Tower Block Disaster - Grenfell

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: Tower Block Disaster

Post by pwa »

softlips wrote:
Flinders wrote:Check out what the rich pay in council tax in that borough, and compare it with yours. A band D house round here, probably worth about 200-250 grand (unfashionable part of the Midlands, not at all wealthy) pays circa £1,640, which is about the same as the largest property in the Kensington and Chelsea pays- properties that would be worth many millions, and which pay circa £1,700. The equivalent top band round here, in contrast, is over £3,000 a year. Something seriously wrong there.

If you look at council tax prices it seems Labour led councils charge more than Conservative led ones. Interestingly though Labour led ones have more cash reserves than Conservative ones.

Comparing areas that tend to vote Labour with those that tend to vote Conservative is not comparing like with like. Conservative led councils tend to be in charge of areas with low levels of social deprivation, where the punters make lower demands on services.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

softlips wrote:
If you look at council tax prices it seems Labour led councils charge more than Conservative led ones. Interestingly though Labour led ones have more cash reserves than Conservative ones.

This week we learned a lot about Tory priorities. The situation is a little complicated, but allow me to sum it up: if you’re not a Tory, you’re not a priority.

While the communities and local government secretary, Greg Clark, hands out cash to save his Conservative pals from embarrassment, our care system is in crisis. This year, for the first time, councils will have to add a 2% adult social care precept to council tax bills. The Osborne tax, you might call it.

In the commons, Clark told us that despite austerity there is “generosity” to be found in the Treasury. So much so that the chancellor could find at least £300m as soon as Tory politicians, and their relatives, started to complain about the impact of Tory cuts on local services. Labour analysis suggests 83% of that money will go to Tory councils. That is incredible political bias from a government that seems determined to prove its arrogance. Yes, the government is right to find new money to help councils, but it is absurd to think only Tory councils need help.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/11/300-million-tory-councils-favouritism-cuts-government-adult-social-care
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
softlips wrote:
Flinders wrote:Check out what the rich pay in council tax in that borough, and compare it with yours. A band D house round here, probably worth about 200-250 grand (unfashionable part of the Midlands, not at all wealthy) pays circa £1,640, which is about the same as the largest property in the Kensington and Chelsea pays- properties that would be worth many millions, and which pay circa £1,700. The equivalent top band round here, in contrast, is over £3,000 a year. Something seriously wrong there.

Comparing areas that tend to vote Labour with those that tend to vote Conservative is not comparing like with like. Conservative led councils tend to be in charge of areas with low levels of social deprivation, where the punters make lower demands on services.

It may also be that property prices are higher in the Tory areas so a much greater proportion are in bands F, G and H. Comparisons are usually made on the Band D charge - a truer comparison would be the average tax take per property.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Wonderful Tories :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Anyone watching QT tonight will have seen the way the Tory government is side stepping and trying to slither out of the cause of this tragedy,Dominic Creep was sickening in his slimeball answers.
12months down the line and nothing happens but politrickians trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities and people still in temporary housing.
It stinks,why am I not surprised?
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:Anyone watching QT tonight will have seen the way the Tory government is side stepping and trying to slither out of the cause of this tragedy,Dominic Creep was sickening in his slimeball answers.
12months down the line and nothing happens but politrickians trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities and people still in temporary housing.

But how could any council suddenly summon up that amount of new housing? That must be a nightmare problem for whoever has to organise it. I was talking to a lady with a disability a couple of weeks ago. She lives in a first floor flat, with no lift, in the Rhondda, and when she leaves the building she has to then climb about 15 more steps to get to a waiting taxi. She is on crutches and struggles just to get about her flat. She has been on a waiting list for a ground floor flat for two years and doesn't expect the wait to end soon. I don't blame the (Rhondda) council, they just don't have the resources.
Last edited by pwa on 18 May 2018, 9:48am, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Anyone watching QT tonight will have seen the way the Tory government is side stepping and trying to slither out of the cause of this tragedy,Dominic Creep was sickening in his slimeball answers.

But how could any council suddenly summon up that amount of new housing? That must be a nightmare problem for whoever has to organise it.....

I didn't see Question Time but from right back to the disaster it did strike me that re-housing is a massive disaster. Particularly as many of those needing re-housing wanted to stay in the same area and with many additional constraints.

And whilst those impacted by the tragedy clearly need help and support, I suspect that many of those who've been on waiting lists for years in neighbouring areas are also in desperate need and for them to see their area available housing depleted and their own housing prospects drift further and further away.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:

But how could any council suddenly summon up that amount of new housing? That must be a nightmare problem for whoever has to organise it. I was talking to a lady with a disability a couple of weeks ago. She lives in a first floor flat, with no lift, in the Rhondda, and when she leaves the building she has to then climb about 15 more steps to get to a waiting taxi. She is on crutches and struggles just to get about her flat. She has been on a waiting list for a ground floor flat for two years and doesn't expect the wait to end soon. I don't blame the (Rhondda) council, they just don't have the resources.

You're describing to me a governmental failure on a huge scale.
The need for more social and affordable housing under this government which,after nearly a decade in office,has failed to even make a dent in.
Instead of working the country's way out of recession caused by previous similar governmental thinking started by the Thatcher government before it.This one decided to sit tight and cut costs by sweeping austerity measures,we are now reaping the whirlwind of such bad governmental decisions and incompetence,though the rich didn't notice it as it was them who got the most cuts in taxes and the cheap labour market to boot.
W H Auden
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

The need for more social and affordable housing under this government which,after nearly a decade in office,has failed to even make a dent in.
Instead of working the country's way out of recession caused by previous similar governmental thinking started by the Thatcher government before it.This one decided to sit tight and cut costs by sweeping austerity measures,we are now reaping the whirlwind of such bad governmental decisions and incompetence,though the rich didn't notice it as it was them who got the most cuts in taxes and the cheap labour market to boot.

Are you suggesting the cuts in police budgets have not had an impact on the rich?Moreover many rich people,such as Phillip Green pay no tax,and hence benefitted little from the cuts.Your tendency to generalise rather undermines your case,and lends itself to easy ridicule,
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gnvqsos wrote:

Are you suggesting the cuts in police budgets have not had an impact on the rich?Moreover many rich people,such as Phillip Green pay no tax,and hence benefitted little from the cuts.Your tendency to generalise rather undermines your case,and lends itself to easy ridicule,

Yes I can appreciate your view point,though don't necessarily agree with it :) :wink: :mrgreen:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Listening to the report earlier I reckon Celotex is in some serious trouble - perhaps not legally, but reputationally and therefore commercially this is turd in a jacuzzi stuff.

OTOH I heard the much derided ex Judge dealing with victims' families with great kindness and sensitivity.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If someone's not jailed for this lot justice doesn't exist in the UK
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Let's see. It's still a fair step to criminal culpability I think.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The ban on cladding is good, https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... far-enough
but doesn't do enough to address flammable cladding on existing buildings
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ace-action

The inquiry, however, seems to be making reasonable progress, even if it quite distressful for survivors
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ble-truths
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom