Why is it always an Audi

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Why is it always an Audi

Post by pete75 »

JohnW wrote:The four vehicles that have hit me down the years have been a Volvo estate, two Vauxhalls and a VW.

Going by that it's cars with names beginning with V that are the most badly driven. :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

pete75 wrote:
JohnW wrote:The four vehicles that have hit me down the years have been a Volvo estate, two Vauxhalls and a VW.

Going by that it's cars with names beginning with V that are the most badly driven. :wink:

Do you know - I'd never noticed that - how strange. :lol: :lol: :lol:
meic

Post by meic »

There is a difference between dangerous and inconsiderate.
There are plenty of safe but inconsiderate things that you can do in a car.
Performance orientated cars may well attract that sort of driver.

So a Volvo estate pulls out on you without looking and has a crash but an Audi overtakes and cuts back in on you stealing your safety space and making you brake but you do brake and nobody gets hurt.
Yma o Hyd
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

meic wrote:...............So a Volvo estate pulls out on you without looking and has a crash but an Audi overtakes and cuts back in on you stealing your safety space and making you brake but you do brake and nobody gets hurt.

The Volvo ran into the back of me. The driver of the car behind him was amazed!

You're absolutely right of course meic - but do you think Audis are more dangerous? I believe that the mentality of the driver is more relevant than the make of car - which probably explains the opinion I've formed from experience.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

JohnW wrote:but do you think Audis are more dangerous? I believe that the mentality of the driver is more relevant than the make of car

I think that because cars tend to be fashion accessories/status symbols to many, then the standard of driving and behaviour we see may well simply reflect that. I feel the fashionable status cars to have tend to be german at present. The sort of personalities amongst humans that crave having the latest fashion item to demonstrate their success/status will be driven to buy one. Often those driven personalities may not be the most pleasant of drivers. Not many people actually buy cars using a tick list of practicality, tech specs, need, and cost. I think thats reflected in the many bloated SUV style cars we see on the roads. I spent quite a lot of time in several garages during last year and the amount of people who came in saw a must have SUV/crossover and then enquired "how much would we pay per month for this"...... pcp, no technical discussions, just test drive and sign here.

I'm sure there'll be other cars that we may associate with courteous driving or never speeding. To myself the Audi is unfortunately the standout aggressively/badly driven car at present, and thats not from bias but observation. Audi's alone aren't bad cars( except the Q's :wink: ).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

JohnW wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Audi...... for when your driving is too bad for BMW

My scientific investigations continue: driving home last week I was gliding up to a junction where one usually has to wait. Two vehicles (neither an audi!) overtook me to reach the stop light a few seconds earlier. I noted that both carried the christian fish symbol, 100%, if that is not stastically significant? Why is it so often a christian? Do they want to get to heaven earlier?

The 'fish' symbol - the 'Icthius' - was a secret sign used by Christians in the early years of Christianity during times of persecution to help them recognise each other.

The recent popularity of the 'Icthius' badges/symbols currently popularity applied to cars relate to Darwinism - i.e. the belief in evolution of species rather than creation as a one-off single event. You'll probably see two little feet projecting from under the belly of the fish.

These badges do not necessarily denote a Christian owner or driver, in fact the behaviour that you find objectionable (as I would) is not Christian. Clearly some people despise Audi drivers, and you despise Christians; however, your conclusion in this matter is irrational.

The four vehicles that have hit me down the years have been a Volvo estate, two Vauxhalls and a VW. Currently my own personal observation and experience is that large, expensive 4wd vehicles and white vans (Transit type) are the most dangerously and selfishly driven - but there's good and bad in them all.

No no I do not despise Christians! I was in church myself a few days ago

So the fish symbol is used by two groups with very different beliefs/opinions? I find that surprising

I do despise the vast majority of motons who generally ignore the law :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Paulatic wrote:Speaking of an Audi driver :D
https://www.facebook.com/dashcamnetwork ... nref=story

Priceless! That's made my morning.

You're more likely to be convicted to a motoring offence while driving an Audi than any other brand if car, so the confirmation bias some experience is not an imaginary phenomenon.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:You're more likely to be convicted to a motoring offence while driving an Audi than any other brand if car, so the confirmation bias some experience is not an imaginary phenomenon.

...implying that the police are more likely to book an Audi driver, maybe - a similar offence to "walking while black"? It used to be red cars in general.

Meanwhile, the Daily Excess had its own say, back in February:

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/car ... bad-habits

Of course, this survey relied on truthful answers, and Audi drivers might all be liars.

Disclosure: we have two Audis at present. My last traffic conviction of any kind was in 1985, in a Volkswagen.
Last edited by Audax67 on 17 Jul 2017, 1:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Lance Dopestrong wrote: ... You're more likely to be convicted to a motoring offence while driving an Audi than any other brand if car, so the confirmation bias some experience is not an imaginary phenomenon.

Is there a source for this?

Re Audax67 comment about red cars, quite some time ago, there was a story going the rounds about a form of "snooker" in which the police car was the cue ball and the idea was that drivers had to be reported for speeding etc in the order of the snooker colours, which implied that a lot of drivers of red cars would be caught. (Pink might have been a problem.) In those days I knew the chief inspector in charge of the WY Police Motorway Unit and when I asked him about it, he'd never heard of it.

(A touch of Mary Hopkin here. White patrol cars; motorway unit with a chief inspector i/c. Must have been a long time ago.)
meic

Post by meic »

The choice of car is a decision just like pulling out causing people to brake can be a decision.
There can be a correlation between the choice of vehicle and the choice of behaviour.

As a frequent hitch-hiker I soon learned that you dont get lifts in Volvos. Out of hundreds of lifts there has only been one Volvo. I did mention this to the young man who picked me up in the Volvo, he laughed and said it was his dad's car and he wouldnt be mentioning having picked up a hitch-hiker.

Though I wouldnt mind a Volvo and would still pick up hitch-hikers if I had one. :?
Yma o Hyd
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

meic wrote:As a frequent hitch-hiker I soon learned that you dont get lifts in Volvos.

You need to find out the car that is most popular with serial killers, then avoid putting thumb out to those. :wink:

Though any getting a lift won't be able to contribute to stats.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Having swapped my (red) Audi for a Jag and having had three BMWs before, then judging by this post it would seem that I must spend all my time talking on the phone, throwing litter out the window, parking in disabled spaces and cutting up cyclists....and also my behaviour changes every time I buy a new car

Incidentally, I don't do any of those things and my behaviour doesn't change with my car, but I have noticed that people's behaviour and attitudes have changed towards me when I swapped from a big BMW to a small red sports Audi and then to a Jaguar

In the big BMW I had people shout abuse at me in traffic, in the Audi people would ask "how fast do you drive it" and within the first few days of having my Jag someone run a key along the bonnet and there is a chip missing from the door which could have only been deliberate....and it's still less than a couple of months old
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Have posted that it occurs to me that if I drive to the shops in my Jag people will make one set of assumptions about me, if I take my Wife's Kia another, if I cycle on my race bike in my lycra another and if I cycle on my 'hacking about' bike in my scruffy jeans and t-shirt another....I haven't changed but there is a big range of preconceptions that people could hold depending on something as trivial as how I choose to go to the shops

...I think I'll walk up with the dog
meic

Post by meic »

...I think I'll walk up with the dog

Well that is you totally condemned in my book! Audis dont bark all night or leave their poo everywhere.
There is just no pleasing everybody.
Yma o Hyd