Why is it always an Audi

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peetee

Re: Why is it always an Audi

Post by peetee »

I am saddened to find out that now the Audi driver has taken on the behavioural stereotype that was held by BMW drivers back when I drove an Audi.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Taken on? They have had then for probably 15+ years now. Old news really. Even volvo drivers have evolved but audi drivers haven't! You can add on range rover drivers too if you like.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

There's definitely a correlation between the perceived status of a car and the entitlement of the driver.
Status and entitlement are bedfellows in all forms of human behaviour.

These days the status of a BM has been superseded by Audi's and because Audi's are seen as having higher status they're also more desirable and so more are bought.

It's difficult to put numbers on but IME the Audi does seem to score higher in the idiot drivers stakes than I'd have thought its numbers say it should.
Interestingly I find 4x4 drivers less idiotic these days.

Small sample size though and cognitive bias probably applies. :wink:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Occasionally you get people who have had Audis, BMWs, VW Golfs and ride bikes. Such as myself.

Sometimes you get safe older drivers. Nice travelling folk. Ordinary folk who wear helmets. All at some time classed as evil beyond redemption.

Are these stereotypes helpful, serious or just a bit of fun?
John
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Are these stereotypes helpful, serious or just a bit of fun?

As usual, they're a bit of fun for those who aren't on the receiving end.
Last edited by Audax67 on 30 Jan 2019, 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Oldjohnw wrote:Are these stereotypes helpful, serious or just a bit of fun?

Bit of everything I think.

Status and entitlement go hand in hand. That people who buy 'status' cars feel an increase in their status isn't really hard to understand.
There or course is no hard evidence that a feeling of entitlement results in worse driving, but it would be difficult to explain motorists attitudes to cyclists if this wasn't the case.

Of course those with status vehicles will claim it's nonsense, but the affects of entitlement and status aren't necessarily obvious to those who have them, they can be quite subtle.
And of course if you're driving a high status vehicle your less likely to be on the receiving end since other high status drivers will see you as their equal.

Could be nonsense of course, but most of the individual aspects of status and entitlement are fairly well researched and as such it would be interesting to see what if any effect high status cars have on their drivers.
Personally I was a worse driver when I had a crap car because I didn't give a monkeys and often played the "I don't care about my car, do you care about yours?" game with other road users.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Well I certainly never felt any sense of entitlement. Each of my so-called high status cars cost less than a year younger Ford Focus.
John
peetee

Post by peetee »

Oldjohnw wrote:Well I certainly never felt any sense of entitlement. Each of my so-called high status cars cost less than a year younger Ford Focus.

That just goes to show how complex and shallow image and status really is. How do you separate one Jag occupied by a high court judge and another driven by Arthur Daley? Take a million pound dream cottage in the country, remove the gate hinge so it hangs wonky, leave the Tudor beams unpainted for a couple of years and the garden unkempt and it becomes the local eyesore. It's 99.5% the same but..
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Also goes to show it's not the status of the car, but the driver's (and others') perception of the status of the car.

I have a car that was designed as a poser 4x4 but ended up being fairly reliable. The combination of 4x4 suspension, towing ability and cheapness made it ideal for what I was doing when I got it. The funny thing is it does make a difference to other road users: on a one-track road I'm far more likely to be given 'priority' in that than in the small bangers I've usually driven.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

As with any stereotype there's a hint of truth in it. There must be something about Audis that attract the more 'assertive' driver.

Now what could it be?
images.jpg
images.jpg (4.62 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

peetee wrote:Take a million pound dream cottage in the country, remove the gate hinge so it hangs wonky, leave the Tudor beams unpainted for a couple of years and the garden unkempt and it becomes the local eyesore. It's 99.5% the same but..

You've been round our way, then.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Label a car the 'best drivers car in the world' and all the 'Clarkson' types buy them in droves. That's what happened with BMW, I suspect the same has happened with Audi.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:Occasionally you get people who have had Audis, BMWs, VW Golfs and ride bikes. Such as myself.

Sometimes you get safe older drivers. Nice travelling folk. Ordinary folk who wear helmets. All at some time classed as evil beyond redemption.

Are these stereotypes helpful, serious or just a bit of fun?

Both/all three are true
Proud to report I drive a 'seat'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oh no, is my seat an a**i? The dipstick handle is marked with an a**i logo, the dipstick! :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »