Are you going to the flicks to see Wonder Woman

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Are you going to the flicks to see Wonder Woman?

Poll ended at 6 Jun 2017, 3:36pm

Yes
18%
No
64%
Maybe
18%

Total votes: 11

661-Pete

Re: Are you going to the flicks to see Wonder Woman

Postby 661-Pete » 7 Jun 2017, 9:15pm

As it happens, I also went to see Prometheus when it came out. Equally disillusioning: in fact I could make hardly any sense of it. Oh well....

Do others find these Von-Däniken-ish central conceits, invoking some sort of extraterrestrial human 'origin', a bit wearisome? We had this concept in Hitchhiker's Guide, true, but at least it was there treated in a comedy setting (and was hilarious). On the other hand, when I realised that Däniken was emerging in Prometheus (having ignored the obvious hint in the film title) it was a complete turn-off.

Which takes me neatly on to my fave SF writer, Larry Niven. OK, he placed a similar fiction into his Ringworld series and the Known Space universe, and I admit that isn't my favourite feature of the genre. Nevertheless, I'd still like the long-awaited movie of Ringworld to appear some time. Some time......
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 7 Jun 2017, 11:16pm

661-Pete wrote:As it happens, I also went to see Prometheus when it came out. Equally disillusioning: in fact I could make hardly any sense of it. Oh well....

Do others find these Von-Däniken-ish central conceits, invoking some sort of extraterrestrial human 'origin', a bit wearisome? We had this concept in Hitchhiker's Guide, true, but at least it was there treated in a comedy setting (and was hilarious). On the other hand, when I realised that Däniken was emerging in Prometheus (having ignored the obvious hint in the film title) it was a complete turn-off.

Which takes me neatly on to my fave SF writer, Larry Niven. OK, he placed a similar fiction into his Ringworld series and the Known Space universe, and I admit that isn't my favourite feature of the genre. Nevertheless, I'd still like the long-awaited movie of Ringworld to appear some time. Some time......

well you now know what Prometheus was about - was the behind the scenes story of where the monster aliens came from and why - the so called builders who made humanity had a change of heart and decide to wipe it out - hence the alien monster. A pretty weak explanation/story line as it would be oh so slow to exterminate humanity one by one? - better some kind of virus; so a very weak excuse for the story - the story itself better if it was not connected to Alien and the sequel should have been finding the builders? You may know that the monster from Alien was a rip off from A. E. van Vogt's The Voyage of the Space Beagle - as was Star Trek. The Voyage of the Space Beagle is a lovely Space Opera type book of the voyages to where no man has gone before......

blackbike

Postby blackbike » 8 Jun 2017, 7:47pm

Possibly.

I have a mentally handicapped relative (or a relative with an intellectual disability) of 19 who is very young for his age, and I and other relatives take him to the cinema a few times a year to reduce the number of his favourite superhero films his parents have to endure.

The genre's audience is almost all teenage boys and slightly sad looking men in their 20s and 30s. The films are idiotic, formulaic, very loud and so dull they remind me of sitting through double French at school when I was about 12.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 8 Jun 2017, 8:04pm

My 9 year old grand daughter ...
She thought Wonder Woman was amazing .... buoyed up by its positive role model ....
No "Man " required to make her relevant .... my words , not her's...
She is so excited about going to see the Woman's Tour of Britain on Saturday ....
Why is it so difficult to give female children positive female role models ?
Good "filum" .... for girls and guys ....by the way ...
Yes, we had tickets to a preview, free, because we asked ....

What a positive female change in the Marvel scripts .....
The Road Goes On Forever

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 8 Jun 2017, 9:43pm

blackbike wrote:Possibly.

I have a mentally handicapped relative (or a relative with an intellectual disability) of 19 who is very young for his age, and I and other relatives take him to the cinema a few times a year to reduce the number of his favourite superhero films his parents have to endure.

The genre's audience is almost all teenage boys and slightly sad looking men in their 20s and 30s. The films are idiotic, formulaic, very loud and so dull they remind me of sitting through double French at school when I was about 12.

but that was "good" for you :wink:

PaulB

Postby PaulB » 12 Jun 2017, 11:39am

Not a film I would go to see but then I don't go to the cinema. Not sure how the very attractive main star will affect young girls' body image problems.

One of the advantages of being a grandad is I get to watch the Toy Story films - over and over - best films ever!

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 12 Jun 2017, 1:08pm

PaulB wrote:... I get to watch the Toy Story films - over and over - best films ever!

Amen to that!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

blackbike

Postby blackbike » 16 Jun 2017, 12:01am

At least we can choose whether to go and watch the film or not.

Some countries have banned it.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/jordan-mov ... der-woman/

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 16 Jun 2017, 11:00am

blackbike wrote:At least we can choose whether to go and watch the film or not.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment,you source of reading material never fails to surprise and amaze :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

blackbike

Postby blackbike » 16 Jun 2017, 1:02pm

reohn2 wrote:
blackbike wrote:At least we can choose whether to go and watch the film or not.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment,you source of reading material never fails to surprise and amaze :?

The world wide web is good for enabling people to broaden their choice of news sources and to gain a better idea of what is going on in the world.

Gone are the days when we had to rely on heavily state regulated and selective TV and radio news and perhaps one or two newspapers bought every day.

It surprises me that many people, especially older ones, fail to take advantage of the web and still rely on the limited number of news sources they used before the internet arrived in everyone's homes.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 16 Jun 2017, 3:14pm

blackbike wrote:The world wide web is good for enabling people to broaden their choice of news sources and to gain a better idea of what is going on in the world.

Gone are the days when we had to rely on heavily state regulated and selective TV and radio news and perhaps one or two newspapers bought every day.

It surprises me that many people, especially older ones, fail to take advantage of the web and still rely on the limited number of news sources they used before the internet arrived in everyone's homes.

Once again I agree with your sentiment but remain surprised at your source.
The words loaded and inflammatory spring to mind.
If people wish their petty squabbles based on religious grounds so be it.
To paraphrase Jesus (funnily enough)"what shall I compare this generation to,like two groups of children playing when one group says to the other,"we played a tune and you didn't dance",the other replies,"we sang a song and you didn't join in",and so it is"......
I cycle therefore I am.

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 16 Jun 2017, 3:33pm

In response to the original question: Good God no!
Have we got time for another cuppa?

blackbike

Postby blackbike » 16 Jun 2017, 3:56pm

reohn2 wrote:
blackbike wrote:The world wide web is good for enabling people to broaden their choice of news sources and to gain a better idea of what is going on in the world.

Once again I agree with your sentiment but remain surprised at your source.
The words loaded and inflammatory spring to mind.
If people wish their petty squabbles based on religious grounds so be it.

What is loaded or inflammatory about reporting facts?

Should news providers refrain from reporting some facts because some people might react badly to others knowing them?

That is appeasement and censorship.

Some countries have banned the Wonder Woman film. Now you know about it because I told you.

What's the problem?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 16 Jun 2017, 4:23pm

blackbike wrote:What is loaded or inflammatory about reporting facts?

Should news providers refrain from reporting some facts because some people might react badly to others knowing them?

Some countries have banned the Wonder Woman film. Now you know about it because I told you.

What's the problem?

If you don't know I'm not going to tell you.
I cycle therefore I am.

blackbike

Postby blackbike » 16 Jun 2017, 5:04pm

reohn2 wrote:
blackbike wrote:What is loaded or inflammatory about reporting facts?

What's the problem?

If you don't know I'm not going to tell you.

Why not?

Please don't shield me from facts which you think might inflame me.

They won't.