Why is it always an Audi

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: Why is it always an Audi

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:Do Audi drivers (and Beemers of course) deserve to be stigmatised?

No apologies for commenting, the first point I took note of in reading through this nasty item of news, was that the offender was driving an Audi.

Had he been behind the wheel of any less-stigmatised make - a Nissan, say, or a Citroen - it would hardly have invited remark. But an Audi....! Incidentally, in the video the driver shouts that "it's stolen" - believe that if you will!

Yesterday, in my car, I was fairly aggressively tailgated for a few miles by - yes! - an Audi. I'm sorry to say, the first thing I noticed about this car behind me was the distinctive 'four rings' logo. So perhaps I'm as guilty of stigmatising as anyone. The driver made no attempt to overtake; I was starting to worry when the situation resolved itself by him turning off. Could have been worse.

... and the victims were "cyclists". My reading was that it was simply information as to the type of car that was being driven. There is no implication that the incident happened "because it was an Audi" or ""typically the behaviour of an Audi driver"

Interestingly it depends on the question that is asked. In 2017 drivers were asked about driving habits and scored on the replies:

According to the new study, Jaguar drivers are the worst in Britain after admitting to several bad habits included, speeding, talking on their phones whilst driving speeding and not wearing seat belts.

Of the Jaguar drivers questioned, 85 per cent of them admitted to speeding, 71 per cent said they regularly failed to indicate and 50 per cent confessed to jumping traffic lights.

The survey of British motorists revealed that Skoda, Volvo and Nissan drivers are amongst the most responsible on UK roads

However, drivers of these cars were also the most likely to use their phone whilst driving with nine out of ten Skoda owners confessing to the offence.

BMW drivers are the second most-likely to speed whilst driving and also come out on top for traffic offences such as throwing litter from the window or hogging the middle lane of the motorway.

Mitsubishi, Mini and Seat drivers followed Jaguar and BMW as the worst drivers in the UK.

Other research looked at speeding and the amount of driving time over the limits:

Audi – 8.7%
BMW 8.3%
Jaguar – 8%
Land Rover – 7.8%
Mercedes – 7.7%

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyl ... -speeding/
Cyril Haearn

Re: Why is it always a jaguar

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Who knows whether they were lying? :wink:

I think other ways of classifying drivers might be tried:
Age of vehicle
Age of driver
Colour of vehicle
Company vehicle or private

Gender of driver? :?
&c &c

Remember too audis are really the same as vw/seat/soda, the price is the only difference as far as I know (alternative facts welcome)
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 11 Aug 2018, 11:21am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Who knows whether they were lying? :wink:

I think other ways of classifying drivers might be tried:
Age of vehicle
Age of driver
Colour of vehicle
Company vehicle or private

Gender of driver? :?
&c &c

Remember too audis are really the same as vw/seat/soda, the price is the only difference as far as I know (alternative facts welcome)

In other words.....

Interestingly it depends on the question that is asked

Something that was made clear

Interestingly there is also evidence that more expensive cars are more likely be driven inconsiderately, with higher levels of narcissism and arrogance being key factors
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

My concern is that they were telling the truth, honestly openly freely admitting to committing crimes

Cognitive dissonance, holding conflicting beliefs ("why, I often believe six impossible things before breakfast")
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Surely a driver wouldn't be lying when boasting about infractions they have committed?

Colour of vehicle
For several years I owned a red car. That probably stigmatised me right from the off. I remember that my late father-in-law took grave exception to my driving a red car - he never said as much to me direct, but commented on it to Mrs P.

My present car is black. That's probably just as bad. To me, the more disturbing aspect of this car is that it's diesel - but I'm stuck with that for the moment.

What's the best colour to choose when it does come to buying my next car?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:
Surely a driver wouldn't be lying when boasting about infractions they have committed?

Colour of vehicle
For several years I owned a red car. That probably stigmatised me right from the off. I remember that my late father-in-law took grave exception to my driving a red car - he never said as much to me direct, but commented on it to Mrs P.

My present car is black. That's probably just as bad. To me, the more disturbing aspect of this car is that it's diesel - but I'm stuck with that for the moment.

... Oh dear

There have been various studies over the years into the correlation between car colour and accident rates, and black cars almost always top the car crash index.

One study concluded that black cars are 47% more likely to be involved in road accidents than vehicles of other colours.

White, gold, and yellow are deemed to be the safest. It’s not an exact science, but research using police data of more than 850,000 accidents over 20 years suggests that some shades are more visible on the road than others.

Black vehicles, for example, are harder to see as they do not always stand out against the road or background scenery.

During daylight hours, black cars were up to 12% more likely be involved in crashes than white vehicles.

At dawn and dusk when the light is poor, the figure rose to 47%. The visibility of grey, silver, red and blue cars can also be poor.

A study in New Zealand also looked at the link between car colour and accident rates.

It too concluded that black cars were the most accident prone. But it found that silver was the safest colour – contradicting the other research.

The results could be influenced by the type of motorist who chooses silver as the colour is favoured by drivers over the age of 55, who are statistically among the safest on the road.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

661-Pete wrote:

Colour of vehicle

We had a red one, no cohice because it was 2nd hand. I found that other traffic gave me significantly more space than I had with the previous white one, and were less likely to jump out in front of me so I had to brake. Then we got a black one, same reason, no choice. People drive far closer to it and take far more chances pulling out on front, etc. than with the red or the white one even when visibility can't possibly be an issue. Worse, when I overtake lorries they tend to drift sideways towards it. Never had that on any other car. I like the colour, but would not want another black one. I'd have red if possible.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Flinders wrote:We had a red one, no cohice because it was 2nd hand. I found that other traffic gave me significantly more space than I had with the previous white one, and were less likely to jump out in front of me so I had to brake. Then we got a black one, same reason, no choice. People drive far closer to it and take far more chances pulling out on front, etc. than with the red or the white one even when visibility can't possibly be an issue. Worse, when I overtake lorries they tend to drift sideways towards it. Never had that on any other car. I like the colour, but would not want another black one. I'd have red if possible.

Was it just the colour or the make and model of car?
Mrs R2 had a red Micra that we both agreed drivers attempted to bully us when driving it,by contrast driving my white Mondeo estate the difference was night and day,I never got bullied in that car.
I currently have a dark blue C max which attracts bullies in mainly black BMW 3 series or grey coloured Audi's .Usually 10years or older driven by idiots who think if they tailgate me in the outside lane of a motorway whilst I'm overtaking traffic in the left-hand lane,somehow my car will disappear from in front of them :evil: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

audi has been ordered to pay a penalty of €800 000 000 for falsifying emission figures

eight hundred million
seems a lot :?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:audi has been ordered to pay a penalty of €800 000 000 for falsifying emission figures

eight hundred million
seems a lot :?

Over 50 years, at a discount of 99% for agreeing to pay it .... because their Germans .... it's an EU thing...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just got a new motor with voice recognition, it kept asking if I had a wish
-Yes, please tell me some jokes! I said
-Request invalid! Request invalid! It screamed
Should have realised, it was a German vehicle :wink:
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

You should have waited until next year and treated yourself to a car built in Wales!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

philvantwo wrote:You should have waited until next year and treated yourself to a car built in Wales!

'Built', do you mean 'assembled'? :wink:
What make of car might that be?
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I won first prize in a sarcasm competition once, a fortnight in Japan!
Anyway Aston Martin have built a new plant in St.Athan, opens next year. I spent 2 months working on it, but why do they call everybody 'boyo' in Wales??
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Positive thread alert, Plus One

Workers at the a**i motor plant in Hungary are striking, could soon be fewer a**s out there :D