverless cars please take note)

Ex Machina is a dark movie featuring a female robot.

Anything by the Cohen Brothers

Finally my all time favourite ' Oh Brother Where Art Thou?' Same type of humour in a totally different setting. The Soggy Bottom Boys are wonderful...

Al