Trump AGAIN?????????

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Trump AGAIN?????????

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote:I'm wondering how long before his actions cause something global that effects us all :?

I think from a military perspective he has delegated a lot to the military - so he's not making as many decisions as previous presidents. Similarly, he might be a big character flaw but more than anything he needs to feel the world admires him and I think others would point out to him how he'd be regarded were he to start any of the wars he makes out he's "ready for". All bluster to convince everybody what a tough person he is and how we should all admire him.

But were he to e.g. decide to invade Iraq because of their "WMDs" can you see any other country going along with him now? (Even Saint Theresa might think twice).

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:He's doing an excellent job (though not intentionally). US was always over dominant, too many other world leaders inthrall to whatever POTUS wanted ("invade this country with us" and the world leaps in without questions, etc.). It's for the good of the world if US declines in it's political dominance (might not be so good for US citizens but it's got to happen). And that's what Trump is doing - alienating other nations and world leaders.

But the detail is not all bad. e.g. Trump pulls-out of Paris and more of US becomes determined to exceed the Paris targets (net gain through the contrary response Trump created). Trump supports far right and the rest of the country is outraged and there is a big anti-far-right push.

US is so anti-Trump now, every time he makes a fool of himself, he inspires a massive counter reaction. To clarify, were to Trump to condemn the far-right protests in Charlottesville and it's all a non-story and would quickly drop from prominence; but Trump fails to condemn far-right and massive outcry, country rises-up against far-right, CEOs protest, internet companies start blocking hosting and social media accounts, etc.

OK, he's a disaster but the contrary reactions he creates pretty well every time he opens his mouth mean that the net effect is often better than had he "done the right thing". And his character flaw making lash out at anybody disagreeing with him is progressive alienating more and more Republicans meaning he is less and less likely to get any of his idea into legislation.

Ian

I understand, but Dear Lord on a Bicycle how I wish it were not so.

We're (Globally) undergoing a period with a dearth of political talent, prime amongst which is this man. To paraphrase summat that happened in 1969, the ego has landed.

Let's cheer up with a listen that comes to mind :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPRci2BFTMc
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Of the drumpfh, what can one say? No words will suffice. If only there were a quick, non-violent means of putting an end to all this (contrary to my baser instincts, I don't really want to see his brains spattered over a car seat in Dealy Plaza - as happened to a man 10,000 times his superior...)!

As to the statue which sparked all this off - why such a fuss? I suppose it's America, and they do things differently over there. Anyone know which historical figures - some of them of questionable morals - are commemorated in statues in jolly old UK? (I know there's a statue of Louis XIV outside Versailles - but even the most diehard French republican doesn't seem that bothered).

The one statue controversy in England that I'm aware of - seeing as I'm an alumnus of that institution - is that statue of Cecil Rhodes which adorns a college in Oxford. I believe it's still there, despite clamours for its removal. During my student times I was totally unaware of its existence - it was on an exterior wall of the college that I didn't often glance at as I went past.

Perhaps it should remain - as a stern reminder to all of us of the unpleasantness of certain historical individuals?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:As to the statue which sparked all this off - why such a fuss? I suppose it's America, and they do things differently over there. Anyone know which historical figures - some of them of questionable morals - are commemorated in statues in jolly old UK? (I know there's a statue of Louis XIV outside Versailles - but even the most diehard French republican doesn't seem that bothered).

The US Civil War was fought over the right to own other human beings. It's not just a matter of questionable morals. Most of the statues were erected well after the Civil War, during either the Jim Crow era, or the civil rights era. They were meant to be symbols of oppression, and placed in front of the public institutions in the USA that most suffer from racial bias.

It would be okay to put a statue of Robert E. Lee up in a museum, but does it really belong in from of a court house where there is a demonstrable problem with systemic racism?

How would you feel if someone put up a statue to honour Hitler? That's how it feels to black US Americans.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Vorpal wrote:
661-Pete wrote:As to the statue which sparked all this off - why such a fuss? I suppose it's America, and they do things differently over there. Anyone know which historical figures - some of them of questionable morals - are commemorated in statues in jolly old UK? (I know there's a statue of Louis XIV outside Versailles - but even the most diehard French republican doesn't seem that bothered).

The US Civil War was fought over the right to own other human beings. It's not just a matter of questionable morals. Most of the statues were erected well after the Civil War, during either the Jim Crow era, or the civil rights era. They were meant to be symbols of oppression, and placed in front of the public institutions in the USA that most suffer from racial bias.

It would be okay to put a statue of Robert E. Lee up in a museum, but does it really belong in from of a court house where there is a demonstrable problem with systemic racism?

How would you feel if someone put up a statue to honour Hitler? That's how it feels to black US Americans.

I think a problem we have here in the UK is that (on average)we just don't think like the Americans do (on average).
I have friends and relatives out there, and have visited. And, (again, on average, thankfully not my contacts there) many Americans are still mentally fighting the civil war. For them, it's still raw. In Europe, we have had to deal with many wars on our own soil since then, so for us it is difficult to appreciate that ongoing hostility they still harbour about it. Most of us in the UK have no problems with working or playing with Germans, despite WW2 being well within living memory of many of us. But there is still a latent hostility between some states in the US that is a direct hangover from the civil war, despite those involved being long dead, and despite the fact that it wasn't actually fought, as so many people ignorant of history believe, on who was pro or against slavery; that was one issue involved but not the only one. And Americans tend to be significantly less well informed on their history than we are on ours.

You can even encounter people there who still hate the British because of the war of independence, even though no British person is remotely responsible and most British people didn't even have the vote at the time, and were rather more economically oppressed than the people living in what is now the USA at the time. I'm serious, you do. And I mean really hate. It's scary.

It is a sign of great immaturity in a country to still be hung up on bearing long dead grudges like that, but that's how it is in some places. That sort of attitude is like racism itself, and other similar things, it tends to thrive where people feel marginalised or hard done by (whether that's true or not). Some people try and change things, and work to make things better in the world, those are the heroes. The majority just plod on day to day doing the best they can without hurting other people, because they are decent human beings. But the dregs will always just look around for other people to blame for their problems, and like most bullies, they look for people weaker than themselves- or in countries with stupid gun laws, people less heavily armed. And one thing about the dregs makes them dangerous- their stupidity combined with their malice makes them very easy for the truly evil to manipulate for their own ends.

At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, Hitler used grudges about the Versailles treaty in his rise to power....grudges are a volatile fuel for the wicked.
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

Flinders wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

I think a problem we have here in the UK is that (on average)we just don't think like the Americans do (on average).
I have friends and relatives out there, and have visited. And, (again, on average, thankfully not my contacts there) many Americans are still mentally fighting the civil war. For them, it's still raw. In Europe, we have had to deal with many wars on our own soil since then, so for us it is difficult to appreciate that ongoing hostility they still harbour about it. Most of us in the UK have no problems with working or playing with Germans, despite WW2 being well within living memory of many of us. But there is still a latent hostility between some states in the US that is a direct hangover from the civil war, despite those involved being long dead, and despite the fact that it wasn't actually fought, as so many people ignorant of history believe, on who was pro or against slavery; that was one issue involved but not the only one. And Americans tend to be significantly less well informed on their history than we are on ours.

You can even encounter people there who still hate the British because of the war of independence, even though no British person is remotely responsible and most British people didn't even have the vote at the time, and were rather more economically oppressed than the people living in what is now the USA at the time. I'm serious, you do. And I mean really hate. It's scary.

It is a sign of great immaturity in a country to still be hung up on bearing long dead grudges like that, but that's how it is in some places. That sort of attitude is like racism itself, and other similar things, it tends to thrive where people feel marginalised or hard done by (whether that's true or not). Some people try and change things, and work to make things better in the world, those are the heroes. The majority just plod on day to day doing the best they can without hurting other people, because they are decent human beings. But the dregs will always just look around for other people to blame for their problems, and like most bullies, they look for people weaker than themselves- or in countries with stupid gun laws, people less heavily armed. And one thing about the dregs makes them dangerous- their stupidity combined with their malice makes them very easy for the truly evil to manipulate for their own ends.

At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, Hitler used grudges about the Versailles treaty in his rise to power....grudges are a volatile fuel for the wicked.

plus 1
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I think I was making this point - I see a lot of unpleasant imagery about anyway, and one extra item is just one more. But Vorpal's is a good point: these things belong in a museum - just as the remains of Auschwitz-Birkenau are now one big museum, where people can visit to remember and be reminded of, and in some instances be ashamed of, the horrors of the past. Two years ago we visited Gettysburg, where the entire battlefield is in effect one big open-air museum too - and the statues of Lee and other confeds. didn't seem out of place there. We even took photos of ourselves standing in front of Lee! Was that poor taste? Others do the same.

Incidentally, there have been complaints about tourists taking 'selfies' at Auschwitz. I'm ambivalent about that - being of one of the minorities persecuted by the nazis.

Also, I think the 'Jim Crow' period - which probably still extends to the present day in some areas - was almost as bad as the epoch of slavery which preceded it. We don't need stories like To Kill A Mockingbird, or Rosa Parks' experiences, to remind us of that.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In the USA the wounds of Civil War are kept open by people who persist in perpetuating the oppression that led to the Civil War in the first place. It doesn't take the 'alt-right' marching in Charlottesville.

Most racism is more subtle, gerrymandering, closing polling places in majority black neighborhoods or requiring identification from voters, funding schools from property taxes, so that poor neighborhoods and towns cannot get as much funding for their schools as wealthy ones. The prison system is modern slavery, filled with 'criminals' who are mostly minorities, kept in horrid conditions, and working for pennies, so that large corporations can profit. And that's before we start talking about perceptions, such as how people feel that minority neighborhoods are 'bad' or that a 9 year old black child is perceived as being more culpable than a white child of the same age.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a statute in Bristol commemorating a prominent local philanthropist from the 1700s who gave a lot of money.to good causes like the ill, children/orphans and a lot of civic projects. He was also responsible for a lot of the transportation of slaves to the colonies. That's where.his money came from. The triangle if trade of which human beings was just one leg of it emanating from southwestern ports of England.

There was an interview.for the news with a local amateur historian from the local society (white elderly lady) and a professional historian (black lady in her late forties/early fifties). You can guess who came out better. The discussion was about that statue in Bristol. White woman said it's historical statue that's part of the history of the area. Leave it there. The black woman said it should be in.context as history to be taught as a particularly bad part of our nation's history. In can't remember if they should be in a museum not in a public space according to the professional historian.

The point is we're ambivalent to these images of prejudiced and exploitative times. It's probably because it's history and we don't really know much.of our own history as a nation.

USA isn't the same. It's part and parcel of their sense of nation or patriotism to know about their white and black history. Native American history aside it's this historical aspect that makes statues more of an issue overt there IMHO.

BTW this historical aspect of civil war statues really that is the issue. Culturally and historically they are about harking back to a time when the white south had a cultural high. When industrial north boomed the south relatively struggled. I reckon this coincided with the raising of these statues in the south. Whilst theres statues in the north it's these southern ones that I'm thinking are more culturally/historically important to the white supremacist groups.

This is just my theory. I'm probably wrong.

BTW my northern USA grandad grew up with a loaded (he always believed) civil.war musket propped up in the veranda. There's issues on both sides I think.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Flinders wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

On a bit of a tangent, but I feel similar social trends are beginning to have similar effects in the UK; nothing like to the same extent (yet) but we (as a 52% nation) seem happy to blame our problems of "foreigners", we think the the solution to everything is to keep "foreigners out", we no longer want to work "with" foreigners" but want to dictate everything ourselves, etc. The extreme nutters are being fuelled in the same way (e.g. the killing of a Polish man in Harlow last year).

I feel the UK politicians who value their personal ideology more than the good of the nation are using similar methods to drive their own agenda forward.

Ian
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote: Two years ago we visited Gettysburg, where the entire battlefield is in effect one big open-air museum too - and the statues of Lee and other confeds. didn't seem out of place there. We even took photos of ourselves standing in front of Lee! Was that poor taste? Others do the same.

It's entirely appropriate in that context. It's not appropriate in front of a court house. Or a school. Or the local government offices.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:In the USA the wounds of Civil War are kept open by people who persist in perpetuating the oppression that led to the Civil War in the first place. It doesn't take the 'alt-right' marching in Charlottesville.

Most racism is more subtle, gerrymandering, closing polling places in majority black neighborhoods or requiring identification from voters, funding schools from property taxes, so that poor neighborhoods and towns cannot get as much funding for their schools as wealthy ones. The prison system is modern slavery, filled with 'criminals' who are mostly minorities, kept in horrid conditions, and working for pennies, so that large corporations can profit. And that's before we start talking about perceptions, such as how people feel that minority neighborhoods are 'bad' or that a 9 year old black child is perceived as being more culpable than a white child of the same age.

sounds like winning the revolutionary war was not a good idea?
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I admire President Trump for pointing out that the alt-left are as bad as the alt-right.

I've seen a few demos in my time as I've lived in Manchester, London and Leeds during my adult life, though like most people I never been a participant in any of them.

In that time I've noticed that it is usually the rentacrowd left protestors who are the cause of most of the violence and unpleasantness because of the way they seek to disrupt the marches and prevent the free speech of of other people.

A couple of years ago I remember a very nasty group of alt-lefties who were seeking to prevent people going into a shop in Manchester. They were shouting all sorts of obscenities and insults at people who wanted to go the shop, and as well as this intimidation they physically blocked the entrance to the shop. The business suffered as a result before the police eventually moved them away.

We need to oppose all sorts of intolerance, and President Trump's remarks can only help with this.
PH

Post by PH »

Steve Bannon is the latest through the revolving door, largely credited as being the brains behind the whole America First message.
It'd be funny if it wasn't so terrifying.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:Steve Bannon is the latest through the revolving door, largely credited as being the brains behind the whole America First message.
It'd be funny if it wasn't so terrifying.

I think Trump's ego is so big he can't stand looking at anything that isn't a mirror :?
Terrifying is the right word IMO,his past mafia connections are bad enough but his power in his position is utterly frightening! :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden