Plywood: Material of the Modern World

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Plywood: Material of the Modern World

Post by mercalia »

Plywood: Material of the Modern World is at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, from 15 July to 12 November

well maybe worth a lookin if you are visiting London then?

"The rise of synthetic adhesives, developed in the 1930s, created what one historian has called the “petrochemical house” – homes drenched with toxic substances that would unleash formaldehyde on their unsuspecting residents. There are now standards for adhesives, but they are difficult to enforce, particularly now that the vast bulk of plywood is manufactured in China and south-east Asia, where the use of illegally logged wood is also on the rise, the forbidden timber being easily hidden away in the layers." :oops:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/jul/12/plywood-material-of-the-modern-world-va?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=234767&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
Audax67

Re: Plywood: Material of the Modern World

Post by Audax67 »

With, as a by-product, MDF for the modern world. :(
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pwa

Post by pwa »

It's got some very good engineering properties, though. If kept dry. I can't remember the last time I bought any though. All the stuff in my house was already here when we moved in about twenty years ago. I've just moved it around as I've modified things to improve insulation, etc.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

It is good material. I've used exterior ply for outdoors stuff and its lasted for a good 10-15 years with only now the ply delaminating.... that wasn't marine ply either. That seems to cost a lot but must be the goto ply when in very wet, constantly damp conditions( boats clearly ).

Then we have one of the best uses of plywood

Well at the time anyway. We needed it.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

1080738-large.jpg

My Evans Vp1 ..... mostly plywood, but very good plywood ......

Like the slightly faster aeroplane above .... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.