Housing crisis

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
elPedro666

Re: Housing crisis

Post by elPedro666 »

These are absolutely fantastic - the more you look the better thought through you find them to be, superb design.
http://www.dwelle.co.uk/

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Tiny House Scotland have some nice designs https://tinyhousescotland.co.uk/
and are involved in the design and building of the Social Bite Tiny House Village for homeless people in Edinburgh https://tinyhousescotland.co.uk/social- ... e-village/
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

elPedro666 wrote:These are absolutely fantastic - the more you look the better thought through you find them to be, superb design.

It's a composting toilet -> my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.

High class :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:
elPedro666 wrote:These are absolutely fantastic - the more you look the better thought through you find them to be, superb design.

Sorry to be ironically negative but .. Cost of the Dwelle.ing including land plot ? Building footprint + 37% .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Sorry to be ironically negative but .. Cost of the Dwelle.ing including land plot ? Building footprint + 37% .....

I think you'll find that they're the top end of the modular housing market as I posted "High class" :wink:

Land cost has been mentioned,but it's what you put on that land that's being discussed,bricks and mortar building is costly,recycled shipping containers are cheap by comparison,are easily converted and can if done well be stylish and very efficient,as I also mentioned up thread other are other systems equally as efficient though may not be as cheap.
Last edited by reohn2 on 23 May 2017, 6:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Good point .... but are there any "eco modular family homes " that are not at the high cost end of the market .....
I suppose "Tristan and Susie" must need a better choice for their second / weekend home ..... :lol:
Real world living ?
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:Good point .... but are there any "eco modular family homes " that are not at the high cost end of the market .....
I suppose "Tristan and Susie" must need a better choice for their second / weekend home ..... :lol:
Real world living ?

I'm stuggling here I really am :?
The thread was started as one possible answer to the housing crisis,which IMO shipping containers can be that answer.
Tristan and Susie and land costs aren't anything to do with the thread really as such ingredients are unavoidable,one due to cost the other due to fashion/chic or the dwarling effect.
There are whole swathes of the populous who can't afford to leave home due to the prohibitive cost of housing,this is one answer.
There are other further reaching consequences such as this type of housing can quickly be built near to people's employment and as such,reduce pollution and car use for those who presently are forced to live with their parents perhaps far away from where they work.
Also those parents may find as Mrs R2 and I found no longer needed the size of house we were living in so down sized realising capital wrapped up in property,and creating family housing,some of those parents may even downsize to container living.
I'd recommend a visit to an NL 'new' town for innovative thinking in housing,the UK is way behind and very conservative where innovative living is concerned,a bit like it's attitude toward transport IMO

EDIT:- Thinks.......... as an aside,we've been groomed by the consumerist society we've created to accumulate 'stuff',most of it unnecessary and useless and sometime all the 'stuff' gets in the way of the reality of just living,maybe this kind of living could teach us a lesson we need to learn as people that life isn't about having 'stuff'.
Last edited by reohn2 on 23 May 2017, 7:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

It staggers me just how few homes are built for single people or couples. It's simply not being done in rural areas. Hardly any in cities other than flats. Something that is desperately needed.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Lived in a shipping container for 3 months in Port Stanley ..... Luxury !!!
Have seen many alternative houses on various tv programmes .... that all seem to cost 5 times as much as a standard 3 bed semi ......
Our Sally .... has a shared equity, social house, in amongst an estate of 250K houses in Truro .... the value of the "social housing" is rocketing .. way beyond the value of the "main estate" .....
Don't think that was the plan somehow .... :)
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
Our Sally .... has a shared equity, social house, in amongst an estate of 250K houses in Truro .... the value of the "social housing" is rocketing .. way beyond the value of the "main estate" .....

I agree it probably wasn't,but without the mechanisms put in place to stop it happening,happen it will,bees and honey.But what can you expect with a society based on greed and the 'market' being the ruler of life?
We're not learning.
W H Auden
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

I agree it probably wasn't,but without the mechanisms put in place to stop it happening,happen it will,bees and honey.But what can you expect with a society based on greed and the 'market' being the ruler of life?
We're not learning.

Communism doesn't work.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:But what can you expect with a society based on greed and the 'market' being the ruler of life?
We're not learning.

Where are the successful societies NOT based on "Greed and the Market" ... where freedom of expression, gender neutrality and political freedom are cherished .... Where ... teach me master !!

Sorry, not trying to be rude ... honestly ..
David
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Boyd wrote:Communism doesn't work.

Did anyone claim it did?

That said it's because of the housing crisis brought about by allowing the market decide,and the erroneous belief in the trickle-down theory that the country finds itself in the position it is now which, make no mistake about it is dire! :?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:But what can you expect with a society based on greed and the 'market' being the ruler of life?
We're not learning.

Where are the successful societies NOT based on "Greed and the Market" ... where freedom of expression, gender neutrality and political freedom are cherished .... Where ... teach me master !!

David

You're becoming unreasonable again David and personal in the process.

You imply the current state of affairs in the country is optimum or is the best we can expect?
See my reply to Boyd.
W H Auden
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
We're not learning.

David

You're becoming unreasonable again David and personal in the process.

You imply the current state of affairs in the country is optimum or is the best we can expect?
See my reply to Boyd.

He did nothing of the sort. He merely pointed out that capitalism works relative to all the other options. He made no reference to the extremes that are possible.