FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cyril Haearn wrote:BlacKkKlansman got some good reviews, anyone seen it?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Man of Steel - the Zak Snyder version of Superman. Saw it a short time ago on blu ray
peetee

Post by peetee »

Upgrade.
Plenty of movies out there on the theme of AI but this had a refreshing slant with a nicely thought out story line with all the loose ends that i spotted tied up nicely in the conclusion.
Some clever visuals too like the subtle blue/red backlighting mimicking police vehicle lights in a decisive path of good vs path of evil scene.
There is a fair sprinkling of humour too both to soften the violent scenes and to show that it doesn't take its self too seriously - although to be fair, it could because overall it's a tidy production that leaves you wondering if it really is that far away from strapping your phone to the back of your head and saying "Hey, Siri !"
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The house with a clock in its walls looks good, starts this week

Horror/fantasy/gothic (3 categories? :wink:)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I like to go sniffing around cinemas even without seeing a film
A suburban cinema near me has strict rules, one may not take drinks or food, in, bags are searched by unfriendly PSPs police-shaped persons
Allegedly the aircon is switched off to increase sales of drinks and ice cream :(

Any other unpleasant experiences?
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Any other unpleasant experiences?

Police Academy 2
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I've just been to see King of Thieves. Based on a true story, the Hatton Garden robbery. It's a bit sweary but otherwise an excellent film.

As an aside, we saw it at the Kinema in the Woods in Woodhall Spa, a great old- fashioned picture house. They even had a man playing the organ during the intermission. Well worth a visit if you are around that way.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

TrevA wrote:I've just been to see King of Thieves. Based on a true story, the Hatton Garden robbery. It's a bit sweary but otherwise an excellent film.

As an aside, we saw it at the Kinema in the Woods in Woodhall Spa, a great old- fashioned picture house. They even had a man playing the organ during the intermission. Well worth a visit if you are around that way.

Saw this the other day - didn't really find it gripping for the most part, despite the appearance of the top actors. Probably not very well put together at the edit stage.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society was good, even with the slight Hollywoodisation which put an extra bit of romantic attachment in. Excellent performance by Tom Courtney among others. I'd been persuaded to read the book by the other 'alf, not my usual sort of thing but it was a hoot!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Last night I saw Time Trial. It's a film about David Millar's last year as a professional cyclist. He comes across as a rather a dour person and I'm not sure if he loved or loathed racing, a bit of both maybe.
He's held his hand up over the drug use but he is tired of answering questions about it.
The film of the racers close up, the speeds and the awful weather were beautifully shot. Some well know faces in the film
Overall I enjoyed it and even my wife said it was good :shock:

Earlier this week (film festival here) and saw The Favourite. Period drama about Queen Anne, not really my cup of tea but some good acting. My wife loved it so brownie points scored for taking her :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Halloween is the time for horror films at Vue

I saw Alien, about 1980, I remember laughing but not crying

I am a bit wiser now, I wonder about horror films, can they cause significant psychological problems?
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

I just watched "Buckaroo Banzai - Adventures across the eighth dimension" on bluray with my son (13). I wasn't sure what he'd think, but he loved it! Took me back to my days getting vhs tapes from the rental stand at the back of the newsagents, in my teens... "Laugh it up, monkeyboy!" "Just remember: wherever you go, there you are..." Ah: happy days.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Halloween is the time for horror films at Vue

I saw Alien, about 1980, I remember laughing but not crying

I am a bit wiser now, I wonder about horror films, can they cause significant psychological problems?

I find modern films leave nothing to the imagination whether it be violence or sex,I sometimes wonder of the effects on immature minds.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'Distant Voices, Still Lives' (1988) starring Freda Dowie, Pete Thostlethwaite, Dean Williams, Angela Walsh and Lorraine Ashbourne.

Seen this in the cinema tonight as it's been re-released on it's 30th anniversary. Written and directed by Terence Davies, this is sort of two films in one (actually filmed two years apart) but all about the lives of the same Liverpudlian Catholic family during an approximate 1940 to 1960 time period and told in a jumbled up way (but actually easy to follow).

'Distant Voices' is a difficult watch as it focuses on a violent husband and father of three children. Played by Pete Thostlethwaite he really is a swine to his wife and three kids and the audience was in a very sombre mood and I was half-expecting a few people to walk out.

'Still Lives' focuses on the lives of his three children and his widow. It's still a bit grim but does have some warm Scouse humour and plenty of songs but it's not a musical, the songs are all solo or ensemble 'pub singing'.

I'm aware that this film is regarded as one of the greatest British films of all time but for me it ranks below the much more uplifting 'This Happy Breed'. Still a solid 8/10 though and thoroughly recommended.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Listening to music the other day reminded me of some excellent films: Peter Greenaway "Drowning by Numbers" and "The Draughtsman's Contract". And the music I was listening to was Michael Nyman.

What I find strange about most other Peter Greenaway films is that I didn't enjoy them but recognise them as excellent films. And I don't quite understand how my views could work like that. I'd not recommend his films (other than the above two) to anybody else, didn't enjoy them particularly but somehow still think of them as well made, thoughtful, prompting the audience to think ...

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:Listening to music the other day reminded me of some excellent films: Peter Greenaway "Drowning by Numbers" and "The Draughtsman's Contract". And the music I was listening to was Michael Nyman.

What I find strange about most other Peter Greenaway films is that I didn't enjoy them but recognise them as excellent films. And I don't quite understand how my views could work like that. I'd not recommend his films (other than the above two) to anybody else, didn't enjoy them particularly but somehow still think of them as well made, thoughtful, prompting the audience to think ...

Ian

The Pillow Book (1996)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114134/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_24
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097108/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_36