The inventor of stereo (and H2S radar) remembered

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

The inventor of stereo (and H2S radar) remembered

Post by mercalia »

Little-known inventor of stereo and crucial WWII radar to be honoured with film on 75th anniversary of his death

" The unsung inventor of stereo sound, and a radar system which helped Britain win the Second World War, is finally to be remembered in a new film made by the Universal Music Group.

Historians say electrical engineer Alan Dower Blumlein was as critical to the war effort as colleagues Alan Turing and Sir Bernard Lovell, yet few people have heard of him."

"In the 1940s, Blumlein was crucial in the development the H2D airborne radar system which was fitted to Halifax bombers to help them identify targets in the dark. The invention would prove critical in helping the allies defeat Hitler’s Germany."

"In 1929 Blumlein joined Columbia Graphophone - which would become EMI - and two years later, after a trip to the cinema with girlfriend Doreen Lane realised that the sound could be enhanced if the sound came from both sides. He was granted a patent on 14 June 1933 and Stereophonic sound was born."

well I didnt know that

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/06/19/little-known-inventor-stereo-crucial-wwii-radar-honoured-film/
Last edited by mercalia on 20 Jun 2017, 10:37am, edited 3 times in total.
reohn2

Re: The inventor of stereo (and H2D radar) remembered

Post by reohn2 »

I had no idea either :?
Makes you why it took so long for the country to recognise this man's remarkable achievements :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hamster

Post by hamster »

Typo in the Telegraph. The radar was H2S not H2D.
H2D was a prototype that was tested in 1944.

He is commemorated by insiders - the IET (Intitute of Engineering and Technology, formerly the IEE) has a room in its HQ in his name.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I couldn't have recalled his name, but having been a radar technician for many years, I was aware of the WW2 connection and high definition airborne centimetric radars.

The British perfected the multiple cavity magnetron which was vastly better than the German equivalent. I think they used klystrons.
Mick F. Cornwall