CASSINI .... THE END.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
landsurfer

CASSINI .... THE END.

Post by landsurfer »

Watch this, if there is a tear in your eye at the end ... you are an Engineer ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrGAQCq9BMU
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: CASSINI .... THE END.

Post by Mick F »

landsurfer wrote:Watch this, if there is a tear in your eye at the end ... you are an Engineer ..

Yep.
Mick F. Cornwall
ket

Post by ket »

Brilliant
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My colleagues, staff and students are all over this event ...
13 year old in Barnsley, Final year student in Ulster, Fellows of Institutions .... We are all drawn to this ... Engineering ..... from mining the elements to flying spacecraft ... Engineering ....
Not a Nail Technician in sight ....... which is such a shame .....

Share the link;

You may change someones life ...
Be more Mike.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
When I first saw this at the cinema I thought it a good plot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek ... on_Picture

"Plot[edit]

In 2273, a Starfleet monitoring station, Epsilon Nine, detects an alien force, hidden in a massive cloud of energy, moving through space towards Earth. The cloud destroys three of the Klingon Empire's new K't'inga-class warships and the monitoring station en route. On Earth, the starship Enterprise is undergoing a major refit; her former commanding officer, James T. Kirk, has been promoted to Admiral and works in San Francisco as Chief of Starfleet Operations. Starfleet dispatches Enterprise to investigate the cloud entity as the ship is the only one in intercept range, requiring her new systems to be tested in transit.

Kirk takes command of the ship citing his experience, angering Captain Willard Decker, who had been overseeing the refit as its new commanding officer. Testing of Enterprise's new systems goes poorly; two officers, including the science officer, are killed by a malfunctioning transporter, and improperly calibrated engines almost destroy the ship. Kirk's unfamiliarity with the new systems of the Enterprise increases the tension between him and first officer Decker. Commander Spock arrives as a replacement science officer, explaining that while on his home world undergoing a ritual to purge all emotion, he felt a consciousness that he believes emanates from the cloud.

Enterprise intercepts the energy cloud and is attacked by an alien vessel within. A probe appears on the bridge, attacks Spock and abducts the navigator, Ilia. She is replaced by a robotic replica, another probe sent by "V'Ger" to study the crew. Decker is distraught over the loss of Ilia, with whom he had a romantic history. He becomes troubled as he attempts to extract information from the doppelgänger, which has Ilia's memories and feelings buried within. Spock takes a spacewalk to the alien vessel's interior and attempts a telepathic mind meld with it. In doing so, he learns that the vessel is V'Ger itself, a living machine.

At the center of the massive ship, V'Ger is revealed to be Voyager 6, a 20th-century Earth space probe believed lost. The damaged probe was found by an alien race of living machines that interpreted its programming as instructions to learn all that can be learned, and return that information to its creator. The machines upgraded the probe to fulfill its mission, and on its journey the probe gathered so much knowledge that it achieved consciousness. Spock realizes that V'Ger lacks the ability to give itself a focus other than its original mission; having learned what it could on its journey home, it finds its existence empty and without purpose. Before transmitting all its information, V'Ger insists that the Creator come in person to finish the sequence. Realizing that the machine wants to merge with its creator, Decker offers himself to V'Ger; he merges with the Ilia probe and V'Ger, creating a new form of life that disappears into another dimension. With Earth saved, Kirk directs Enterprise out to space for future missions."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It must be just me,though I feel sure there are others of a similar bent,but I get bored PDQ watching scaffold tube,a white bin lid or two,part of what looks like a Dyson vacuum cleaner,and some shiny tin foil,journeying through the blackness of the void.
Yes I know it's not that simple,but sending monkeys,then men in orbit and sticking flags up on the Moon it never quite caught my imagination,intersellar travel,yeah right....
When I look at all the,shhh you know what,that's happening here on mother Earth it all kind smacks of willy waving somehow :?
I know about communication satellites etc,etc.
But all the 'boldly going where man's never been before' is a crock of the brown stuff to me sometimes in comparison.

I know I'm a moron,and not an engineer.......

PS,is it real or just made up?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:

You are most certainly not a moron ......
Do you have a GPS ..... ?
It's real ..................
Be more Mike.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

landsurfer wrote:Watch this, if there is a tear in your eye at the end ... you are an Engineer ..

Yessir. For all that people carp about the money "wasted" in such projects, they are so wonderful that that alone justifies the expense. And the combined budgets of NASA and ESA are a drop in the bucket compared to those so happily doled out to defence departments.

A statistic worth remembering is that India sent a probe to Mars for $73 million. "The Force Awakens" cost $306 million. You might argue that the return on investment from TFA was 6 times that, but that was money out of the public's pocket and into the producers', just as lost as if four probes had been send to Mars instead of one. A single F-35 jet costs between $100 and $132 million depending on the version you want.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

You are most certainly not a moron ......
Do you have a GPS ..... ?
It's real ..................

There's one on my phone
Tongue is firmly to one side of my mouth :wink: :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Audax67 wrote: A single F-35 jet costs between $100 and $132 million depending on the version you want.

But what does not come across when these figures are thrown about is that cost is usually a 20 year cost.
20 years of support, maintenance, mods etc ...

The "go out and buy one cost" is considerably less .....

Sorry, i dId a 4 year tour at the MOD as a Spares Forecasting Officer, mostly supporting Tornado GR4 build, with Panavia and MBB, I sort of know how this works .....
It's the same for trains these days .... :)
Be more Mike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The duties of the person with one of the coolest job titles on the planet:

NASA's Planetary Protection Officer
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

[XAP]Bob wrote:The duties of the person with one of the coolest job titles on the planet:

NASA's Planetary Protection Officer

The perfect job .... you will have been dead for a thousand years before anyone finds out you cocked up ..... :D
Be more Mike.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

landsurfer wrote:
Audax67 wrote: A single F-35 jet costs between $100 and $132 million depending on the version you want.

But what does not come across when these figures are thrown about is that cost is usually a 20 year cost.
20 years of support, maintenance, mods etc ...

The "go out and buy one cost" is considerably less .....

Sorry, i dId a 4 year tour at the MOD as a Spares Forecasting Officer, mostly supporting Tornado GR4 build, with Panavia and MBB, I sort of know how this works .....
It's the same for trains these days .... :)

Gotcha. And Trump's latest wangle to reduce his tax bill will ultimately cost the US $3 trillion to $7 trillion (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... .html?_r=0). "Trillion" is too short to have much of an impact: $3,000,000,000,000 drives it home a bit better.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Audax67 wrote:A statistic worth remembering is that India sent a probe to Mars for $73 million. "

The Indians had a lot of help from the Russians and the Yanks to build and launch that probe. Only a Californian Redwood tree was long enough for the stick and only a Moscow glass factory could make a big enough milk bottle to launch it from :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

pete75 wrote:
Audax67 wrote:A statistic worth remembering is that India sent a probe to Mars for $73 million. "

The Indians had a lot of help from the Russians and the Yanks to build and launch that probe. Only a Californian Redwood tree was long enough for the stick and only a Moscow glass factory could make a big enough milk bottle to launch it from :lol:

:lol: :D
Be more Mike.