Trump AGAIN?????????

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
meic

Re: Trump AGAIN?????????

Postby meic » 23 Oct 2017, 4:21pm

661-Pete wrote:
meic wrote:I think that they are in fact his Generals just as "our" Government is Her Majesty's Government.
Yes, but (correct me if I'm wrong), the United States Constitution begins with the words We, the People, surely? It doesn't begin with the words I, the President, does it?

Of course, the UK has no written constitution so the Queen (who has no executive powers under the unwritten Constitution) is perfectly entitled to say My Government...

He hasnt claimed that the constitution is his, has he?
Just the Generals.
Yma o Hyd

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 23 Oct 2017, 4:51pm

A summary of Trump's golfing "habit"
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-play-golf-us-president-every-four-days-regularly-more-barack-obama-a8014871.html wrote:Donald Trump has reportedly played golf on one of every four days of his presidency, prompting fresh accusations the President is taking too much time off.
Leader spends time at resort while five former Presidents raise money for hurricane victims

And a not very relevant (to UK taxpayers anyway) web site http://trumpgolfcount.com

Ian

meic

Postby meic » 23 Oct 2017, 4:56pm

I was just listening to a radio programme about stress.

How it is vital to take time out to relax and that doing so also improves your productivity.
Yma o Hyd

old_windbag

Postby old_windbag » 23 Oct 2017, 5:00pm

Psamathe wrote:web site http://trumpgolfcount.com

That link just takes me to a page with an image of a pear shaped man holding a selfie stick. Perhaps someone a bit narcissistic.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 23 Oct 2017, 5:13pm

old_windbag wrote:

That link just takes me to a page with an image of a pear shaped man holding a selfie stick. Perhaps someone a bit narcissistic.

It should include text saying how many golf trips Trump has made and how much they have cost the US taxpayer as well as a button to get the raw data, etc.

Ian

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 23 Oct 2017, 5:16pm

Psamathe wrote:
old_windbag wrote:

It should include text saying how many golf trips Trump has made and how much they have cost the US taxpayer as well as a button to get the raw data, etc.

Ian

:lol: whoosh parrot required...

meic

Postby meic » 23 Oct 2017, 5:18pm

I wonder how much it costs the US taxpayer for him to sleep, eat or even use the toilet.

Of course these costs are not, as represented, that the US taxpayer is dipping into their pocket just so Trump can play golf (or sleep, eat, crap) but the ongoing expenses of having a President of the US.
Yma o Hyd

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 23 Oct 2017, 5:38pm

meic wrote:I wonder how much it costs the US taxpayer for him to sleep, eat or even use the toilet.

Of course these costs are not, as represented, that the US taxpayer is dipping into their pocket just so Trump can play golf (or sleep, eat, crap) but the ongoing expenses of having a President of the US.

Woah, hold on a cotton-picking moment. You say that the USA is paying to have him? :shock:

old_windbag

Postby old_windbag » 23 Oct 2017, 6:47pm

Bonefishblues wrote: whoosh parrot required.

Well one person is on the right wavelength :lol:

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 23 Oct 2017, 9:57pm

meic wrote:I wonder how much it costs the US taxpayer for him to sleep, eat or even use the toilet.

a) I suspect that sleeping and eating and using the toilet are accepted costs.
b) I think the costs are related to the additional security needed to cover his visits to the various places he plays golf. Travel, rooms when they get there (yes, apparently the Gov. has to pay the establishment (normally a Trump establishment!) for rooms used by security, etc.), additional staff (e.g. in the White House he has standard security staff whose offices, etc. incur no extra costs and the White House still needs guarding when Trump is off playing golf. But when he's off at one of his golf places they have to set-up and check out in advance, harder to guard him so extra staff needed, etc.

I think those has become an issue for many Americans because it is happening so often (something Trump promised would not happen whist he was being so critical of Obama's golf trips (Trump is already way ahead of Obama's golf trips).

whatever American's might think of the costs, it is yet another example of his hypocrisy.

Ian

meic

Postby meic » 23 Oct 2017, 11:22pm

None of the previous Presidents locked themselves in the Whitehouse for the whole time that they were not performing official duties.
This is just more "because it is Trump we will make a fuss out of what was normal practice".

They could have just said "Trump said he would be too busy to play golf if elected but he still found time for a game a week on average."
but that wouldnt be sensational enough.

If you check the number of times he actually played golf it is 33 which is about once a week, the once every four days also includes all the times he could possibly have been suspected of playing golf, but probably hadnt done so.

Then there is the old claim that business is conducted on the golf course, which draws a parallel to all the expense he has incurred for the US taxpayer stuffing his face at those official dinners. :wink:
Yma o Hyd

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 23 Oct 2017, 11:23pm

Dodgy effer! So he's going to golf clubs owned by his company so the government has to pay for it and a load of rooms for security too. Low occupancy so he fills it up with security, staffers and hangers on to increase the profitability.

I think he should be banned from going to any of his own establishments due to conflict if interests somehow. I bet if his golf is profiting the competitors he'll soon give it up.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 24 Oct 2017, 8:57am

Tangled Metal wrote:Dodgy effer! So he's going to golf clubs owned by his company so the government has to pay for it and a load of rooms for security too. Low occupancy so he fills it up with security, staffers and hangers on to increase the profitability.

I think he should be banned from going to any of his own establishments due to conflict if interests somehow. I bet if his golf is profiting the competitors he'll soon give it up.

Tradition in the US presidency is that they do the right thing, and set their business and investment interests in a trust, managed by someone with no conflict of interest. At least it has the appearance of avoiding conflict of interest.

Trump is not a believer in tradition :roll:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 24 Oct 2017, 9:13am

Vorpal wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Dodgy effer! So he's going to golf clubs owned by his company so the government has to pay for it and a load of rooms for security too. Low occupancy so he fills it up with security, staffers and hangers on to increase the profitability.

Tradition in the US presidency is that they do the right thing, and set their business and investment interests in a trust, managed by someone with no conflict of interest. At least it has the appearance of avoiding conflict of interest.

Trump is not a believer in tradition :roll:

That would be one of those euphemisms, wouldn't it.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 24 Oct 2017, 10:37am

meic wrote:None of the previous Presidents locked themselves in the Whitehouse for the whole time that they were not performing official duties.
This is just more "because it is Trump we will make a fuss out of what was normal practice".

They could have just said "Trump said he would be too busy to play golf if elected but he still found time for a game a week on average."
but that wouldnt be sensational enough.

If you check the number of times he actually played golf it is 33 which is about once a week, the once every four days also includes all the times he could possibly have been suspected of playing golf, but probably hadnt done so.

Then there is the old claim that business is conducted on the golf course, which draws a parallel to all the expense he has incurred for the US taxpayer stuffing his face at those official dinners. :wink:

It's a question of degree. Nobody is suggesting he lock himself in the White House 24/7 (well probably people are, or lock himself out of the White House ... but that's a different story).

When Trump "plays golf" he does not knock-off work early or just have a long lunch. He flies half way across the country in a massive jet, with a substantial security team, etc., etc.

You say 33 games of golf, but visits to golf clubs are more than double that.

In Trump's 1st 3 months of office he cost the same in travel/security as Obama & Biden (combined) did in 8 years! And the total hypocrisy is that before becoming President Trump was very critical of Obama's golf and travel costs to the American people.

Just MAr-a-Lago along: 1st month in office and he spent 3 weekends there. And normally there is some record kept of who gets to see the President (lobbying concerns, etc.) but when he's at Mar-a-Lago there seem to be "no visitor records"

Ian