Glastonbury

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rjb

Re: Glastonbury

Post by rjb »

My daughter is playing at the proms this year with the Bournmouth Symphony Orch. BTW it's chucking it down here and we can see Glastonbury from our village. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I listen to all manner of music and attempt to play too. Who cares if i'm not eric clapton as its the pleasure it brings me to hear chords and melody from my own efforts. Guess its the same as not being chris froome but still enjoying riding a bike. Anyway where classicals concerned i always feel that you'd have to be the composer to play it as they would expect it to be played. Even though the notes have timing, keys and textual terms to guide playing i.e allegro, lento ad infinitum it's open to much variance when played by different people, perhaps not intended but it isn't accurately defined as a machine would expect. It'd be interesting to bring back composers and see their opinion of different classical renditions of their own work.

Where variations are concerned i do like vaughan williams 5 variants of dives and lazarus
Another one i heard years ago and not since was variations on the "lambeth walk" on piano. This was good in that you went from the tune you knew, the chirpy london song, to one nearly unrecognisable but built on same underlying melody. A really good example of what can be achieved.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rjb wrote:My daughter is playing at the proms this year with the Bournmouth Symphony Orch. BTW it's chucking it down here and we can see Glastonbury from our village. :(

You can see it, can you hear it?
Do the people who organise G make a lot of money?

I find conductors interesting, they direct musicians many of whom are great performers in their own right

Kyrill Petrenko is the new conductor of the Bayerische Staatsoper. When he was appointed he said he would be concentrating on his work to start with and would not talk to the media. He would not talk to the media later, either
+1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rjb

Post by rjb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Kyrill Petrenko is the new conductor of the Bayerische Staatsoper. When he was appointed he said he would be concentrating on his work to start with and would not talk to the media. He would not talk to the media later, either
+1

Is he related to Vasily Petrenko, conductor of the Royal Liverpool Phil,

BTW we can't here the festival :D , the Tor is visible from here but we are approx 15 miles away.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
hondated

Post by hondated »

al_yrpal wrote:I have never got Radiohead? Seems to me sounds to slit your wrists to...

Al

Only a couple of songs from Elbow to lift your spirits all evening. :?

+ 1 Glad its not just me Al.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Not a huge fan of Guy Garvey et al tbh. A limited repertoire of anthemic tunes but the albums aren't great.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I've no real desire to go to Glastonbury but sometimes watch it on the box. In fact, it's what got me into Neil Young (and then Buffalo Springfield) a few years back.

Hope everyone who attends enjoys it!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Tizme

Post by Tizme »

I live quite close to Pilton, which is where "Glasto" is situated, quite a distance from Glastonbury itself (but you can see the Tor from the site). I can hear continuous "noise" from the site throughout the event (the gates open earlier and earlier it seems), sounds like rolling thunder for 4 days! The roads can, at times be busy. Despite the availability of buses to ferry people to/from the site you can still find people walking on the roads, despite the dangers. Cycling to/from work is a risky business, last year I complained to the organisers, with video evidence, of the poor passing by some of the bus drivers and was basically fobbed off with a "we'll send it to our contractors for them to deal with".

You can cycle to the event and get in an "exclusive" field with its own showers and toilets, so it has been known for people to drive to within a mile or so and then cycle the last bit! If you can carry it in, you can basically take all the food/drink you want. Local supermarkets stock up with extra booze during the week and it all gets sold.

So that was the down side,

My daughters have been going for 15+ years and would hate to miss it, my wife buys a "locals only" Sunday ticket and has a great time - there is so much to do and see without ever watching a group on stage -

Me, no thanks, too commercial, too much saving the earth bleeding hearts, and then leaving a mountain of rubbish behind when everyone goes back to the day job.

It has become "trendy" ever since the BBC started showing it on TV, I'm of the opinion that that was to the detriment of the event, but opened it up to a wider audience (and thereby started the "must go to glasto" movement).

There are several much more low key, old style "Pilton Festival", as it used to be called, events locally that have a great atmosphere, promote local groups that I would rather go to (if I had the inclination), but I'd rather be cycling :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rjb wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Kyrill Petrenko is the new conductor of the Bayerische Staatsoper. When he was appointed he said he would be concentrating on his work to start with and would not talk to the media. He would not talk to the media later, either
+1

Is he related to Vasily Petrenko, conductor of the Royal Liverpool Phil,

BTW we can't here the festival :D , the Tor is visible from here but we are approx 15 miles away.

Not clear from Wikipedia whether they are related

Just been at a gr8 classical concert, the Moldau by Smetana, Beethovens Pastoral

+1 for dead composers, Elgar, Nigel and the prom concerts
PH

Post by PH »

By circumstance rather than design I've been once a decade since my first visit in the early 80's. That first visit was when the gates were opened to give refuge to those who had been violently evicted from the free festival at Stonehenge. I was disillusioned when some of the new age travelers repaid that hospitality by refusing to leave again unless given diesel money. Visits over the next three decades have seen it evolve from alternative, to fringe to mainstream. I can't imagine anyone going and not finding stuff to amuse or entertain them, there's so much beyond the headliners very few of whom I've bothered to go see.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Apropos of nothing, the stand-out act of the weekend was Nile Rogers & Chic. Absolutely remarkable, and age hasn't withered him. Very much recommended on the iBotherer. Musicianship of the highest standard throughout the organisation (as Nile terms it). Seems he also got hands-on with the Tower relief effort in London, too.

There's already a movement to have them headline in 2019, I sense (well, there's two of us actually, but that doesn't make us wrong :D )
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

+1 for Sir Nigel, what plans is he making?
I still like the music of my youth
Beethoven, Elgar, Sibelius :wink:
And XTC of course

Who is Ed Shearan?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Coming to a station to soothe your anxiosity soon.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 60%2F&_rdr

If any computer expert knows how to extract this video without having a Facebook account please let a proud dad know. :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

only a walley would pay £100's of pounds to listen to music being belted out thru pa speakers or have their rib cages & guts pounded by those monster bass units. same goes for those twits who spend lots of dosh attending wembly arena type concerts where you are miles away from your idols. :lol: :lol:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Live and let live's a good maxim, I find :D