Why is it always an Audi

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Why is it always an Audi

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:audi is german for fast car slow driver

I believe Audi comes from Horch, the person who started the firm, Horch: hear, audio : hear
Or it could be "audax" for bravery and courage :wink:
Or it could mean: Auto Union Deutschland Industrie

Who knows, maybe all three are right. Who cares?

Soon there will be driverless cars, then Audi could use the slogan:
Three zeros on the bonnet. And a fourth at the wheel!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Or it could mean: Auto Union Deutschland Industrie

This is the one. Pre-war the auto union racing cars were phenomenal along with mercedes. They were sort of flagships in motor racing, the auto unions also employed superharging giving them a unique sound. The germans became dominant in motor racing in that era with their designs, also BMW in motorcycling.

Post war the tables turned to italy, then in the 60's we came back to dominance with the help of john cooper and colin chapman. C4 had an excellent series in 1989 covering rhe history of grand prix racing with John Watson driving many of the cars and comparing them from ERA's through Meredes, Maserati, Ferrari to the coopers and lotuses with input from stirling moss etc. A very good documentary to find for car buffs. The sound of these cars and the power outputs achieved were surprising.

Its on youtube hurrah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGZwDi9K3HE
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I believe Audi comes from Horch, the person who started the firm, Horch: hear, audio : hear
And there's me thinking it stood for Another Useless Deutsch Invention......
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I think it's what comes in the package,or how the package is perceived and projected.
We have a knife block full of sharp kitchen knives which are pretty good for their intended purpose, however should I or anyone else wish to use one for another purpose a great deal of power and or damage could be exerted on another unarmed person.
Responsibility comes with potentially dangerous and powerful equipement,it seems to me some people chose not to be as responsible as they ought to be when in charge of such equipement and it's not just Audis.
The problem IMO lies with the way people in charge of certain equipement are treated when they're caught being irresponsible with it,be irresponsible with a knife and you wind up locked up,be irresponsible with an Audi and you get 3 points and a £50 fine or the choice of a day's safety talk.
There's the matter of intent,being irresponsible around other people with a knife and it's obvious what your intent is.So what's the intent of being irresponsible around other people with a car whether it be an Audi or not?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
ChrisOntLancs wrote:audi is german for fast car slow driver

I believe Audi comes from Horch, the person who started the firm, Horch: hear, audio : hear

it definitely isn't "fast car slow driver" .. but it should be!

they're great cars, and if i was to over-compensate for any of my short comings, or if i'd just started selling a class A drug and i wanted the world to know, i'd be doing it in an audi.

even since my last post in this thread, i've got a few audism to whinge about.

bring on driverless cars i reckon. we've already got the fourth zero, it should be three on the bonnet and a series of 1s and 0s driving. binary jokes, god i'm cool.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

[list=][/list]
661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I believe Audi comes from Horch, the person who started the firm, Horch: hear, audio : hear
And there's me thinking it stood for Another Useless Deutsch Invention......

+4!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

landsurfer wrote:It always used to be "Why is always a BMW" ......
For me, where i live it's, .. " Why is it always young females driving like maniacs" .....

AUDI...... For when your driving is too bad for a BMW
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just read about an *accident* on the motorway, the police blame aquaplaning (= speeding of course)

The *accident* was caused by an audi driver, his vehicle hit another audi. Another vehicle from a well-known German firm was also involved

Why is it always an audi?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

old_windbag wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Or it could mean: Auto Union Deutschland Industrie

This is the one. Pre-war the auto union racing cars were phenomenal along with mercedes. They were sort of flagships in motor racing, the auto unions also employed superharging giving them a unique sound. The germans became dominant in motor racing in that era with their designs, also BMW in motorcycling.

No. Norton were the dominant force in motorcycle racing throughout the 1930's.

IME it's the fake Mini which is almost invariably badly driven closely followed by the Fiat 500. Is it merely coincidence that both are favoured by young women of the chav persuasion?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Audi...... for when your driving is too bad for BMW
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:Audi...... for when your driving is too bad for BMW

My scientific investigations continue: driving home last week I was gliding up to a junction where one usually has to wait. Two vehicles (neither an audi!) overtook me to reach the stop light a few seconds earlier. I noted that both carried the christian fish symbol, 100%, if that is not stastically significant? Why is it so often a christian? Do they want to get to heaven earlier?
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

The most recent vehicle I noticed overtaking just to join a queue had a bike on the back...

That was a Volkswagen, but it is usually an Audi. I don't know why either, it just is.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Ruadh495 wrote:The most recent vehicle I noticed overtaking just to join a queue had a bike on the back...

That was a Volkswagen, but it is usually an Audi. I don't know why either, it just is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Audi...... for when your driving is too bad for BMW

My scientific investigations continue: driving home last week I was gliding up to a junction where one usually has to wait. Two vehicles (neither an audi!) overtook me to reach the stop light a few seconds earlier. I noted that both carried the christian fish symbol, 100%, if that is not stastically significant? Why is it so often a christian? Do they want to get to heaven earlier?

The 'fish' symbol - the 'Icthius' - was a secret sign used by Christians in the early years of Christianity during times of persecution to help them recognise each other.

The recent popularity of the 'Icthius' badges/symbols currently popularity applied to cars relate to Darwinism - i.e. the belief in evolution of species rather than creation as a one-off single event. You'll probably see two little feet projecting from under the belly of the fish.

These badges do not necessarily denote a Christian owner or driver, in fact the behaviour that you find objectionable (as I would) is not Christian. Clearly some people despise Audi drivers, and you despise Christians; however, your conclusion in this matter is irrational.

The four vehicles that have hit me down the years have been a Volvo estate, two Vauxhalls and a VW. Currently my own personal observation and experience is that large, expensive 4wd vehicles and white vans (Transit type) are the most dangerously and selfishly driven - but there's good and bad in them all.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ruadh495 wrote:That was a Volkswagen, but it is usually an Audi.

Same car different badge.... :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker