Do You think we should leave the EU?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do You think we should leave the EU?

Yes I still think Yes
25%
No I still think No
67%
Yes I have changed my mind since last time
2%
No I have changed my mind since Last time
6%
I dont know now what to do
No votes
I still dont know what to do
No votes

Total votes: 63

PDQ Mobile

Re: Do You think we should leave the EU?

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Simplistic in the sense that you are (or were) employed by Europe.gives with one hand takes with other etc.
And In my case as a lifelong resident of Wales I am probably a net beneficiary!

A lot of money spent is also "borrowed" of course! Just look at our national debt.

If there's money to be spent, then spend it sensibly. (It's no good in the bank)
That is where I feel the EU has been better than our own Govts.
More social, more green, more sustainable, in its aims.

Ps.I guess Denmark, Scandinavia and the Netherlands are likely to be net contributors too.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Labour would leave single market, says Jeremy Corbyn

Both main parties are committed to Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... emy-corbyn
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

ireland as well is switching to contributor which is why it will follow us out. 8bn is a lot when you get nothing substantial back.

norway and switzerland are watching closely to see if they can scrap efta and follow us in not paying billions for laws and migrants they don't want.

IMO the easiest solution is to come up with a UK led commonwealth trading organisation of 2.4 billion people and invite european nations to join as well, there's already precedent as rwanda was never a colony and I'd love it if brussels joined the commonwealth. :D

as I understand it though under WTO rules we retain grandfather rights to all deals signed by the EU with outside and also member states. so we can leave with out paying a penny as per the lisbon treaty and have 27 free trade deals with the EU states as standard. the EU is superfluous and ridiculous with its claims that the EU won the last three olympics and demands for both the UK and france's seat on the security council. I have no idea why if thinks it can be at the G7/G8/G20 etc.. meetings as well as france germany UK italy etc.....

that said i reckon they owe us and plenty. we should demand strasbourg as part payment so we can move the HOC and HOL there while westminster is being rebuilt. should save a billion or two and rub france up the wrong way.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

IMO the easiest solution is to come up with a UK led commonwealth trading organisation of 2.4 billion people and invite european nations to join as well, there's already precedent as rwanda was never a colony and I'd love it if brussels joined the commonwealth.

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking, please.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:
hjd10 wrote:....
I can't vote for who is in charge in the EU whilst I can vote for an MEP correct....

You can't vote for who is in charge of the UK either.

Or in another sense, you vote for who is in charge of both in exactly the same way: the leader of the party with the most MPs generally becomes prime minister; the leader of the party with the most MEPs becomes president of the commission.

But thanks to the crap small constituencies and winner-takes-all one-round voting that the UK uses, most of our votes don't count directly for the prime ministerial decision. The EU election system is actually better, although I prefer the better-yet ones currently used for Scottish and Northern Irish elections.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.