Too far?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
freiston

Re: Too far?

Post by freiston »

I'm blown away again! What really tickled me was the way Danny Macaskill, on the way down, tackled that barbed wire fence!
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Its like skate boards, BMX, Motocross, and horse riding, broken limbs abound.

Danny's film is beautiful to watch but we know that its been very well produced.
I guess that you don't do any of that with one take, the end of a wee day out shows that.
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 13 May 2017, 8:31am, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Holy Corbyn that looks scary! He does look pretty handy at it though.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Paulatic wrote:Someone tried it :P
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39720632

Unfortunately as with anything there's a downside,in people thinking they have the same high skills.
I see it every time someone on a sports motorcycle comes flying past me when I'm driving my car,sooner or later.......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I like this-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTcdutIcEJ4

And far harder than on a bike or skateboard.

Tony Hawk:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaf8zHp-iaY watch carefully how once he learns not to let his body get in front of the board on the loop he cracks it.
It was the same problem the the stunt guy had running the loop.
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 May 2017, 8:54am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

Mick F wrote:
mercalia wrote:madman :lol:

now what about cycling back?
Exactly.

I'm unimpressed by these dare-devil downhills, they are stupid and sensation-grabbing. Childish maybe.
I would be impressed if these so-called cyclists, could get back up to the top.

to me that's a bit like saying that usain bolt, carl lewis, linford christie, etc are a bit stupid and childish because they cant run a marathon . Its a different sort of running, not better, not worse, just different.

I also remember years a go a similar argument about down hillers not being able to ride uphill so they arranged a race between rob warner (ex british number 1 dher) and a good cross country rider...the race was doen then back up again and warner won it.....the xcer was quicker up but warner was faster overall. Dh riding at top level isnt just pointing the bike down hill and closing your eyes, it does need loads of fitness.

Also, if we were to criticise these people for putting them selves in danger then i'm sure we could find a lot more people who would have similar criticisms of anyone who'd simply take a bike on a public road. Afterall, you may fall off a few times on a dh, but you probably wont get run over by a bus, boy racer, skip lorry, etc! :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Well put Si :wink:

I am not bashing you R2, I am an all weather motorcyclist and trail / trial rider, survival is most commonly experience.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

.......I am not bashing you R2,.....

I didn't think you were in the least bit.
I was just pointing out a technique that the runner and Hawk had to learn 'on the job' as both stunts hadn't been done before.
In the context of learning if these very experienced athletes needed to learn it in a controlled environment there's more chance of serious bodily damage for the less wary 'I can do that' part timer who only thinks s/he's good at it such as the woman mentioned up thread who came to grief on the Cullins trying to emulate Danny Macaskill.
The pro's are extremely skillful in their art and what seems simple to them has taken years of dedication so that it becomes second nature,and I don't think everyone appreciates that.
Declaring that the downhiller would have problems or couldn't get back to the top is crass even as a joke,it's disrespectful and degrading the skill and art seen in these people's dedication IMHO.
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 May 2017, 9:35am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Some time around 1970, when I was about 10 years old, I constructed ramps on a dirt track that my fiends and I jumped on our bikes. This was before anyone had even heard of "mountain bikes". We were using all sorts of kids bikes and scooters. The more unsuitable the bike (or scooter) the bigger the challenge. On one occasion I misjudged a corner, went wide and went over the bars into a nettle patch. On another occasion my brother did a face plant onto a cinder track, making his face a bloody mess. Great fun. So if some bigger kids are taking that spirit and taking it to the limit, I love it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Some time around 1970, when I was about 10 years old, I constructed ramps on a dirt track that my fiends and I jumped on our bikes. This was before anyone had even heard of "mountain bikes". We were using all sorts of kids bikes and scooters. The more unsuitable the bike (or scooter) the bigger the challenge. On one occasion I misjudged a corner, went wide and went over the bars into a nettle patch. On another occasion my brother did a face plant onto a cinder track, making his face a bloody mess. Great fun. So if some bigger kids are taking that spirit and taking it to the limit, I love it.

We've all(well most of us anyway)done it,like we've all painted pictures or written songs or poems at some point.
It's just that some 'grew out of it' whilst others didn't,those that didn't became masters to one degree or another at whatever they did.
Watching them lifts the spirit,like a Lennon and McCartney song or a Van Gough,etc,can.
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi
Ignore my comment R2.....sorry I just realised I got my wires crossed.... :oops:
reohn2 wrote:

I was just pointing out a technique that the runner and Hawk had to learn 'on the job' as both stunts hadn't been done before.
In the context of learning if these very experienced athletes needed to learn it in a controlled environment there's more chance of serious bodily damage for the less wary 'I can do that' part timer who only thinks s/he's good at it such as the woman mentioned up thread who came to grief on the Cullins trying to emulate Danny Macaskill.
The pro's are extremely skillful in their art and what seems simple to them has taken years of dedication so that it becomes second nature,and I don't think everyone appreciates that.
Declaring that the downhiller would have problems or couldn't get back to the top is crass even as a joke,it's disrespectful and degrading the skill and art of these people's dedication IMHO.

Mmmm I was thinking of this-
R2 wrte

"Unfortunately as with anything there's a downside,in people thinking they have the same high skills.
I see it every time someone on a sports motorcycle comes flying past me when I'm driving my car,sooner or later......."

Lately or some time back "Born Again Bikers" those who past their test on a 125 or even a 250 back then would return to motorcycling after a family etc, with spare cash many years without riding between, power is insane and experience lacking.........................but I can talk, riding every day then putting myself in ITU :?

Back on subject and reality its good to dream........
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:Some time around 1970, when I was about 10 years old, I constructed ramps on a dirt track that my fiends and I jumped on our bikes. This was before anyone had even heard of "mountain bikes". We were using all sorts of kids bikes and scooters. The more unsuitable the bike (or scooter) the bigger the challenge. On one occasion I misjudged a corner, went wide and went over the bars into a nettle patch. On another occasion my brother did a face plant onto a cinder track, making his face a bloody mess. Great fun. So if some bigger kids are taking that spirit and taking it to the limit, I love it.

We've all(well most of us anyway)done it,like we've all painted pictures or written songs or poems at some point.
It's just that some 'grew out of it' whilst others didn't,those that didn't became masters to one degree or another at whatever they did.
Watching them lifts the spirit,like a Lennon and McCartney song or a Van Gough,etc,can.

Memories...............

There is a hill (old story) near me I frequented often in my youth, on the bike 45 mph is easy but...........................me and my mate before legal age would go cart on planks and pram wheels with nails and a pivot bolt. Lying head first no brakes. 1:6 hill :?

I know that today we would be arrested for such, would I go back and do it now.....................yes if my mate agreed :lol:
pwa

Post by pwa »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi
Ignore my comment R2.....sorry I just realised I got my wires crossed.... :oops:
reohn2 wrote:

Declaring that the downhiller would have problems or couldn't get back to the top is crass even as a joke,it's disrespectful and degrading the skill and art of these people's dedication IMHO.

Mmmm I was thinking of this-
R2 wrte

"Unfortunately as with anything there's a downside,in people thinking they have the same high skills.
I see it every time someone on a sports motorcycle comes flying past me when I'm driving my car,sooner or later......."

Lately or some time back "Born Again Bikers" those who past their test on a 125 or even a 250 back then would return to motorcycling after a family etc, with spare cash many years without riding between, power is insane and experience lacking.........................but I can talk, riding every day then putting myself in ITU :?

Back on subject and reality its good to dream........

I suppose for me the important thing about taking risks in one's sport is that the risk is limited to the participants. If I go and try to climb K2 I know the dangers and make a choice that does not put any innocent person in danger, so no real problem. If I take a fast car onto the road and put my foot down I take a risk with my own life and that of everyone around me.... So whilst I don't fancy high risk sports myself, I'm happy for others to do them. Preferably with the skills required.