Appointments

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Appointments

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote:
Mick F wrote:
pete75 wrote:
It is though - they have things they must do with their time you don't.
I don't think you get it.

My time is important.
Their time is important too.
My time is more important to me, than theirs is.
They expect me to turn up on time.
I expect them to turn up on time.

I'm not talking of illness or A+E or general emergencies, but routine normal non-urgent checks. The people who do these are there solely for that task.

Your time may well be important to you but to the populous in general their time is far more important.

To the population at large 60mph is acceptable through a town. Doesn’t make it so.

Time is the one thing we cannot get more of, or spend twice.

Everybody’s time is as valuable as everyone else’s.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Mick F wrote:I don't think you get it.

My time is important.
Their time is important too.
My time is more important to me, than theirs is.
They expect me to turn up on time.
I expect them to turn up on time.

I'm not talking of illness or A+E or general emergencies, but routine normal non-urgent checks. The people who do these are there solely for that task.

Your time may well be important to you but to the populous in general their time is far more important.

To the population at large 60mph is acceptable through a town. Doesn’t make it so.

Time is the one thing we cannot get more of, or spend twice.

If you think the population at large regard 60mph through a town(I'm assuming you mean a 30 limit) as acceptable you're sadly mistaken.

Everybody’s time is as valuable as everyone else’s - I disagree. As i've said in another thread I'm about to be made redundant - might even call it retirement. The value of my time to the nation will then be negative. I will be drawing on economic resources but doing nothing to justify my use of them.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

As I said earlier - the economic value might not be as high, but the value of everyone’s time is equal.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:As I said earlier - the economic value might not be as high, but the value of everyone’s time is equal.

If the value is lower then it is not of equal value is it?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote:As I said earlier - the economic value might not be as high, but the value of everyone’s time is equal.

There are many aspects to "value" e.g. economic value, emotional value, value to individual, value to other individuals, value to society, etc., etc.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote:

If your only value is economic then you are valuing things badly
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote:If your only value is economic then you are valuing things badly
Spot on.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Time gains economic value from what is done with that time. It's that activity that is valuable.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No - economics is a rubbish measure of value.

Human time has immeasurable value cf+ mere economics
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

pete75 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Time gains economic value from what is done with that time. It's that activity that is valuable.

"Knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"
pete75

Post by pete75 »

AlaninWales wrote:
pete75 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

Tell me this then who's time is the most valuable - someone on the dole who spends his time watching TV or a nurse in an overstretched A&E doing her damndest to patch people up. If you think their time has the same value then it's you knows teh value of nothing.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Value.

ORIGIN
Middle English: from Old French, feminine past participle of valoir ‘be worth’, from Latin valere.

noun
The regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something
Mick F. Cornwall
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

pete75 wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Tell me this then who's time is the most valuable - someone on the dole who spends his time watching TV or a nurse in an overstretched A&E doing her damndest to patch people up. If you think their time has the same value then it's you knows teh value of nothing.

Each has the value that they put on it.

And since Mick F was quite specific that he was NOT talking about A&E (several times), your obtuseness in bringing that up again as an example appears to me to deliberate: Trying to get a wind up here are you?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

AlaninWales wrote:
pete75 wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:"Knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"

Each has the value that they put on it.

And since Mick F was quite specific that he was NOT talking about A&E (several times), your obtuseness in bringing that up again as an example appears to me to deliberate: Trying to get a wind up here are you?

No - are you?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

They are equally valuable.

Time is the only commodity we cannot acquire more of, we can only choose how to spend what we have, and we all have the same 168 hours a week.