Hung Parliament means Hung Parliament - the Hung Parliament thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
landsurfer

Re: Hung Parliament means Hung Parliament - the Hung Parliament thread

Postby landsurfer » 10 Jun 2017, 7:05pm

Oh dear...
You don't understand do you ..
Your letting Ulster Politics insert itself in to UK / GB politics ....

To quote a certain Scots Undertaker ...... "We're doomed , we're doomed".
Be More Mike.
The Road Goes On Forever

meic

Postby meic » 10 Jun 2017, 7:13pm

I have no control over it.
However the entire social care bill and after that NHS argument and education argument was letting English politics into UK/GB politics.

Is NI a part of the UK with a right to representation or not?

Sinn Fein say not, DUP have always said Yes. As did most of the UK until this sudden need to deny the Conservatives a coalition arrived.
Yma o Hyd

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 10 Jun 2017, 7:25pm

Nelson Mandela has been mentioned and whatever else he did, he made considerable efforts to move on from the past without compromising his principles.
==============================================================
PS I certainly didn't refer to Sinn Fein with any intention of derailing TM. It's been suggested that Republicans might be unhappy at this aspect of first-past-the-post giving disproportionate influence to the DUP and unless they decide to resort to violence, there are few options.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 10 Jun 2017, 7:27pm

Northern Ireland .....Free prespricions, free university education, free Grammar schools ..... ....WHY !!!!!!
We "English tax" payers are paying for this !!
Be More Mike.
The Road Goes On Forever

meic

Postby meic » 10 Jun 2017, 7:35pm

I think that Sinn Fein are well and truly used to the situation and it is others who are getting worked up and trying to stop the coalition in the name of balance for Sinn Fein. An issue which Sinn Fein itself has lived with for the past century.

Gerry Adams seems to remain far more interested in the problems on his side of the water than ours.
Yma o Hyd

meic

Postby meic » 10 Jun 2017, 7:37pm

landsurfer wrote:Northern Ireland .....Free prespricions, free university education, free Grammar schools ..... ....WHY !!!!!!

Not just Northern Ireland. :wink:

Do you fancy sending a donation to Sinn Fein, SNP and Plaid Cymru so that you help to be free of us all. 8)
Yma o Hyd

mjr

Postby mjr » 10 Jun 2017, 8:41pm

All that needs to happen for Sinn Fein to take their seats is replacement of the oath/affirmation to the Queen to be replaced by an oath/affirmation to one's constituents... which of course isn't going to happen any time soon.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Mistik-ka

Postby Mistik-ka » 10 Jun 2017, 9:04pm

In Canada we've had nine hung parliaments (or "minority governments" as they are designated on this side of the pond) in the past sixty years. Generally they've lasted about a year and a half; the longest I recall was something like two and a half. Some of them have governed well — better than some majority governments which have had sweeping landslide victories that gave them the opportunity to get the bit between their teeth and do some real damage before they're turfed out. It's not necessarily a bad thing for the prime minister's inner circle to have to stay in touch with public opinion and work hard to find compromises that all parties consider acceptable. You know how sweet some politicians can be to the voters when they're on the campaign trail? (Note that I said some politicians :wink: ) A minority government has to think about the voters consistently until the next election.

As for wanting a "strong" government to negotiate Brexit with the EU, do you want the process to be adversarial, or an attempt by everyone to reach an agreement which has the best outcomes for everyone. There is a big difference between 'negotiation' and 'argument'. Do you want a British delegation that specializes in sabre-rattling? (I'm not sure the British sabre is big enough to rattle very loudly, and if it did it is likely to achieve very little beyond getting the other side's back up.) There's always the equivalent of the American nuclear policy of Mutually Assured Destruction, I suppose … :?

Domestically and in foreign affairs a hung parliament may have more to gain from reasonableness and compromise than from bellowing and bullying.

May God bless your ship of state and all who sail in her.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 10 Jun 2017, 9:22pm

meic wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Northern Ireland .....Free prespricions, free university education, free Grammar schools ..... ....WHY !!!!!!

Not just Northern Ireland. :wink:

Do you fancy sending a donation to Sinn Fein, SNP and Plaid Cymru so that you help to be free of us all. 8)

After you Sir, after you ..... :)
Be More Mike.
The Road Goes On Forever

Tinnishill

Postby Tinnishill » 10 Jun 2017, 9:25pm

Northern Ireland .....Free prespricions, free university education, free Grammar schools ..... ....WHY !!!!!!

We have just had a UK election. Another one will be along shortly. Persuade everyone you know to vote for parties (any party) which will prioritise the interests of those on less than £100,000 a year over those on more than £100,000 per year and then you can have the stuff that you are jealous of.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 10 Jun 2017, 9:27pm

mjr wrote:All that needs to happen for Sinn Fein to take their seats is replacement of the oath/affirmation to the Queen to be replaced by an oath/affirmation to one's constituents... which of course isn't going to happen any time soon.

I took my oath of allegiance to Her majesty the Queen and the Lawfully Elected Government of Great Britain and Northern Ireland on the 23rd of September 1975 .....
When did you take yours .. ?
:D
Be More Mike.
The Road Goes On Forever

pete75

Postby pete75 » 10 Jun 2017, 9:39pm

Grammar schools are free in Lincolnshire which is in England.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 10 Jun 2017, 9:46pm

landsurfer wrote:Oh dear...
You don't understand do you ..
Your letting Ulster Politics insert itself in to UK / GB politics ....

It's Mrs May who's letting that happen.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 10 Jun 2017, 9:47pm

Are you forgetting there are tax payers in Wales, Scotland, and NI.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 Jun 2017, 11:58pm

thirdcrank wrote:Nelson Mandela has been mentioned and whatever else he did, he made considerable efforts to move on from the past without compromising his principles........

I would've thought the same of Sinn Fein
-----------------------------------------------------------