FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia
Posts: 11084
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Postby mercalia » 10 Sep 2019, 10:20am

Psamathe wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Psamathe wrote:A couple of years ago a Freeview TV channel repeated loads of them and I recorded them and am gradually re-watching them and I really enjoy them.

Ian


Battlestar Galatica ( the 2dn version) is a better series

I enjoyed the more recent version (not the one from the 70s/80s - which I can't really remember). Not sure I say better or worse than Babylon 5 - different and both good in their own ways.

Ian


One thing I dont like about babylon 5 is you cant get it on Blu Ray, and the dvd quality is quite poor, whereas you can get BSG on blu ray and it is better. I picked up the BSG boxset for just £15 from Ebay, new still shink wrapped

Another scifi is the Star Trek Enterprise, which I think is the best of the lot, but which the "fans"/trekies dismisssed.

Psamathe
Posts: 10138
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Postby Psamathe » 10 Sep 2019, 10:41am

mercalia wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Battlestar Galatica ( the 2dn version) is a better series

I enjoyed the more recent version (not the one from the 70s/80s - which I can't really remember). Not sure I say better or worse than Babylon 5 - different and both good in their own ways.

Ian


One thing I dont like about babylon 5 is you cant get it on Blu Ray, and the dvd quality is quite poor, whereas you can get BSG on blu ray and it is better. I picked up the BSG boxset for just £15 from Ebay, new still shink wrapped
.....

I suspect there might be nothing gained from getting it on Blu Ray as the original quality is not up to it.

e.g. Even the "new (from 2005) Dr Who only started being filmed in HD in 2009.

Ian

mercalia
Posts: 11084
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Postby mercalia » 13 Sep 2019, 7:41pm

Just watching "Forbidden Planet 1956" I have on my media center. After all these years it is still a gripping film with a cute young Anne Fancis the love interest.

"The Krell forgot one thing, monsters from the ID"

kwackers
Posts: 13393
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Postby kwackers » 13 Sep 2019, 10:44pm

mercalia wrote:Just watching "Forbidden Planet 1956" I have on my media center. After all these years it is still a gripping film with a cute young Anne Fancis the love interest.

"The Krell forgot one thing, monsters from the ID"

Still one of my favourites, although the outright sexism is pretty shocking to my "modern" eyes...

mercalia
Posts: 11084
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Postby mercalia » 14 Sep 2019, 11:32am

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:Just watching "Forbidden Planet 1956" I have on my media center. After all these years it is still a gripping film with a cute young Anne Fancis the love interest.

"The Krell forgot one thing, monsters from the ID"

Still one of my favourites, although the outright sexism is pretty shocking to my "modern" eyes...


what do you expect from a film nearly 60 years old? Anne Fancis innocent character was a good foil? I would have thought the tech would be more embarrasing - the dials and the pointless sparks and things going up and down in the air vent scenes?

kwackers
Posts: 13393
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Postby kwackers » 14 Sep 2019, 7:35pm

mercalia wrote:what do you expect from a film nearly 60 years old? Anne Fancis innocent character was a good foil? I would have thought the tech would be more embarrasing - the dials and the pointless sparks and things going up and down in the air vent scenes?

I think what I meant was it was a lot more obvious than I expected rather than it exists.

As for the film and FX I thought it held up pretty well - looks like what it is though, a vision of the future that looks like the 50's.

(I do love it when something that was designed to look futuristic is viewed years later looks like it belongs to the era it was designed.)