Stonehenge tunnel plan

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Stonehenge tunnel plan

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is a lot of argument going on about a planned tunnel to speed traffic past Stonehenge and free the great monument. Or to destroy even more traces of ancient life and enable one to reach next jam a few seconds earlier?

I never knew the area, would like to read views from those with local knowledge

I just know some of the stones came from Wales, where else? :wink:

Diolch yn fawr iawn
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Re: Stonehenge tunnel plan

Post by Tangled Metal »

I think this has been mooted for years. Something about the traffic passing by the site causing damage but I could be wrong about it. Also a tunnel will take the road out of the immediate view of visitors to the site. That would allow the visitors to see the site more as part of the whole archaeology of the area.

If they out a tunnel in under it then they'll have to do due diligence on the archaeology on and around the site. The archaeology issue can put paid to some plans but I doubt it with this. The area has been very well surveyed such that the likelihood of unknown archaeology being there is slim.

Been by car to it once. Never had to drive there as a kid since my great aunt lived over the hill from it. When visiting we could walk for 15 minutes and look down on the whole area.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

First saw Stonehenge in 1978 .... my immediate thought was " Is that it!!" .....

If it was nearer London Village and had Theme Park possibilities it would be super protected ...

But its not .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:First saw Stonehenge in 1978 .... my immediate thought was " Is that it!!" .....

If it was nearer London Village and had Theme Park possibilities it would be super protected ...

But its not .....

It could be moved to Wales maybe, where much of it came from
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I've no local knowledge of it but I did visit it 2weeks ago.
Bit of research showed the whole visitor thing is a rip off and a really good money earner for a few stones. We parked up ,free, at Woodhenge and walked to Stonehenge from there. The Henge looks most impressive from a distance sitting against the skyline. Its definitely spoilt by the endless stream of vehicles breaking the skyline along side.
Building a tunnel would definitely improve the view from the approach I and a handful of others used. As for the thousands of punters who use the official entrance will it improve it for them? I think it's probably a ploy to get even more punters paying to get in and not gettting a free view from the road.
IMG_200.jpg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Only the inner stones came from Wales about 160km away I believe. Most of the stones came from England much nearer to the site. Funny how most people remember the Welsh rocks not the English ones.

Not that it makes the site any less dull. IMHO Avebury is better. I even think the much smaller Castlerigg stone circle near Keswick is a nicer stone circle. Less stones but a nice site nestled in the Cumbrian hills.

I would like to see the whole archaeology of the area round Stonehenge though. I think the best thing about Stonehenge is it's role within the whole rest of the archaeology in the area and indeed the physical lay of the land or geography of it. There's a whole story in its location within the environment.
rjb

Post by rjb »

The official car park is free. The Visitor centre sells tickets to use the bus shuttle to the stones. If you walk to the stones it's free, you just walk past the queue and carry on either along the road or a footpath. It's about a mile. If you are a NT member then that entitles you to use the shuttle. :wink:
The A303 does become a bottleneck at Stonehenge, I have been held up there for about an hour due to the volume of traffic, much of it caused by drivers rubber necking as they drive past the stones! The plans include a cut and shut tunnel, ie dig a trench then cover it over. The other alternative is to downgrade the A303 and build a new road from the M3 further south to go via Salisbury and rejoin the A303 further along.

The cheapest option would be to remove the stones and rebuild them somewhere more convenient, Heathrow would be my choice. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Stonehenge brings back memories. Free festival at each summer solstice. Great time back in the '75/'76. ..... Some great bands would turn-up and play (some well known names that felt it necessary to maintain their reputation ... I do remember Hawkwind). Tepees, "consumables" moderators would not like to see mentioned here (and plenty and ignored by the Police)

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Not surprisingly NH don't mention 'free'
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visi ... ning-times

E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote:Not surprisingly NH don't mention 'free'

Free festival ended mid-80's.

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Looked like some hangers on were still there camped along the bridleway :)

E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Looked like some hangers on were still there camped along the bridleway :)

Each year the festival never really "ended". It just ran out of steam, people drifting elsewhere over the following weeks. I think it was the lack of an end when people went elsewhere that frustrated the local and site (whoever had responsibility in those days).

Ian
rjb

Post by rjb »

Just an update. It looks like EH now have a pay and display car park at Stonehenge Visitor Centre. Woodhenge car park is still free. The NT own the land hence its free to Nt members and anyone can roam across the landscape for free. I think the EH fee covers entrance to the Visitor centre, the shuttle bus and exhibition. This is also free for NT members.
More Info here (some of it is tucked away making it difficult to find.
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/stonehenge-landscape
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Personally, I like the idea of a tunnel. It keeps the pollution and the unsightly queues contained, and allows the landscape to be seen whole.

I hope that the UK adopts EU safety standards for tunnels, post brexit, though. Many advancements have been made in recent years in understanding tunnel safety.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Si

Post by Si »

The area has been very well surveyed such that the likelihood of unknown archaeology being there is slim.

Far from it. The last couple of year's work has turned up loads of new stuff such that the area is being heavily reevaluated. We are down there in a couple of months to ground truth a lot of the recent geophys. Expect another crop of Nat Geographic docs, Time Team specials, etc. Hengelets...everywhere ;-)

The tunnel issue has been rumbling on for the best part of 30 years....in fact the money spent on consultations and inquiries would have paid for a number of tunnel projects that were dismissed as too expensive....whole thing has been a complete farce.

As for visiting the site - if you are not bothered about getting to the inner barrier and having the audio tour then go in on the bridleway. Best way to approach is along the avenue, kingbarrow ridge, down into stonehenge bottom and then you see it work in the way that it was probably meant to: you see the stones looking really small in the distance ...then they dissappear, and then they suddenly reappear when you are right up close to them, and thus look more dramatic. You also get to see some of the better barrows and the cursus this way.

Alas you can't get to the start of the avenue by the river as its private property. A great pity as its beautiful down there.....and you suddenly realise that the thing sticking out of the river bank is a blue stone.