Fathering Sunday

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Fathering Sunday

Post by Mick F »

Recently invented?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father%27s_Day
In Catholic Europe, it has been celebrated on March 19 (St. Joseph's Day) since the Middle Ages.

We in UK celebrate Fathers' Day on the third Sunday in June and not on St Joseph's Day.

--------------------------------

Can I just put an apostrophe here correctly?
The day is for fathers .............. plural of fathers .......... ie more than one father.
Therefore it is Fathers' Day and not Father's Day.
Mick F. Cornwall
sloyd

Post by sloyd »

fathers'

No. The current British grammar standard for these events is no apostrophe. There is no possession implied in the day, so it's Fathers Day.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Mick F wrote:In Catholic Europe, it has been celebrated on March 19 (St. Joseph's Day)

That is what I wrote earlier.

Mick F wrote: We in UK celebrate Fathers' Day on the third Sunday in June and not on St Joseph's Day.

I agree, as I wrote earlier, some here have taken to copying that American custom in recent years. It is not a universal British practice, nor an established tradition. E.g. I have no recollection of it being observed when I was a child in the late 1960's and the 1970's.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Mick F wrote:
blackbike wrote:Never heard it called fathering Sunday before.
It's my take on the masculine version of Mothering Sunday.

Mothering Sunday is connected with the date of Easter. Mothers' Day is a completely different thing and is celebrated on different dates in different countries. We brits celebrate Mothering Sunday ............... so why can't we have Fathering Sunday? :wink:

BTW, it's too hot out there. :shock:
28degC in the noon-day (north facing) shade.
I went out for a ride this morning, and left at 6am in the relative cool. Got back just before 9am and it was too hot.

Sorry it's mother's day and father's day in our very British family. Mothering Sunday is a Christian celebration, mother's day is a secular celebration. If you want to use mothering Sunday then keep it in the Christian church where it belongs.

PS isn't it a pagan festival taken over by Christianity like all the other Christian celebrations?
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

Isn't "Mothers Day" also different from the traditional Christian "Mothering Sunday"? The secular Mothers Day in most of the world (American again?) is in May.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It can't be long before the launch of the first cousin, once removed day. It's just a matter of whether there's money in it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:It can't be long before the launch of the first cousin, once removed day. It's just a matter of whether there's money in it.

You forgot the dog's birthday :? :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Up at 06:00 to pack the bikes and gear in the car then drove over to Diggle(Oldham).Rode the Saddleworth Turnpike Challange Fathers Day Sportive with my lad.His first Sportive.Glorious sunny day and a great way to spend Fathers Day 8)
Unfortunately I had to go to work at 18:00 for a 12hr nightshift :(
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

sloyd wrote:
fathers'

No. The current British grammar standard for these events is no apostrophe. There is no possession implied in the day, so it's Fathers Day.
Strange. Very strange.

The apostrophe is a very important little thing. They miss it off street signs and people miss them off their house names.

Smugglers Cottage.

Do they?
I thought cottaging was illegal. :lol:

There's a big difference in the phrase "the rabbits run" and "the rabbit's run", let alone "the rabbits' run".
If you say, "the rabbits run", you imply a statement of fact that rabbits actually run, whereas you could have meant to refer to the run that the rabbit (or rabbits) run in.

No, the correct term is Fathers' Day or Mothers' Day, meaning the day for many fathers or many mothers, not just one.
Mick F. Cornwall
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

^^^
Good link. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
sloyd

Post by sloyd »

Spinners wrote:http://proofreading.ie/portfolio/fathers-day-or-fathers-day-mothers-day-or-mothers-day/

Certainly won't be taking my proofreading advice from the Irish. I suppose I could get a dozen counter-links to support my assertion, but I'm really not that bothered.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

FWIW, both Chambers Dictionary and my now-outdated third edition of Fowler have Mother's Day as an alternative to Mothering Sunday. If there's a doubtful expression here I'd suggest it's the use of Fathering Sunday for Father's Day. The "mothering" in Mothering Sunday has its origin in a custom called "mothering." I'd suggest that "fathering" is normally taken to mean something different to buying your Dad a card and a prezzie.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mothering Sunday has it's roots in celebrating Christ's mother. It's a religious date and is fixed with Easter.

Mother's Day or Mothers' Day are civil dates and celebrated at different dates in different countries.

Big difference.
Mick F. Cornwall