Are you going to Watch the Eurovision Song Contest? 2018

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Are you going to Watch/Listen to the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest?

Poll ended at 13 May 2018, 11:20am

Yes
31%
No
63%
Maybe
6%

Total votes: 16

mercalia

Re: Are you going to Watch the Eurovision Song Contest? 2018

Post by mercalia »

if you thought it not possible. it seems we did worse than broadcast

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48375560

didnt get 13 points really just got 8 :lol: from the juries

what a humiliation, cant even come last well :lol: :shock:
Last edited by mercalia on 23 May 2019, 9:21am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:if you thought it not possible. it seems we did worse than broadcast

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48375560

didnt get 13 points really just got 8 :lol:

what a humiliation, cant even come last well :lol: :shock:

On the contrary, we did last very well, seemingly! :D
peetee

Post by peetee »

Forgive me if this has been answered already but I can't be ###ed to trawl through the whole thread - especially as it's such a hateful subject, but, who is it that is financing this dreadful institution? I have never met a single person that would rather watch something else, nay, anything else. Even my friends with impeccable taste would rather watch Jeremy Kyle than Eurovision. Probably.
Clearly there is no corrolation between money and taste.
I have often wondered if the invited live audience are provided with a collection of red hot pins that they can insert in thier eyes for a bit of light relief.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

peetee wrote:I have never met a single person that would rather watch something else, nay, anything else.

I suspect that you don't actually mean that.
mjr

Post by mjr »

peetee wrote:who is it that is financing this dreadful institution?

Most of Europe and Australia to some degree, from the various TV taxes that pay for public service broadcasting. However, the European Broadcasting Union (which manages Eurovision and its Song Contest) isn't itself a public corporation so I'm not sure where it publishes its accounts. Some snippets:
The 2019 host broadcaster's deposit was €12m and some estimate the total hosting cost was over €30m, with the host broadcaster paying up to €20m.
• Entry fees ("participation fees") total €6.2m. The BBC paid £310,000 to enter in 2012 and £173,000 in 2008 so it probably varies over the years (maybe with how much the event costs the host?), but last I checked, as well as being one of 40ish entrants, the BBC also buys the distribution rights to non-EBU-member countries like the USA - but I didn't find how much it pays and how much it makes from sales. Probably makes quite a bit because the contest is very popular, even if you don't like it.
• Any profit is reimbursed to the participating broadcasters, where law allows.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Bonefishblues wrote:Quite a lot of people disagree:

https://oneurope.co.uk/eurovision/eurov ... g-figures/

I am content in my own rebellious little world.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:
peetee wrote:who is it that is financing this dreadful institution?

Most of Europe and Australia to some degree, from the various TV taxes that pay for public service broadcasting. However, the European Broadcasting Union (which manages Eurovision and its Song Contest) isn't itself a public corporation so I'm not sure where it publishes its accounts. Some snippets:
The 2019 host broadcaster's deposit was €12m and some estimate the total hosting cost was over €30m, with the host broadcaster paying up to €20m.
• Entry fees ("participation fees") total €6.2m. The BBC paid £310,000 to enter in 2012 and £173,000 in 2008 so it probably varies over the years (maybe with how much the event costs the host?), but last I checked, as well as being one of 40ish entrants, the BBC also buys the distribution rights to non-EBU-member countries like the USA - but I didn't find how much it pays and how much it makes from sales. Probably makes quite a bit because the contest is very popular, even if you don't like it.
• Any profit is reimbursed to the participating broadcasters, where law allows.

still alot of money to come last. Clearly didnt bribe the right people?
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:still alot of money to come last. Clearly didnt bribe the right people?

About 2500 votes are allocated by the public phoning in now. Any suggestions on how to bribe the audience? ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

mercalia wrote:Maybe you can suggest some of the really current great performers in Europe that I can look up.

I couldn't, but then I also couldn't suggest some of the really current great performers in the US or the UK (I believe I am showing my age - kids these days, it's just noise ...). That said, it's not surprising that a country that prides itself in its inability to name famous foreigners would struggle to promote foreign music on the radio - to be fair growing up in Belgium we didn't get much of the good UK music on the radio.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.