FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by al_yrpal »

My top 5...

Oh brother where art thou? Apart from the southern humour, great story, the music is sublime.

Laurence of Arabia. Landscapes, great acting, musical score.

The Shawshank Redemption. The ultimate intelligent revenge movie

Fargo. Just sooo whacky, some folk just don't get it.

The World's Fastest Indian. Inspiring old fellah, simply awe inspiring simplicity in this modern age

Two Cohen Brothers masterpieces in there. 8)

Watched our recording of the John Williams film score Prom this evening, absolute magic, music adds so much to a good film. From the Witches of Eastwick, Harry Potter, to Catch me if you can... Who said TV is rubbish?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:....
Oh brother where art thou? Apart from the southern humour, great story, the music is sublime.

Weird. Just happened to stop the pause from BBC4 and ... excerpt featuring George Clooney singing in Brother Where Are Thou?; seconds after reading your post (Program was called "Rich Halls's Countrier Than You")

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:I also enjoyed the "not the sequel" Elysium - much more of an adventure with an obvious ending ... (see my recent comments about "predictability ...")

Ian

Agreed,but it sort of missed the mark for me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'Brighton Rock' (1947) starring Richard Attenborough, William Hartnell, Hermione Baddeley and Carol Marsh.

Wow! Attenborough is as good a baddie in this British crime thriller as anything by Edward G. Robinson or James Cagney. I can't believe how nasty and menacing he is and how violent this film is for 1947. A must see movie. 9/10.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Psamathe wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:....

Weird. Just happened to stop the pause from BBC4 and ... excerpt featuring George Clooney singing in Brother Where Are Thou?; seconds after reading your post (Program was called "Rich Halls's Countrier Than You")

Ian

Yes, this film released in 2000 started a Revival in Old Timey American Country Music
All sorts of half forgotten singers and bands got a boost back into the big time. Willy Nelson, Alison Kraus and Union Station. The soundtrack sold 8 million copies. What got me interested in the film was a TV broadcast from the Grand Old Opry in Nashville with all the musical stars of the film. If you like Country, Blues, Folk, Gospel and Bluegrass it's unmissable. The film is loosely based on Homers Odessy!

The Soggy Bottom Boys sing 'I am a man of constant sorrow'

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Dunkirk - not seen it yet, read a couple of reviews
One thought it was great, the other thought it was awful
Who is right? Should one avoid reading reviews and just go to see the film and maybe read reviews later?

I saw it last week, English version with French sub titles. Not a bad film, action scenes very good but a bit 'stiff upper lip' portrayal of the British.

In the film the French were referred to as Frogs, this caused a lot of laughter in the audience.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

francovendee wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Dunkirk - not seen it yet, read a couple of reviews
One thought it was great, the other thought it was awful
Who is right? Should one avoid reading reviews and just go to see the film and maybe read reviews later?

I saw it last week, English version with French sub titles. Not a bad film, action scenes very good but a bit 'stiff upper lip' portrayal of the British.

In the film the French were referred to as Frogs, this caused a lot of laughter in the audience.

You are lucky in France, in Germany it is shown dozens of times a week dubbed in German and only once in English
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'Florence Foster Jenkins' (2016) starring Meryl Streep, Hugh Grant and Simon Helberg.

This BBC Film, part biography and part comedy, tells the true story of the New York heiress and socialite Florence Foster Jenkins. Totally unencumbered with any singing talent whatsoever she nevertheless became an Opera singer due to the support of her English husband with whom she had an enduring, loving relationship whilst allowing him to have a mistress. After a slightly slow start this film settled into a fine groove and whilst mainly a comedy it does have some bittersweet moments as well. All in all, a lovely film for a Sunday afternoon and much appreciated by my in-laws. 8/10.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Spinners wrote:'Florence Foster Jenkins' (2016) starring Meryl Streep, Hugh Grant and Simon Helberg.

This BBC Film, part biography and part comedy, tells the true story of the New York heiress and socialite Florence Foster Jenkins. Totally unencumbered with any singing talent whatsoever she nevertheless became an Opera singer due to the support of her English husband with whom she had an enduring, loving relationship whilst allowing him to have a mistress. After a slightly slow start this film settled into a fine groove and whilst mainly a comedy it does have some bittersweet moments as well. All in all, a lovely film for a Sunday afternoon and much appreciated by my in-laws. 8/10.

Another film about FFJ came out about the same time, anyone seen that?

Film I regret not having seen: On the Black Hill, Chatwin. Book was very good at least
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Another film about FFJ came out about the same time, anyone seen that?

Possibly this one? (From Wiki)

The 2015 French feature film 'Marguerite' was loosely inspired by Jenkins's life and career.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Just seen Dunkirk - gripping, and well put together. You do need to pay attention to the first few scenes to understand what's going on - as I recollect, and hour in the sky, a day at sea, a week on the mole.

Only one thing irritates - films these days refer to Nazis, or "The Enemy", but not "German". Oh well.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rmurphy195 wrote:Just seen Dunkirk - gripping, and well put together. You do need to pay attention to the first few scenes to understand what's going on - as I recollect, and hour in the sky, a day at sea, a week on the mole.

Only one thing irritates - films these days refer to Nazis, or "The Enemy", but not "German". Oh well.

A lot of the nazis were not german, so I think using the word nazi is correct
An article in the Grauniad reports that many non-white soldiers and sailors were involved, this is not reflected in the film apparently, -1
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:An article in the Grauniad reports that many non-white soldiers and sailors were involved, this is not reflected in the film apparently, -1

That is of course Guardian clickbait. There were around 1,000 Indian troops at Dunkirk but that is not many in the context of the 300,000 who were evacuated let alone the several tens of thousands who were killed or taken prisoner.

Plus of course a significant proportion of those who were evacuated were French but opted to be repatriated to France rather than join the Free French forces.

You could say that there is a film to be made about Indian troops at Dunkirk or those who served in other theatres of WW2 but saying a film about an event which mainly concerned white people is not representative because a small minority of Indian troops are not mentioned is the Guardian at its most typical.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Plus of course a significant proportion of those who were evacuated were French but opted to be repatriated to France rather than join the Free French forces.

Around half of those repatriated were redeployed to fight the Germans: many were killed or captured.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Ash28

Post by Ash28 »

Planet Of The Apes (old and new). Get Carter (not the Stallone rubbish) Wicker Man (not the Nicholas Cage rubbish). Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Withnail and I, 300, The Godfather 1 and 2 forget 3 it's tripe, Life of Pi, Gran Torino,Bad Ass 1 and 2.
The Only Cyclist In The Village