FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by Cugel »

Spinners wrote:Image

'Bitter Lake' (2015) written and directed by Adam Curtis.

A chaotic montage of newsreel and archive clips from various sources that combine to form a powerful documentary film explaining why our politicians in the West have failed to understand the Islamic world and have therefore simplified international friction into stories of good v. evil. Whilst centred on Afghanistan it does explore the bigger picture of regional politics (including the involvement of Saudi Arabia) and also global politics and the US banking structure. As the film passes '9-11' we suddenly get a British perspective on our increasingly confused role in Afghanistan with a powerful summary by a British Army Captain who served in Helmand Province. The newsreel and archive clips (bizarrely including 'Carry on up the Khyber' and Blue Peter) are mainly shown in a chronological order and are supported by a good soundtrack and narration by director Adam Curtis. It's all really quite hypnotic but ultimately depressing because you just know we're going to go through it all over again....

Exclusive to BBC iPlayer. 9/10.

I have all the Adam Curtis oeuvre, sadly only obtainable from some queer website in Yankland. (Unless you know different). I got mine from Amazon but that source seems to have dried up now. His older stuff never seems available from the usual sellers of DVDs.

Each of his film and videoclip montages tells a fine story containing some form of socio-political thesis. They sometimes look like documentaries but they always stray into the land of poetic license. Each of his pieces is quite convincing: well argued with often irresistible rhetoric. However, if you look at all of his pieces as whole, it becomes clear that they don't represent any underlying philosophy or political theory. Rather, they're convincing perspectives concerning a singular and particular sort of political phenomenon that was current at the time he made each one.

And all the better for that. Philosophers are to fond of making stuff up, forcing everything into their schema then defending it no matter how daft the historical evidence makes it look. You can watch a Curtis piece from decades ago and still obtain some insight and clarity about the related events of the time. History stories that are more honest than the usual, as found in history books.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

We watched Rob Brydon and an excellent cast in " Swimming With Men " last night ... gentle, formulaic, but entertaining .... Recommended by the 60, 58 and 15 year old ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I just watched "Free Solo".

Heights don't bother me, or so I thought.

I felt sick, compulsive though. But why? Even if mentally I had what it takes (I don't) I just wouldn't trust my body.
At some point my brain would say "we could just let go..." and from that point on it'd be a battle of wits between me and me.

It's not like you can stop for a cuppa and a rest, what if you get cramp? What if there's an earthquake? What if a bird takes a dislike to you?

Bonkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

not a film but a short video of some one telling the truth....

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByaVigGFP2U ... atch_again
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kwackers wrote:I just watched "Free Solo".

Heights don't bother me, or so I thought.

I felt sick, compulsive though. But why? Even if mentally I had what it takes (I don't) I just wouldn't trust my body.
At some point my brain would say "we could just let go..." and from that point on it'd be a battle of wits between me and me.

It's not like you can stop for a cuppa and a rest, what if you get cramp? What if there's an earthquake? What if a bird takes a dislike to you?

Bonkers.

I saw it twice
The climber had his head examined, the 'fear' area was abnormal
The progress in climbing is phenomenal but I would not do it, the film mentioned many who had fallen off
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Four Weddings and a sFuneral is showing again with that 'awful' Hugh Grant, +1!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cineworld in Scotland was planning not to screen a new film about Robert the Bruce until Alex Salmond and others protested

It is apparently a good try at the story, forbye the actors are americans attempting scotch accents with varying degrees of success, forbye it was filmed mostly in Montana :wink:

(Grauniad)
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

The scotch accent is notoriously difficult.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'Spotlight' (2015) starring Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton and Rachel McAdams.

Shown on the Beeb this weekend, this true story covers the Boston Globe's investigation into the widespread abuse of children and the associated cover-up orchestrated by the Roman Catholic Church in Boston (and beyond) the scale of which is frightening (check out the start of the closing credits). Of course, it's a horrible subject matter but it's carefully handled by not actually being shown and is sparingly referred to by the unfortunate abused children who are now adults. Easily the best thing I've seen Mark Ruffalo in... and Michael Keaton too for that matter. 8/10.

Just checked and it's on iPlayer.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Spinners wrote:The scotch accent is notoriously difficult.

If scottish folk can pull it off, can it really be that difficult?

I'll get my kilt.
Sweep
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Sweep wrote:
Spinners wrote:The scotch accent is notoriously difficult.

If scottish folk can pull it off, can it really be that difficult?

Whhoooosshhhhh!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Scotch is a product of Scotland.
Marmalade for instance.
Scottish is a person of Scottish birth.
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Folk, Surely it is a "Scots" accent?
Film high on this Scouse'rs agenda is "Yesterday", words already in my head. The Beatles are almost bigger than in their hay day, well George Harrison is certainly taller in the statue at Liverpool Pierhead than he ever was in real rife! TTFN MM
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Folk, Surely it is a "Scots" accent?
Film high on this Scouse'rs agenda is "Yesterday", words already in my head. The Beatles are almost bigger than in their hay day, well George Harrison is certainly taller in the statue at Liverpool Pierhead than he ever was in real rife! TTFN MM

Who? :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Folk, Surely it is a "Scots" accent?

Certainly, and an Ayrshire accent at that. However, I very much doubt that he ever said "OK". That Yank did, in what Mary Maceachran would have described as "no Scots accent that I've ever heard".
Have we got time for another cuppa?