Hung Parliament means Hung Parliament - the Hung Parliament thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Hung Parliament means Hung Parliament - the Hung Parliament thread

Post by 661-Pete »

Well well! I never imagined it'd be Yours Truly invoking a new thread of a political flavour!

But it has to be said. "The People have Spoken". Their opinion must be respected for ever and ever more. No need for a re-run - ever!

Sensible, and not-so-sensible, comments: all welcome. The fun starts here!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
blackbike

Re: Hung Parliament means Hung Parliament - the Hung Parliament thread

Post by blackbike »

Thank goodness Labour members elected the loser Mr Corbyn as their leader.

A more mainstream leader with broader appeal would have probably won the election for Labour.

Corbyn has reduced the Labour Party to celebrating defeat as if it was a victory.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Does a hung parliament mean?

a. The most extreme policies of the largest party now have to be moderated
b. Nothing gets done as no agreement can be reached across all parties
c. After both of the above do we have another election
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thank goodness Labour members elected the loser Mr Corbyn as their leader.

A more mainstream leader with broader appeal would have probably won the election for Labour.

Corbyn has reduced the Labour Party to celebrating defeat as if it was a victory.

Always look on the bright side of life :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

:lol:
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

blackbike wrote:Thank goodness Labour members elected the loser Mr Corbyn as their leader.

What happened to the predicted tory landslide?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
pwa

Post by pwa »

Help me out with a bit of maths. We are told that the magic figure for a government that does not need the support of other parties is 326, and the Tories look set to get 319. So 7 short. But Sinn Fein do not turn up. And they have 7 seats. So in practice does that bring the target down to 319?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

blackbike wrote:Thank goodness Labour members elected the loser Mr Corbyn as their leader.

I think you should be thanking the Scots who thought they were voting in an independence referendum. The Scot Tories never once mentioned it was a General Election. Take the Scot Tories off the total and what are you left with. :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

Also, in fairness, well done JC for fighting a good campaign in a decent way and, I think, winning over some people who are tired of abrasive politicians.
meic

Post by meic »

You are forgetting how well the Labour party was doing when he inherited it.

and as for looking on the bright side
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=99488&p=936108&hilit=Corbyn#p936108

apart from that the Tories did still win and with a good proportion of the vote, the overall trend towards the right still rumbles on, at least until this generation have died off.
Yma o Hyd
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

meic wrote:

You are forgetting how well the Labour party was doing when he inherited it.

and as for looking on the bright side
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=99488&p=936108&hilit=Corbyn#p936108

apart from that the Tories did still win and with a good proportion of the vote, the overall trend towards the right still rumbles on, at least until this generation have died off.

ANYTHING could happen in the next two weeks. No one knows who, or how, or even if a new government will be formed (the possibility of a second election, if neither party gets a vote of confidence is very real).

So let's not count our fowl just yet...
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I think May felt she was forced into calling a GE - she was working to Cameron's manifesto and had the SNP breathing down her neck (remember how politically charged Sturgeon was making Scotland/Brexit/IndyRef2).

May ran a bad campaign and Corbyn has done well, but oddly the Scotland/Brexit/IndyRef2 issue has been resolved, with 24 seats now going to Unionist parties the SNP cannot now make the case that Scotland needs to be treated differently to the rest of the UK. The SNP got 36% of the vote compared to their highwater mark of 50% in 2015, they can't do moral outrage any more.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

By the way does anyone in Scotland (or just anyone) know what happened to the two SNP MPs who had the whip withdrawn in the last parliament? Did they run again for the SNP or were different candidates put up? And did they or their replacements win this time?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Let's talk practicalities. The difficult woman can theoretically limp on division by division. Loads of media interest in every move in Parliament. Some will remember the last months of Callaghan's govt, MP's on life support being wheeled through the lobby, problems with "pairing" less dramatic but very inconvenient for the foot soldier lobby fodder, and all the rest of it. A lame duck struggling on from crisis to crisis. This is all in the context of the biggy: Brexit. Her own party hasn't decided a form of Brexit they can agree on. A combination of Kaa and Sinatra is no longer feasible.

(To save later explanations, I'm talking about a signature tune mixing "Trust in me" and "My way.")
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

francovendee wrote:Does a hung parliament mean?

a. The most extreme policies of the largest party now have to be moderated
b. Nothing gets done as no agreement can be reached across all parties
c. After both of the above do we have another election

d. Osborne I'll-be-back is smirking and planning his return as PM ( god help us )
meic

Post by meic »

Well, she is now on her way to the Queen to request her post as Prime Minister.
Yma o Hyd