FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by al_yrpal »

Lost interest in Better Call Saul. Thought that was tedious, never finished it. Ozark has similarities with Breaking Bad...once you are in you cant get out :(

My new partner seems to have seen very few films so a chance for me to revisit old favourites. TV seems full of dross these days.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Overall I do think Better Call Saul is more consistent, Breaking Bad had some brilliant episodes but it also had some dross (particularly towards the end - all that stuff with Jessie was particularly tedious).
I'm in the BCS camp - I may just be an old softie, as I liked the "odd couple" of Kim and Jimmy. And even my BB-leaning chums say BB lost direction a bit in the later series... Jump straight to S5, say some.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

simonineaston wrote:I'm in the BCS camp - I may just be an old softie, as I liked the "odd couple" of Kim and Jimmy. And even my BB-leaning chums say BB lost direction a bit in the later series... Jump straight to S5, say some.

Overall I think the characters are better in BCS, BB was mainly about the premise and whilst the characters were good I think BCS has much better characters.

Not just Kim and Jimmy, Jimmy and his brother where also excellent and lets not forget Mike - who was a great character in both.
(I re-watched Beverly Hills Cop the other day and was somewhat amused to see a very young Mike was one of the hired thugs).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

last night re-watched Apocalypto, that film by Mel Gibson. Awesome film. WIth the arrival of the Spanish ships at the end, it seems like the Mayan/Azteks or whoever got what they deserved, good riddance. The urban scenes with all those alien behaviours mesmerising. Is the film racist? I bet some one here will say it is.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

So the 1980s film Flash Gordon has got an advisory warning for Ming the terrible being played by a whitey rather than an asian ( Max Von Sydow.) I dont understand the argument as Ming the terrible aint human so cant be asian or not duh :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: Talk about wokeness gone wrong

British film censor claims Flash Gordon villain Ming the Merciless is a 'discriminatory stereotype' and 'offensive' for being played by a white actor as it puts warning on 1980s movie

British Board of Film Classification has added a warning to Flash Gordon film
The board warns viewers may find Ming the Merciless character 'offensive'
Late Swedish actor Max von Sydow portrayed east Asian villain in 1980 movie

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9078525/British-film-censor-puts-warning-1980s-movie-Flash-Gordon.html

I am not sure if its that Sydow is really a whitey or that the asian character is a badey. It seems the former
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I'm not a fan of Jack Nicholson but watched "As good as it gets" and very impressed with his and the other actors performance. It is my kind of humour :roll: and I can see a (little) bit of me in the part he played. :oops:
Also enjoyed the "bucket list" again with some of the humour, and sadness, that Nicholson brings to it.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Jack Nicolson.... about Schmidt....hilarious especially the contents of the Dumpster :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

mercalia wrote:last night re-watched Apocalypto, that film by Mel Gibson. Awesome film. WIth the arrival of the Spanish ships at the end, it seems like the Mayan/Azteks or whoever got what they deserved, good riddance. The urban scenes with all those alien behaviours mesmerising. Is the film racist? I bet some one here will say it is.
Agree. Unusual, dramatic & stylish. One of my favourites... and directed by an Australian!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Not films, as such, but am appreciating the gentle humanity Anthony Bourdain brought to his travel programmes. Seems like a nice guy, but he's gone now :-(
Check out No Reservations or Parts Unknown for class modern travel / food programme.
S
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Not sure if I have mentioned this before. I was looking thru my media centre and remembered the film called "The Warriors" which is the story of street gangs in 1950-60 New York. It is rather stylised than gritty . It starts off with Cyrus the leader of a dominant gang calling a meeting of all the gangs in the city to cooperate to take over the city. Money we are led to believe pays one of the gangs to shoot him when he is delivering his opening speech. The shooter casts suspicion on another gang, the Warriors, one of whose members saw him do it. So we follow the gang as they try to get home before being lynched by the various gangs on the way. Really gripping stuff. I have the dvd that is surprisingly good quality.

[youtube]--gdB-nnQkU[/youtube]
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

cycleruk wrote:I'm not a fan of Jack Nicholson but watched "As good as it gets" and very impressed with his and the other actors performance...

Great film and the last time (1997) a film picked up both the Best Actor and Actress Oscars. Apparently Holly Hunter turned down the role because of the age difference between her and Nicholson. Helen Hunt, who took it, was another 4 years younger!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ben@Forest wrote:
cycleruk wrote:I'm not a fan of Jack Nicholson but watched "As good as it gets" and very impressed with his and the other actors performance...

Great film and the last time (1997) a film picked up both the Best Actor and Actress Oscars. Apparently Holly Hunter turned down the role because of the age difference between her and Nicholson. Helen Hunt, who took it, was another 4 years younger!

agreed a great film :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We watched The Revenant again last evening.A truly great film!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden