29% of Britons own a coffee pod machine. Really?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
horizon

29% of Britons own a coffee pod machine. Really?

Post by horizon »

I came across this today:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ods-london

I thought coffee pods were the outer shell of the bean or something. I didn't know it was possible to own such a machine. Do you own one?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Re: 29% of Britons own a coffee pod machine. Really?

Post by mercalia »

not me I have a filter machine
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Nope, the most important machine in our house is our venerable 12 y.o. bean-to-cup machine :D

No, really, any funny noise causes mild panic at the thought of being without it :shock:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

We have one ... it's upside down in a box in the garage waiting for the 2 year rule to elapse ....
We have standard Nescafe ... in a cup with a sweetener and skimmed milk .......
Because we like it ..... Coffee.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
barrym

Post by barrym »

We've got one. Every pod recycled - I'm a bit obsessive.

Very impressed with the coffee, I buy the strongest they do which imo is the best I've had at home. I could never find a filter coffee I enjoyed as much as coffee from a proper independent. These get close.

Also I get small quantities of decaf and odd flavours for family that have these odd tastes;-)

Admittedly it is an expensive solution, about 33p a cup, but I now don't eat cheese or drink wine, which my wife says saves a fortune so a few cups a day isn't too bad.

I must say that when I first heard of pod machines 10 years ago or so, I turned up my nose snobbishly, thinking of the consumerism waste, but I have been converted, and convinced that recycling them isn't too bad.

Anyway, it's a nice cup!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Swift 2 Plus using hovercraft full of eels.
--
Cheers
Barry
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What happens to the *recycled* pods? Are the different materials reused to make new pods or what?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Average British household size is about 2.3 people.

So 29% of Britons - does that mean that nearly every household has one?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Yes, I have one that Mrs Dopestrong bought me a few years ago.

I like the beverage, but have never been keen on the waste. The aluminium pods go in then recycling, but despite my disquiet over then resources I guess its nothing compared to coke cans etc.

Compared to Costalot Coffee etc its pretty cheap, and I don't smoke or drink so its not like I'm reckless with money.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Average British household size is about 2.3 people.

So 29% of Britons - does that mean that nearly every household has one?

This one doesn't.

Not over keen on the stuff. Stopped drinking tea several years ago. Water, sometimes with a splash of juice, orange, Lime or lemon. :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The article reports that many capsules are not recycled but go to landfill

Members of the exclusive N-Club in London may now put their used capsules in special purple bags. The capsules are recycled in Congleton

Of course the recovered material is lower grade and the whole circus uses lots more energy

One wonders whether the coffee machines in the stores (price range €50 - €1000+) illustrate how *progress* has gone too far

I am just enjoying a coffee made with a kettle and papers. The waste will be turned into compost 12 km from here, not in Congleton
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Bean to cup machine here, a Christmas present to ourselves. Never been keen on the idea of disposable pods. Press the button and out comes perfect coffee just the way you want it. Its fun trying different beans.

It does order you about - Fill tank!, Empty grounds container! Descale!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

al_yrpal wrote:Bean to cup machine here, a Christmas present to ourselves. Never been keen on the idea of disposable pods. Press the button and out comes perfect coffee just the way you want it. Its fun trying different beans.

It does order you about - Fill tank!, Empty grounds container! Descale!

Al

I use Happy Donkey Sumatra Mocha

https://www.happydonkey.co.uk/250g-suma ... beans.html

It's a happy medium we both really like, and I guess about 15-17ppc ex consumables, which I also buy (Puly brand) from Happy Donkey.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Stove top and Hario drip filter. No pod machine or cafetière.

Best drip filter support I have is a fold up stainless steel one which I take touring and camping. None of this instant nonsense.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cafetiere. Quick 'n simple.

The grounds go in the compost. The bag that the coffee comes in, goes to landfill I think (not recyclable?)

But we don't drink all that much coffee really (Mrs P finds it doesn't agree with her).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps it's 29% of Grauniad readers who have them, but even that seems like an extraordinarily high estimate. I've stayed at hotels with these in the room and I don't remember ever managing to work out the operating instructions, but my threshold for losing interest is very low.

We've experimented with all sorts including a percolator which came as a wedding present (1967) but we settled on a cafétière some years ago. We have several different sizes to cater for guests.