Glastonbury

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Glastonbury

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:only a walley would pay £100's of pounds to listen to music being belted out thru pa speakers or have their rib cages & guts pounded by those monster bass units. same goes for those twits who spend lots of dosh attending wembly arena type concerts where you are miles away from your idols. :lol: :lol:

Bonefishblues wrote:Live and let live's a good maxim, I find :D
I'd go more for BFB's way of looking at things, than Merc's, sorry Merc!

Personally, I loathe the kind of entertainment put across at Glastonbury and the like, but if that's what young (and not-so-young) people want, and if they're prepared to endure the exorbitant prices and gulag-like 'facilities' at such events, let them!

Just so long as I'm allowed to go to the sort of concerts I like (for which tickets can also be quite costly, but at least the venues are more comfortable!)

When we hear of tragedies like that which befell the festival at Portsmouth this weekend, one cannot but despair! I know it's a cruel thing to say, but the word 'Darwinism' springs to mind. If young folk really can't enjoy the atmosphere of such a performance without dosing themselves with unknown substances which they must surely know might kill them - what hope is there? :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:only a walley would pay £100's of pounds to listen to music being belted out thru pa speakers or have their rib cages & guts pounded by those monster bass units. same goes for those twits who spend lots of dosh attending wembly arena type concerts where you are miles away from your idols. :lol: :lol:

Change a few words and that's how many people would describe those of us who enjoy cycling...
Your definition of Wally (Alternative spelling exist) seems to be anyone who's a bit different from us, though it's nice to see others reject that.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I prefer this definition of "Wally" (if you can find him, that is...) :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
PH

Post by PH »

I thought this thread resurrection was going to be about the BBC's Big Weekend, put on to fill the gap between Glastos. I've been catching up with some of the bands from the 6Music Belfast venues, absolutely brilliant, I wish I'd gone.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here he is.
91--O+BEAxL.jpg
91--O+BEAxL.jpg (8.51 KiB) Viewed 214 times
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PH wrote:

Change a few words and that's how many people would describe those of us who enjoy cycling...
Your definition of Wally (Alternative spelling exist) seems to be anyone who's a bit different from us, though it's nice to see others reject that.

I think you would have to change quite a few words
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:I prefer this definition of "Wally" (if you can find him, that is...) :lol:

now if that was a picture on those on the tube today then you have carriages full of them. must be dire underground today?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Anybody remember the Malvern Rave, 1992? :(

These fun events blanket the country for miles around with loud noise

Who will pay for treatment for the *revellers* when they go deaf in a few decades?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Risk of deafness aside, I've just been reading through yet more damaging revelations about the handling of this "Mutiny" festival.

Whatever else happens, I sincerely hope this "Mutiny" event never takes place again. Not ever. It's the organisers who should be facing trial and possible prison sentences - not just the drug pushers. I'm sure there are others who think the same.

What about other similar events? Including Glastonbury? Should there be a blanket ban across the board on all such festivals? I suppose, even for mooting the idea, I'll be labelled the "killjoy to surpass all other killjoys". If so, I accept that. But these seem to be dangerous events. Should we condone this sort of danger?

Perhaps ultra-draconian security, including strip-searching of all attendees, might be one possible answer....
fixerupper

Post by fixerupper »

I haven't been for years ,but I used to go ..If you enjoy camping it's OK where else can you see and hear loads of good music and theatre, Magic, standup , art ...for an all in price ...if you go and just get off your face in a tent for three days it is a waste of money ...you can do that in the back garden..
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Let's wait for the facts to come out.
pwa

Post by pwa »

661-Pete wrote:Risk of deafness aside, I've just been reading through yet more damaging revelations about the handling of this "Mutiny" festival.

Whatever else happens, I sincerely hope this "Mutiny" event never takes place again. Not ever. It's the organisers who should be facing trial and possible prison sentences - not just the drug pushers. I'm sure there are others who think the same.

What about other similar events? Including Glastonbury? Should there be a blanket ban across the board on all such festivals? I suppose, even for mooting the idea, I'll be labelled the "killjoy to surpass all other killjoys". If so, I accept that. But these seem to be dangerous events. Should we condone this sort of danger?

Perhaps ultra-draconian security, including strip-searching of all attendees, might be one possible answer....

Futile, Pete. The drugs are not limited to specific events. An eleven year old from a town near me has been in hospital after a suspected bad reaction to "spice" put in a ciggy by his mates as a joke. No festival, just youngsters doing things their parents disapprove of.
sjs

Post by sjs »

661-Pete wrote:Risk of deafness aside, I've just been reading through yet more damaging revelations about the handling of this "Mutiny" festival.

Your previous remarks were indeed cruel, and these last couple of paragraphs are reminiscent of the musings of a DM commenter, for instance about cyclists.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

sjs wrote:

Your previous remarks were indeed cruel, and these last couple of paragraphs are reminiscent of the musings of a DM commenter, for instance about cyclists.

The Guardian reports that not enough drinking water was available
Easy to imagine what could (did?) happen in hot weather, maybe if more people attend than expected

One imagines the festivals make a lot of money (or a lot of revenue), yet another place where enforcement is needed

A bit different from traffic crime mind, no-one has to go to a festival

There was an event at *love parade*, a festival in Germany, some year ago
Many people died
The festival was not held again
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

sjs wrote:and these last couple of paragraphs are reminiscent of the musings of a DM commenter, for instance about cyclists.
All right, say that if you must - but not really a fair analogy. I see nothing in the attendance of a music festival, which tells me anything about being good for one's health, good for one's pocket, good to ease traffic congestion, good for the environment, etc. etc.

All that that sort of activity seems to be 'good for', as I see it, is the pursuance of hedonism.

So what can one say about the 'hedonistic' aspects of cycling? Especially when battling one's way against a headwind with a piercing sleety rain getting into one's clothes?