Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Corbyn to be PM within 6 months?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There's a row going on, down near Slough :?

Hasan Patel, a supporter of Corbyn and a critic of elite education, won a place at Eton
Some people criticised him, I think he is right to take up his place to learn about what he criticses

Patel for PM in 20 years?

PM? For which party?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

This thread began in June. 2017.
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Oldjohnw wrote:This thread began in June. 2017.

Back then nobody realised TM would cling to life like Frankenstein's monster.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

kwackers wrote:

I'll just leave this here...
https://imgur.com/r/mechanical_gifs/RGGoBLV
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

kwackers wrote:

Or indeed old JC himself. It must be unique that both parties have leaders that a substantial part of both their parliamentary and party members dislike or distrust but who seem immune to removal.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Corbyn to be PM within six years?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Corbyn to be PM within sixteen years?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Good bet on my part :D I am willing to renew it. After Diannes QT performance and Corbyns refusal to talk...well!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is labour breaking up? Shall Jerry never be PM? Who might be the next pm, or might Mrs May stay years and years?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I hear on the news this morning, that some of the Tories are considering joining these new ex-Labour independent MPs.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

al_yrpal wrote:Good bet on my part :D I am willing to renew it. After Diannes QT performance and Corbyns refusal to talk...well!

Al

I think your money is safe. Corbyn will never be PM.
The voting public may agree some of the things he suggests need sorting within the country but have a horror of far left politics.
Sad to say but Blair's style of Labour may have a better chance of ousting the Tories.
Just my view as always, but he's a dud, more suited to harassment from the back benches than as a leader of the Labour party
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It seems to me that we are currently in the unenviable position where both main parties are led by people are are unable to lead and are completely inflexible and myopic in their views. And both parties are themselves disfunctional. People may have liked Corbyn's social policies but could only keep their fingers crossed that he could lead. He can't. His failure will be punished.

People don't like May's policies and know she can't lead.

I fear UK politics are badly broken but we are so wedded to a two party system that we are complaining about the traffic but remain standing in the motorway. It is delusional but we insist.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:It seems to me that we are currently in the unenviable position where both main parties are led by people are are unable to lead and are completely inflexible and myopic in their views. And both parties are themselves disfunctional. People may have liked Corbyn's social policies but could only keep their fingers crossed that he could lead. He can't. His failure will be punished.

People don't like May's policies and know she can't lead.

I fear UK politics are badly broken but we are so wedded to a two party system that we are complaining about the traffic but remain standing in the motorway. It is delusional but we insist.

A perfect assessment of the state of UK politics,what a mess.And worse than that I can't see it getting any better,as the Brexit cliff edge looms the horses pulling it become wilder........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

One party is as mad as a bid of frogs with a few good people. The other is led by people who are a mad as a box of frogs with some very good MPs (a few less after yesterday).

Seriously though, Corbyn wasn't a leader. May was never a leader.

I see May as a kind of Kenneth Clark figure who makes a top job and is prominent member of her party but should never make leader. But who puts good in those two main parties? The last good, potential labour leaders have left the house. The Brexit fiasco has meant good tories have disappeared.

IMHO a new party could be the answer. I don't think there's enough good MPs left to populate a new politics with a chance of success over here.

There's certainly one thing that's proven these past few years. Shoot opposition leads to shoot government.
pwa

Post by pwa »

If this ripping up of current party lines runs much further we could see two new parties based on Brexit stance rather that other ideology. I've been expecting something like this (Tories too) for 18months or so.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

pwa wrote:If this ripping up of current party lines runs much further we could see two new parties based on Brexit stance rather that other ideology. I've been expecting something like this (Tories too) for 18months or so.

That could be complicated. It's not as binary as pro-Brexit versus Remain. There could be all sorts of Brexit Parties. Remain is a bit simpler, but there could be a Remain Party, a Remain But Reform Party, or even a Remain And Further Integrate Party (that would be small).