Why is it always an Audi

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mnichols

Re: Why is it always an Audi

Post by mnichols »

pete75 wrote:
mnichols wrote:
old_windbag wrote: Putting that aside and considering the choices people do make when spending big money on cars, its sad to see so much money leaving the UK and being invested in Germany :).

I drive a Jag

So it's being invested in India then. :lol:

Yes, but interestingly they still seem to make a deal about being a British brand. They seem to want to keep that very quiet, you won't see it in any of the marketing
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mnichols wrote:The thing that has really surprised me about buying a car that is perceived as expensive, prestige or a status symbol is the vitriol that it has brought

For me, it had no more emotional resonance than buying a washing machine or a fridge. I'm not really a car person. The garage that serviced my previous car advised me that as I'd had it for 7 years and it had 100,000 miles on the clock it was time to get another one, so I went to a garage and bought one...

Advised you it was time for a new one, you followed his advice, how much commission did he get?

It would have made much more sense to keep the old car for many more years, manufacturing a new car uses a lot of resources and there are already far too many vehicles. It would be great if many fewer new vehicles were sold, the old ones could be repaired instead
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
mnichols wrote:The thing that has really surprised me about buying a car that is perceived as expensive, prestige or a status symbol is the vitriol that it has brought

For me, it had no more emotional resonance than buying a washing machine or a fridge. I'm not really a car person. The garage that serviced my previous car advised me that as I'd had it for 7 years and it had 100,000 miles on the clock it was time to get another one, so I went to a garage and bought one...

Advised you it was time for a new one, you followed his advice, how much commission did he get?

It would have made much more sense to keep the old car for many more years, manufacturing a new car uses a lot of resources and there are already far too many vehicles. It would be great if many fewer new vehicles were sold, the old ones could be repaired instead

He didn't make any commission, the garage that serviced my car don't sell cars they only repair them. He lost a long term customer as he had been looking after my car for many years, but as I bought new it comes with a warranty

Cars don't last forever, they become uneconomically viable and are replaced by better technology, or are you still driving the first car that you ever bought?
meic

Post by meic »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
JohnW wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
My scientific investigations continue: driving home last week I was gliding up to a junction where one usually has to wait. Two vehicles (neither an audi!) overtook me to reach the stop light a few seconds earlier. I noted that both carried the christian fish symbol, 100%, if that is not stastically significant? Why is it so often a christian? Do they want to get to heaven earlier?

The 'fish' symbol - the 'Icthius' - was a secret sign used by Christians in the early years of Christianity during times of persecution to help them recognise each other.

The recent popularity of the 'Icthius' badges/symbols currently popularity applied to cars relate to Darwinism - i.e. the belief in evolution of species rather than creation as a one-off single event. You'll probably see two little feet projecting from under the belly of the fish.

These badges do not necessarily denote a Christian owner or driver, in fact the behaviour that you find objectionable (as I would) is not Christian. Clearly some people despise Audi drivers, and you despise Christians; however, your conclusion in this matter is irrational.

The four vehicles that have hit me down the years have been a Volvo estate, two Vauxhalls and a VW. Currently my own personal observation and experience is that large, expensive 4wd vehicles and white vans (Transit type) are the most dangerously and selfishly driven - but there's good and bad in them all.

No no I do not despise Christians! I was in church myself a few days ago

So the fish symbol is used by two groups with very different beliefs/opinions? I find that surprising

I do despise the vast majority of motons who generally ignore the law :(

I noticed my first one of these yesterday, the fish had two feet and the word Darwin written in it.
http://www.darwinfish.co.uk/darwinfish.html
Yma o Hyd
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

JohnW wrote:

The four vehicles that have hit me down the years have been a Volvo estate, two Vauxhalls and a VW. Currently my own personal observation and experience is that large, expensive 4wd vehicles and white vans (Transit type) are the most dangerously and selfishly driven - but there's good and bad in them all.

I haven't driven for 30+ years but in my 10 years of cycling in Manchester the most likely vehicle to cut me up was a taxi drivers. IE it is drivers who drive badly not vehicles!! In Lincolnshire on the odd occasion I am on A roads it is Lorry drivers who put life at risk. On back roads the people who get closes to you and give you no warning are.....cyclists on racing bikes.
I have only been hit once and that was by young motorcyclist. No doubt just a mistake. He had to do a course, hopefully in avoiding cyclist. No doubt my eventual compensation will make me very very happy. Very!!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mnichols wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

He didn't make any commission, the garage that serviced my car don't sell cars they only repair them. He lost a long term customer as he had been looking after my car for many years, but as I bought new it comes with a warranty

Cars don't last forever, they become uneconomically viable and are replaced by better technology, or are you still driving the first car that you ever bought?

They last for much longer than 7 years. By buying a new vehicle one causes more resources to be used, it would be better to keep it for as long as possible instead of helping to increase the number of vehicles by buying new. In many ways vehicles are not getting better, just read about a new volvo that starts at 1900 kg. More than double the weight of a 1984 vw I once had (also with 4/5 seats). The only way vehicles may be getting better is in crash survivability, this would not be important if the police took enforcement seriously

My first vehicle was written off in an *accident*, later I was very lucky, able to do without a vehicle for many years. Bought a new used one again last year, from 1996. Unfortunately it has unnecessary features: power steering, electric windows, central locking. Not an audi, fortunately
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Boyd wrote:... it is drivers who drive badly not vehicles

You are Chief Dan Mathews and I claim my $5. :wink:

At 1.05 seconds in this clip:-

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=br ... ORM=VRDGAR
It isn't the car that kills, it's the driver.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

why is it always an audi

because BMW drivers bought audis after they had ruined that brands image.

I have friends who loved their beemers but sold them as nobody ever let them out or gave way for them.

My brother has an audi and thinks he's the transporter the way he drives. oh ex bmw driver too.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Why is it so often a Dacia?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Noticed several bad manouvers by Dacia drivers, at least three times lately

Their vehicles are at the other end of the price scale from audis

Any specualtion as to why it is so often a Dacia?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Today it was a PoB!

I was cycling past some parked vehicles outside the door zone, a PoB overtook me on the i n s i d e (in the the door zone), there was room enough to overtake on the outside

I am still wondering if I should have tried to *educate* her but I don't know what words might have worked, any suggestions?
Diolch i bawb
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

True story from the local paper a while ago

Two lads were ready to drive home after a night out. 'Hey, can I have a go in your cool sports car?' said the opel driver
'Sure, lets swap keys' said the audi driver

The audi shot off in the wrong direction, the driver had neglected to engage reverse gear, it landed in the water, the driver swam to safety, the vehicle was severely damaged, +1

Reminds me of a funny song about Starship Enterprise
.. we come in peace, shoot to kill..
.. only going forward, cos we can't find reverse..
.. there's klingons [barnacles] on the starboard bow..
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Don't know whether to laugh or cry
The audi factory is so busy, thousands of people drive there to work
Now a station is being built so a few of them can upgrade to train travel. And make a bit more room on the roads for delivery vehicles :(
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

meic wrote:
...I think I'll walk up with the dog

Well that is you totally condemned in my book! Audis dont bark all night or leave their poo everywhere.
There is just no pleasing everybody.

This morning I was passed by a cluster of cars on the same stretch of road. They were all driven courteously, but it was uphill so I got to smell more than usual of their waste, which I couldn't avoid as it was being spread everywhere. If Audis don't do that then I wish all drivers had Audis! :lol:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The CEO (or rather ex - CEO, he has been granted holiday :wink: ) of audi has been taken into custody, he is in prison in Augsburg. Another audi manager is in custody too, since September, but in Muenchen, so they cannae talk to each other
44 000 employees at the audi factory are pale with shock
Local politrickians are speechless
Source: nd

I had a dream after reading this, that all audi drivers were locked up. But there would not be enough prisons to keep them separate :?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Do Audi drivers (and Beemers of course) deserve to be stigmatised?

No apologies for commenting, the first point I took note of in reading through this nasty item of news, was that the offender was driving an Audi.

Had he been behind the wheel of any less-stigmatised make - a Nissan, say, or a Citroen - it would hardly have invited remark. But an Audi....! Incidentally, in the video the driver shouts that "it's stolen" - believe that if you will!

Yesterday, in my car, I was fairly aggressively tailgated for a few miles by - yes! - an Audi. I'm sorry to say, the first thing I noticed about this car behind me was the distinctive 'four rings' logo. So perhaps I'm as guilty of stigmatising as anyone. The driver made no attempt to overtake; I was starting to worry when the situation resolved itself by him turning off. Could have been worse.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).