Hillsborough

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Hillsborough

Post by pete75 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
As is often the case, people with the strongest views about such organisations are often the ones with the least, if any, experience of them.

Of course, folk who dislike such organisations will avoid them - but a man doesn't have to go to Sandhurst to be a competent and effective officer.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

pete75 wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:
As is often the case, people with the strongest views about such organisations are often the ones with the least, if any, experience of them.

Of course, folk who dislike such organisations will avoid them - but a man doesn't have to go to Sandhurst to be a competent and effective officer.

Slightly baffled pete75.....
According to my discharge papers and annual assessments over 23 years, and subsequent promotions, i was an effective military officer.
A Private Soldier.
A Non Commissioned Officer.
A Senior Non Commissioned Officer.

What is the point you are making about Lance ???
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

landsurfer wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:

Slightly baffled pete75.....
According to my discharge papers and annual assessments over 23 years, and subsequent promotions, i was an effective military officer.
A Private Soldier.
A Non Commissioned Officer.
A Senior Non Commissioned Officer.

What is the point you are making about Lance ???

I was replying to his view that the people with the least experience of such places have the strongest views about them - presumably he meant critical views so they are likely to avoid them. Just added that people on't need to go to Sandhurst any way to be a decent officer.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

ibbo68 wrote:Whatever the report says there were drunk Liverpool fans turning up en-mass after 15:00.That is a fact.
This would have gone on and on and on until the Liverpool fans were exhonerated of any blame.That isn't Justice for the 96 that died at all.

Confused here, what has the drinking of alcohol beyond 3pm got to do with the crushing to death of the 96? Surely it was the role of the police to supervise crowds at football stadia along with the stadia security themselves? I naively thought police were trained to police.drunken fans outside football stadia even back then.

It does seem to me your comments are similar to comments made at the time by the likes of the sun and others. Heap blame on some Liverpool fans and you'll condemn them all. Hillsborough disaster was about bad command and control decisions by the senior officer and the following smear/cover-up. If you want to continues with the smear element then please do I'll not agree with you and never will. The 96 were not drinking at 3pm but were real fans there for the game. They are at the centre of this inquiry IMHO not the louts you used to see at and around all football stadia on.match days.

At the similar times where I lived match days were full of louts with no intention of seeing the match but still wearing tribal colours. Even worse when Burnley came to town (Blackburn) and vice versa when it was at.Burnley. Although Burnley fans had a rep for trashing their own town centre when Blackburn beat them. Mentality of football "fans" at the time. Friends at school back then used to hang around town to watch the fights between opposing "fans". It was kind of Romanesque entertainment I reckon.

P.S. why has Hillsborough come up again? I've been away so has there been a report on it over the past few weeks?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ibbo68 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:The belated convictions for child abuse in Rotherham has given me confidence that those named in the Hillsborough coroners report will actually face court.

What about those un-uamed.What about those who according to this report weren't to blame?
I lived in Hillsborough 1986-1994.I was in Hillsborough with friends having a drink(as we did every Saturday afternoon on our way into town).I was in a pub called the Park Hotel which is 5 mins walk from the Leppings Lane end of the Stadium.There were dozens of Liverpool fans still buying drinks at 14:45 onwards.This was the same in the other pubs in Hillsborough.
Whatever the report says there were drunk Liverpool fans turning up en-mass after 15:00.That is a fact.
This would have gone on and on and on until the Liverpool fans were exhonerated of any blame.That isn't Justice for the 96 that died at all.
SY Police were bent back then and they still are now but they cannot take all the blame but it looks like that's what's going to happen.
There is still hatred towards Liverpool fans in and around S6 because the people around there know exactly what happened.As I said earlier covering a cover up with a cover up isn't justice.

You should have given evidence at the inquest then though maybe you didn't wish to repeat those allegations where a prison sentence for perjury is a possibility.