Auferstanden aus Ruinen - we love Germany!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Auferstanden aus Ruinen - we love Germany!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

57 years ago today Berlin was divided by the Wall

1989 it was knocked down, +1 and special thanks to PotUS Reagan + Mr Gorbachev

We thought it was the End of History and things would get better and better :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Cyril Haearn wrote:57 years ago today Berlin was divided by the Wall

1989 it was knocked down, +1 and special thanks to PotUS Reagan + Mr Gorbachev

We thought it was the End of History and things would get better and better :wink:

Depends who you include in "We". History doesn't end and things never get better for the masses (until the revolution, which I no longer even think possible never mind inevitable - to what can the apostate Marxist-Leninist turn?).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The government in Berlin invited citizens to an open weekend, 14 ministries and the Bundeskanzleramt participated, 130 000 citizens attended, +1

Does the May regime do anything like that?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The government in Berlin invited citizens to an open weekend, 14 ministries and the Bundeskanzleramt participated, 130 000 citizens attended, +1

Well if you shut your shops at 3pm on Saturday and keep them closed on Sunday you've got to find something else to do :wink: (I know shopping hours have relaxed somewhat since I lived in Germany in the 90s).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The government in Berlin invited citizens to an open weekend, 14 ministries and the Bundeskanzleramt participated, 130 000 citizens attended, +1

Well if you shut your shops at 3pm on Saturday and keep them closed on Sunday you've got to find something else to do :wink: (I know shopping hours have relaxed somewhat since I lived in Germany in the 90s).

Yes, in Germany Sunday is still special, +1 :wink:
At train stations food stores may open Sundays, quite a few other food stores open 7oo-23oo
Germany does change, but slowly
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Yes, in Germany Sunday is still special, +1 :wink:
At train stations food stores may open Sundays, quite a few other food stores open 7oo-23oo

It's interesting that when re-unification happened East Germans found their shopping hours suddenly drastically shortened!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Yes, in Germany Sunday is still special, +1 :wink:

It's interesting that when re-unification happened East Germans found their shopping hours suddenly drastically shortened!

I thought I was a DDR expert but I did not know that :? Waiting times became shorter too mind

Now the East is shiny and new, Rostock is in a better condition than Luebeck for example
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I've enjoyed this thread. I've learned that as well as being generally friendly and good at engineering, Germany is football-mad, possessed of some excellent foods, and plagued by bureaucracy.

It's starting to sound a lot like northern England. I wonder which area speaks better English... :lol:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Pastychomper wrote:I've enjoyed this thread. I've learned that as well as being generally friendly and good at engineering, Germany is football-mad, possessed of some excellent foods, and plagued by bureaucracy.

It's starting to sound a lot like northern England. I wonder which area speaks better English... :lol:

Plus One
Little-known fact: "Auferstanden aus Ruinen" is the first line of the DDR anthem

Germany has too much democracy, 16 regional parliaments, but it seems to work, +1
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oh no, there are some ugly goings-on in Karl-Marx-Stadt/Chemnitz

Another big demo is planned but the cops have been warned, they will doubtless be present in such great numbers that one is safer or feels safer to be near the demo :?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Oh no, there are some ugly goings-on in Karl-Marx-Stadt/Chemnitz

Another big demo is planned but the cops have been warned, they will doubtless be present in such great numbers that one is safer or feels safer to be near the demo :?

I'm going on my hols to Germany at the w/e. Looking forward to currywurst, good beer, Eiscafe, slightly rude and objectionable Germans, fastidious opening hours, no lawnmowers on Sunday and of course always road parking in the direction of traffic...

It's a while (8 years) since I've been so I'll see how my ever creakier German is understood. Brexit will be interesting - I think there'll be a lot of disappointment as we were/are one of the thriftier nations Germany could depend on in hard financial wrangling but I expect to hear a lot more 'We shouldn't be in the Euro/supporting the Greeks'' more than most here would think - don't start that here - go to the other thread!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Oh no, there are some ugly goings-on in Karl-Marx-Stadt/Chemnitz

I'm going on my hols to Germany at the w/e. Looking forward to currywurst, good beer, Eiscafe, slightly rude and objectionable Germans, fastidious opening hours, no lawnmowers on Sunday and of course always road parking in the direction of traffic...

It's a while (8 years) since I've been so I'll see how my ever creakier German is understood. Brexit will be interesting - I think there'll be a lot of disappointment as we were/are one of the thriftier nations Germany could depend on in hard financial wrangling but I expect to hear a lot more 'We shouldn't be in the Euro/supporting the Greeks'' more than most here would think - don't start that here - go to the other thread!

Please report back, where are you going? Read Bild Zeitung if you want to know what The People are thinking :wink:
Plus One for restrictions on infernal combustion engines and parking laws

Lovely grey overcast weather by the Baltic today
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Lovely grey overcast weather by the Baltic today

Flying to Hamburg, rental car - Lubeck - into Mecklenburg Vorpommern for a week's wandering (by car) then back to Hamburg for three nights - home.
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:

Yes, in Germany Sunday is still special, +1 :wink:
Everything happens in Germany slowly. It is is to the chagrin of the British that we are no longer the engine room of Europe.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G900F using hovercraft full of eels.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I love Germany because Butterstollen, delicious fruity Christmas cake, will be in the shops next week