Ice cream

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Ice cream

Post by mercalia »

The only commercial ice cream I like is Mackies vanilla - but they did a con some time ago - for £3 you used to get 1.5l now only 1l so I only buy it when it is a special at Sainsburys or Lidls
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

Making ice cream at home requires no more hardware than a can opener, plastic container, a working freezer, and a stirring implement.
The ingredients are a tin of condensed milk and a pot of double cream mixed together + chuck in whatever you fancy if you like flavours, like Baileys, or rhubarb, or stem ginger. Then put the container in the freezer and leave alone; neither continuous nor occasional stirring is required since large ice crystals do not grow.
It baffles me why people need ice cream makers since this makes the nicest ice cream you will ever eat.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Have you become acquainted with frozen yogurt? Much prefer it personally.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

iandriver wrote:Have you become acquainted with frozen yogurt? Much prefer it personally.

Given the highly addictive mix of fat and sugar in ice cream, that might be the better option. You make your own or buy it?
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Freddie wrote:
iandriver wrote:Have you become acquainted with frozen yogurt? Much prefer it personally.

Given the highly addictive mix of fat and sugar in ice cream, that might be the better option. You make your own or buy it?

I buy it. Wouldn't know where to start making it, apart from Google.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

Freddie wrote:

I bought some co-op frozen yoghurt last night to try, after reading this. It had 26g of sugars per 100g. This is significantly more than plain ice cream (without all the toffee sauce and fudge etc) e.g. Tesco finest madagascan vanilla is below half of this.
I reckon this is because fat tastes nice, so less sugar is needed, but yoghurt is more watery with more proteins and less fat. Now that I know this, I'd rather have the ice cream.