Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75
Posts: 8313
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby pete75 » 2 Jul 2017, 2:03pm

blackbike wrote:Labour's deputy leader says Corbyn is secure as leader and calls for party unity.

That is a sure sign that all is not well.

It reminds me of a vote of confidence from a chairman to a football manager.


And all the comments from Cabinet colleagues saying May is secure as PM don't say much worse about the Tory party??? :lol:

blackbike
Posts: 2460
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 3:21pm

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby blackbike » 2 Jul 2017, 2:17pm

pete75 wrote:
blackbike wrote:Labour's deputy leader says Corbyn is secure as leader and calls for party unity.

That is a sure sign that all is not well.

It reminds me of a vote of confidence from a chairman to a football manager.


And all the comments from Cabinet colleagues saying May is secure as PM don't say much worse about the Tory party??? :lol:


I didn't mention Mrs May's standing with her party's rank and file because this is a thread about Mr Corbyn's chances of becoming PM within 6 months.

Given the divisions in the Labour Party I don't think it is at all certain that Corbyn would be the next PM even if Labour win the next election.

He could be history by then.

Apparently there is a Labour plot to undermine Corbyn's authority going on right now.

Usual Labour snafu.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 17121.html

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 7581
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby horizon » 2 Jul 2017, 4:17pm

blackbike wrote:
I didn't mention Mrs May's standing with her party's rank and file because this is a thread about Mr Corbyn's chances of becoming PM within 6 months. I agree

Given the divisions in the Labour Party I don't think it is at all certain that Corbyn would be the next PM even if Labour win the next election.I agree

He could be history by then.I agree

Apparently there is a Labour plot to undermine Corbyn's authority going on right now.I agree

Usual Labour snafu.I agree

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 17121.html


The funny thing is I agree with all your points. But that's politics. I'm standing by my earlier prognosis above in which the Tories will select a new and dynamic leader to take on Corbyn (assuming he's still leader), a sort of Cameron Mark II. As the polls stand it's 45/39 in Labour's favour which means there won't be a voluntary election yet a while. But the Commons is a volatile place and TM has a very thin majority - a couple of Tory MPs kicking the bucket, Sinn Fein getting cheap flights to Heathrow and we are in election territory. And then all bets are off (sorry alyrpal).
Bikes belong on trains.

pete75
Posts: 8313
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby pete75 » 2 Jul 2017, 4:24pm

blackbike wrote:
pete75 wrote:
blackbike wrote:Labour's deputy leader says Corbyn is secure as leader and calls for party unity.

That is a sure sign that all is not well.

It reminds me of a vote of confidence from a chairman to a football manager.


And all the comments from Cabinet colleagues saying May is secure as PM don't say much worse about the Tory party??? :lol:


I didn't mention Mrs May's standing with her party's rank and file because this is a thread about Mr Corbyn's chances of becoming PM within 6 months.



And those chances have nothing whatsoever to do with events in the Tory party? You can't discuss one without discussing the other - cause and effect.

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 7581
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby horizon » 2 Jul 2017, 4:35pm

I think the OP needs to give us more details as to how he sees Corbyn becoming PM or not. The crystal ball is very foggy at the moment and Corbyn has both electoral and parliamentary routes to No.10.
Bikes belong on trains.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 6255
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Chilterns, the bit the gubment havent concreted over (yet) although they are trying..

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby al_yrpal » 2 Jul 2017, 5:32pm

I don't believe Corbyn has a parliamentary route to No 10. Now the Tories got the queen's speech through they can coast along for a bit. There's a lot of noise, there's some decent effective opposition at long last and what we are getting is a few Corbyn policies without the disadvantages of Corbyn. More Tory softening I think even though we are still increasing public debt at the rate of £1 billion a week and paying £1 billion a week in interest.
As for the electoral route it's pretty much blocked. The Tories will fight tooth and nail to hold on. As for general public sentiment I am the wrong person to ask because I live in the heart of the promised land. Even so the Labour party here increased it vote from lost deposit to 11500 at the recent election. But the sitting MP still got 33000 votes like he did before. This implies that Labour voters, old and new, had been sitting on their hands. But Corbyn still lost heavily.

Have you decided on which bike to get yet, it's only been 2 years or so of vacilation? :?

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

brynpoeth
Posts: 1903
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Sep 2017, 8:01am

The Grauniad reports that Corbyn is a vegetarian who enjoys vegan food too

He talked about this at an event organised by *lush cosmetics*, what was he doing there?
Cycling? Of course, but it's far better on a Gillott.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 13567
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby Vorpal » 5 Sep 2017, 9:09am

brynpoeth wrote:The Grauniad reports that Corbyn is a vegetarian who enjoys vegan food too

He talked about this at an event organised by *lush cosmetics*, what was he doing there?

Why does it matter?

FWIW, I believe that he was an invited speaker to a two-day event that included new Lush products, politics, food and music.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

brynpoeth
Posts: 1903
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Sep 2017, 11:39am

I just upgraded from the Grauniad to the Sun where I read that Jacob Rees-Mogg is favourite to succeed Chairperson May and be Jezzas opponent next time

He has one Welsh name, +1!

But what newspaper does he read?
Cycling? Of course, but it's far better on a Gillott.

Psamathe
Posts: 7658
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby Psamathe » 5 Sep 2017, 12:31pm

brynpoeth wrote:I just upgraded from the Grauniad to the Sun where I read that Jacob Rees-Mogg is favourite to succeed Chairperson May and be Jezzas opponent next time ....

I think that would probably help Corbyn even more. Mogg might be popular within the core Conservative Party but he comes across as having a very privileged background (Eton, Oxford, £££££) and whilst Conservatives love that, to get elected they need far wider support.

Also, Mogg is a staunch and uncompromising Brexiteer and public opinion is moving away from Brexit so he'll have even more of an uphill struggle there as well.

And if he starts the "I will work to improve the conditions for those at the lower end ..." who will believe him (given his background and accent). Nobody believes May when she spouts similar but Mogg has a lot more of a challenge.

Ian

reohn2
Posts: 27692
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby reohn2 » 5 Sep 2017, 1:16pm

Ian
I'll second that,and hope he does become leader
At least he'll help rid the country of this shower currently making a complete spherics of it :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Psamathe
Posts: 7658
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby Psamathe » 5 Sep 2017, 1:37pm

reohn2 wrote:Ian
I'll second that,and hope he does become leader
At least he'll help rid the country of this shower currently making a complete spherics of it :)

Also, I wonder if Mogg (or his supporters or the "hackers") have moved too soon. I'd expect even the most blinkered Brexiteers to recognise by now what a disaster Brexit is going to be for the UK and for some (e.g. Mogg) they think that is a price worth paying (they are wealthy enough anyway so they wont actually be doing "the paying"). So they need to wait for the Brexit disaster, then they'll have May to blame it on; wont be hard for either side, Remain saying it always was a bad idea badly executed whilst Leave can declare it was a disaster because May really stood for a softer Brexit and did not negotiate hard enough.

But to start his campaign now is far too early. Or maybe it's the anti-Mogg factions who are starting it now deliberately too early so he is perceived as a threat and as disloyal and will be rejected like Gove was. Activate seem to be somewhat at odds with themselves claiming they were hacked by Activate themselves, pro-May factions hijacking the pro-Mogg factions ... And their website became something of a joke when they were publishing donations with names ... and the names of donors then included e.g. Harold Shipman and Jimmy Saville! only for them to then claim the web site has not yet been launched!

Ian

Psamathe
Posts: 7658
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby Psamathe » 6 Sep 2017, 12:41pm

brynpoeth wrote:I just upgraded from the Grauniad to the Sun where I read that Jacob Rees-Mogg is favourite to succeed Chairperson May and be Jezzas opponent next time ....

Interesting article about Rees-Mogg's opinions and stance on social issues http://eveningharold.com/2017/09/06/jacob-rees-mogg-still-right-about-everything-this-week-abortion/

Ian

kwackers
Posts: 10923
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby kwackers » 6 Sep 2017, 12:48pm

Psamathe wrote:Interesting article about Rees-Mogg's opinions and stance on social issues http://eveningharold.com/2017/09/06/jacob-rees-mogg-still-right-about-everything-this-week-abortion/

Ian

Mogg has the face of someone who was at the bottom of the bullying hierarchy at school (presumably private).
It's no wonder he looked for solace in an invisible friend and took the medieval teachings of their supporters at face value.

Psamathe
Posts: 7658
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Postby Psamathe » 6 Sep 2017, 12:53pm

kwackers wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Interesting article about Rees-Mogg's opinions and stance on social issues http://eveningharold.com/2017/09/06/jacob-rees-mogg-still-right-about-everything-this-week-abortion/

Ian

Mogg has the face of someone who was at the bottom of the bullying hierarchy at school (presumably private).
.....

Yet another from Eton.

Ian