French presidential election - a third shock?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: French presidential election - a third shock?

Post by pete75 »

meic wrote:
Perhaps the fact that, back in July 1944, the Gestapo rounded up a group of local Resistance workers in the neighbouring market town, and shot nine of them, might have influenced voters - older ones at least....

In which way? Both sides claim that they are against the likes of Gestapo controlling France. One side calling the others fascists and the other side accusing them back of allowing German domination of France.

Out of two political parties which is most likely to be associated with the Gestapo in people's minds the one that is neo fascist or the one that isn't.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
meic

Post by meic »

The other side, of course.
Yma o Hyd
pete75

Post by pete75 »

meic wrote:The other side, of course.

Wrong answer.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
meic

Post by meic »

If I am wrong then you must be saying that it is your side who are considered the fascists.
Otherwise I must be right. :wink:
Yma o Hyd
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Who might have won had Macron not taken part? Could any of the other candidates have beaten LP?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps a forum member living in France will know better but I suspect that the divide here is between people who don't like Germans and those who believe that the EU is the best way of extracting the most out of them. That's in the context of disenchantment with established politicians.

I also suspect that the SS etc are more likely to be seen as extreme examples of Germans than of fascists.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

3rd time lucky? There is another Le Pen - Marion Marechal-Le Pen

https://www.thelocal.fr/20170510/the-third-le-pen-marion-marechal-le-pen-national-front-france

much nicer looking also :D
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Imagine if the BNP had come a respectable second in a UK election.

That's effectively what has happened in France.

That shocks me.

I'm so pleased we are leaving the EU. Things are looking very dodgy on the continent, and not only in France. There are social, cultural and economic problems galore.

We are better off out.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

blackbike wrote:Imagine if the BNP had come a respectable second in a UK election.

That's effectively what has happened in France.

That shocks me.

I'm so pleased we are leaving the EU. Things are looking very dodgy on the continent, and not only in France. There are social, cultural and economic problems galore.

We are better off out.

Second. And last, like the laterne rouge in the Tour de France. Le Pen may come back but UK€P seems to be finished
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Germans and the other nations in Europe are getting on fine now, people cross borders for work or pleasure without changing money

There was an awful war in Europe in our grandparents time, in Germany people are aware of that and have learnt from it

Anyone looked for "Anglo-Saxon" on the map? Angeln is a region in Germany by the Baltic Sea. And Saxon is Sachsen in Germany (Dresden, Karl-Marx-Stadt, Colditz, Leipzig) where the people have an interesting German dialect

Halfway between Angeln and Sachsen? Braunschweig (Brunswick!)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

meic wrote:If I am wrong then you must be saying that it is your side who are considered the fascists.
Otherwise I must be right. :wink:

No I'm saying the neo fascist FN are the fascists. Neither side is my side I have no vote in French elections.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

They're not very good fascists if they're adhering to a democratic election process to try and obtain political office. After all, a fascist in this sense is someone who obtains political office by force, and then uses more force to enforce their political will.

Methinks the use of the word here betrays an emotional rather than logical response to a political movement.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:They're not very good fascists if they're adhering to a democratic election process to try and obtain political office. After all, a fascist in this sense is someone who obtains political office by force, and then uses more force to enforce their political will.

Methinks the use of the word here betrays an emotional rather than logical response to a political movement.

I agree. We may find things we don't like in what we call Far Right parties, but the FN, rather like UKIP, are not Nazi or Fascist. They may be racist, bigoted and xenophobic, and other bad things, but that does not in itself make them Fascist or Nazi.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:They're not very good fascists if they're adhering to a democratic election process to try and obtain political office. After all, a fascist in this sense is someone who obtains political office by force, and then uses more force to enforce their political will.

Except the Nazi party came to power in Germany by being elected.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:

I agree. We may find things we don't like in what we call Far Right parties, but the FN, rather like UKIP, are not Nazi or Fascist. They may be racist, bigoted and xenophobic, and other bad things, but that does not in itself make them Fascist or Nazi.

Neo fascism is charecterised by ultra nationalism , populist policies, anti immigration policies and authoritarianism. The FN is a neo fascist party.