167 lbs Each 2015 Food Waste!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: 167 lbs Each 2015 Food Waste!

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:*this soup is lovely! did you open the tin yourself? *
Reminds me of the well-worn old'un that went:
LAIRD (serving dinner): You know, I struggled for an hour with that salmon.
GUEST: Indeed. The tin-openers they make nowadays are bloody useless....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote:... We made meatballs and tomato and herb sauce yesterday, and had it with spaghetti.
We had one meatball left over plus a small dollop of spag by the time we'd eaten enough. ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56MQBE5RVr4
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:*this soup is lovely! did you open the tin yourself? *
Reminds me of the well-worn old'un that went:
LAIRD (serving dinner): You know, I struggled for an hour with that salmon.
GUEST: Indeed. The tin-openers they make nowadays are bloody useless....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzejK4-qZ2E
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Vorpal wrote:... I opened a box of lentils and dumped them out into the pan, but some of them had gone off, and the inside of the box didn't look very good either. ...

This was the bit I was going to comment on when I was distracted by the meatballs.

I'm from a generation that checks all food before adding it to anything else. Perhaps the biggest example is eggs, but I do it with anything that might go off. I can't remember the last time I saw a rotten egg - it must date back to the 1940's - but I still decant them individually into a cup before using them.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

thirdcrank wrote:
Vorpal wrote:... I opened a box of lentils and dumped them out into the pan, but some of them had gone off, and the inside of the box didn't look very good either. ...

This was the bit I was going to comment on when I was distracted by the meatballs.

I'm from a generation that checks all food before adding it to anything else. Perhaps the biggest example is eggs, but I do it with anything that might go off. I can't remember the last time I saw a rotten egg - it must date back to the 1940's - but I still decant them individually into a cup before using them.

I do that too :lol: I looked at the lentils in the box & they looked okay, so into the pan they went. It hadn't even occurred to me that they might have gone off. If I had poured them out into something else, like I do with eggs, I wouldn't have ruined supper. :(

When I was growing up, we spent summers at grandma's farm, and there were usually chickens there. One of the jobs for the kids (me and my cousins) was to take turns collecting eggs. Sometimes one of us found a nest outside the henhouse, and then we could never be sure how long the eggs had been there. So eggs were always opened into a bowl or measuring cup, and then added to cooking. It also prevent the stray bit of shell from getting into a batter or something. I haven't seen (or rather smelled!) a rotten egg since I was child, though.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

mercalia wrote:well one restaurant in north London will be the place for the op to put his custom. A few years ago a TV programme investigated sharp practices in the food industry incl eateries. The show film using hidden cameras the said eatery washing and cleaning up the left overs from one customer and sending them out to another customer :shock: :( :? :lol: Gives a new meaning to recycling :D

That was common practice in a café I worked in over forty years ago, I won't tell you :) , the kitchen needs to be in full view, my local Chinese was like that.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Yesterday Mrs P uncovered some carrots (organic - from T*sco's* bought about a week previously) which had gone spectacularly bad - partially liquefied and covered in evil-smelling slime. Nevertheless I asked to take them in hand, I cut out all the rotten bits and washed and scraped them well, before leaving them out to dry in a well-aired place. Quite a lot were still perfectly Ok - we had them in flapjacks** for lunch today and we're still around!

* PS this never seems to happen with carrots - also organic - from Riverfords. We often keep them for two weeks or more. Sometimes they start sprouting, but they never go bad. Must be something T*sco's do to their so-called 'organic' stuff. Moral: AVOID!

** PPS anyone who can't get their head around the concept of "carrot flapjacks" - I can assure folks they're delicious as a snack! The recipe comes from Riverford, again:link here.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Very boring weekend food, lunch is always bread rolls from the oven and soup.
I normally have ham and cheese in my roll.
Bacon sometimes, two packs in fridge and top one best before 3-5 of march, open pack have a smell look at colour and shove in the oven.
Taste just normal and not run for the toilet yet :)
How many would ditch the pack of bacon.
Probably the first time we have consumed meat that far out of date, previously maybe 3 weeks.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

changing tack a bit about recycling - some sober comments from the BBC about what cant be recycled and why -
eg
"Black plastic food trays: "Supermarkets think black trays make meat look redder so they colour the tray black but that makes it worthless for recycling. Also, if someone leaves the torn film on the tray, with a bloody card below it, we just have to chuck it anyway"

I didnt know that :!:

when I think of all the trouble I go to to clean them :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39953209