Fathering Sunday

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Fathering Sunday

Post by Mick F »

Were you fathers looked after and pampered today?

We did a spot of supermarket shopping, then I slobbed out in the sunshine with a beer or three - (or four or five) - then later was fed roast pork and all the trimmings. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Re: Fathering Sunday

Post by reohn2 »

I'm looked after and pampered every day 8) :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Every day is granddad's day here. :D

Out for lunch today with both our sons and three grandchildren. :D
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Never heard it called fathering Sunday before.

Makes it sound like fathering is something which is done once a year like some fish or those beasts of the field which have an orgy of rutting over a short period of time and then calm down to quietly graze for the rest of the year.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Well I was up at 5am to run (as in organise) a 100-mile TT so didn't get to enjoy Father's Day until about 4pm. I'm just enjoying my third bottle of Theakston's Old Peculiar and my daughter also got me the 50th anniversary edition of Sgt.Pepper's which I'll get to enjoy tomorrow.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Number one son took me up in a Piper Warrior for the afternoon and then evening family dinner at his place. Daughter was over in Germany at a festival but copious amusing messages.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Our two girls had planed to take me on a visit to the museums in Manchester, but then realised it was Manchester day so the city would be heaving therefore we had a nice couple of hours at Jodrell bank learning about the stars and astronomical stuff. then round to Granddads for an hour or so. A nice relaxed day. nice one girls :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

blackbike wrote:Never heard it called fathering Sunday before.
It's my take on the masculine version of Mothering Sunday.

Mothering Sunday is connected with the date of Easter. Mothers' Day is a completely different thing and is celebrated on different dates in different countries. We brits celebrate Mothering Sunday ............... so why can't we have Fathering Sunday? :wink:

BTW, it's too hot out there. :shock:
28degC in the noon-day (north facing) shade.
I went out for a ride this morning, and left at 6am in the relative cool. Got back just before 9am and it was too hot.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:BTW, it's too hot out there. :shock:
28degC in the noon-day (north facing) shade.
I went out for a ride this morning, and left at 6am in the relative cool. Got back just before 9am and it was too hot.

Since I got back from more than 3 weeks away my allotment has grown into a jungle. With jet lag I have been going up there at 5am to clear the weeds but still managed to get sunstroke one day. But...lettuces the size of footballs, strawberries galore, oodles of broad beans, spuds, beets, turnips and I could swear you can hear the courgettes growing :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

came down with man flu , managed a visit to mum and dads where i promptly fell asleep ,then home and fell asleep again in the sofa , had to say sorry to my daughter for being such a lightweight .

but overall breakfast in bed and some Pokemon socks and a couple of every day wear tops :D
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

I have a 1 year old and a Singaporean wife, so we did what we always do; got no sleep and went shopping for things we don't need and can't afford * this does not, regrettably, include Colnagos or Super Record.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G900F using hovercraft full of eels.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Mick F wrote:

Mothering Sunday is connected with the date of Easter. Mothers' Day is a completely different thing ..... We brits celebrate Mothering Sunday .... so why can't we have Fathering Sunday?

Because the male equivalent is a fixed date, so it is only on a Sunday every 7 years (apart from the effects of leap years). While the Christian Mothering Sunday was always a Sunday, fatherhood was celebrated on St Joseph's Day (logically, given Joseph's role) which is always the 19th March, whichever day of the week that might be. For some reason I cannot trace, the practice was not carried over from the Catholic church to the Anglican at the Reformation and so it fell into disuse in Britain except in Catholic circles, despite being widely celebrated on the Continent.

The 'Fathers' Day' celebrated yesterday is a purely American and commercial innovation which for some reason has been sprouting here as well recently. It was promoted in the 1950's and 60's by the 'Fathers Day Council' which was set up by the New York Menswear Retailers Association, hoping to drum up business like the market for women's fancy items created around Mothers' Day.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

jgurney wrote:
Mick F wrote:

Mothering Sunday is connected with the date of Easter. Mothers' Day is a completely different thing ..... We brits celebrate Mothering Sunday .... so why can't we have Fathering Sunday?

Because the male equivalent is a fixed date, so it is only on a Sunday every 7 years (apart from the effects of leap years).
Just checking this fact in my diaries.

2016 FD was on Sunday 19th June.
2015 Sunday 21st
2014 not mentioned in my diary.
2013 Sunday 16th
2012 Sunday 17th
2011 Sunday 19th

I have diaries going back to 1990 .......... but I'm not checking them all. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Mick F wrote:
jgurney wrote:
Mick F wrote:It's my take on the masculine version of Mothering Sunday. ... We brits celebrate Mothering Sunday .... so why can't we have Fathering Sunday?

Because the male equivalent is a fixed date, so it is only on a Sunday every 7 years (apart from the effects of leap years).
Just checking this fact in my diaries.

2016 FD was on Sunday 19th June.
2015 Sunday 21st
2014 not mentioned in my diary.
2013 Sunday 16th
2012 Sunday 17th
2011 Sunday 19th

That is the recently invented American 'Fathers Day' which is indeed the 3rd Sunday in June. What I wrote was that the traditional masculine version of Mothering Sunday (St Joseph's Day) was not called Fathering Sunday because, being on the 19th March, it may be any day of the week.