Manchester

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: Manchester

Post by pwa »

horizon wrote:I dip into this thread from time to time so haven't read it all. But how did it get to talking about God? Religion maybe, but not God.

I would say we need to talk about class (Sunni privilege vis-a-vis Shias in Shia dominated Iraq), religion (the Sunni/Shia schism), politics (the outcome in Iraq and its relationship to the West), war (IS versus Shia Iraq and the West) and psychology (how IS persuades people to act as its agents in the West). Throw in British attitudes to the rest of the world (and their pre-historic solutions for dealing with terrorism) and you are half-way to getting an understanding of what might be going on. Like I said though, half-way.

God doesn't even come into it (unless you were praying for the election result we've just had :wink: ).

Probably another thread drift, but I actually think the UK is better at dealing with terrorists in a progressive way than most countries. Look at the Good Friday Agreement and power sharing in Northern Ireland. Can you imagine Putin settling for that way of dealing with people who have bombed his capital city? It has not always been like that, but we are now pretty clear sighted in our view of terrorists.
horizon

Post by horizon »

pwa wrote:
Probably another thread drift, but I actually think the UK is better at dealing with terrorists in a progressive way than most countries. Look at the Good Friday Agreement and power sharing in Northern Ireland. Can you imagine Putin settling for that way of dealing with people who have bombed his capital city? It has not always been like that, but we are now pretty clear sighted in our view of terrorists.

It took 11 years of Thatcher to get through before we reached that point. Do you remember how the BBC had to use actors to speak Gerry Adams' words? It took Jeremy Corbyn don't forget to force the pace and get them talking and look how he is vilified for that. And yet we still haven't learnt the lessons. And UK police are still sent to Israel for training.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pwa

Post by pwa »

horizon wrote:
pwa wrote:

It took 11 years of Thatcher to get through before we reached that point. Do you remember how the BBC had to use actors to speak Gerry Adams' words? It took Jeremy Corbyn don't forget to force the pace and get them talking and look how he is vilified for that. And yet we still haven't learnt the lessons. And UK police are still sent to Israel for training.

We got there in the end with the IRA / Sinn Fein, which is worth celebrating.